PDA

View Full Version : Private Trackers and Safety !

Soulxp
09-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Hello all

Why many torrent users say that private trackers are secure more than free torrent sites ? can't any one register in private trackers including the anti piracy ppl ?

give me your opinion on this.

Thanks

punki_rach
09-13-2008, 09:42 PM
They say it's more secure, not 100% secure

Funkin'
09-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Hello all

Why many torrent users say that private trackers are secure more than free torrent sites ? can't any one register in private trackers including the anti piracy ppl ?

give me your opinion on this.

Thanks

Yes. As long as they're invited. I wouldn't worry about it though if you're just a regular member at sites. 'They' usually go after the owners and staff of trackers(maybe the uploaders too). If you want real privacy then start downloading from Usenet.

integral
09-13-2008, 09:45 PM
None of this stuff is really 100% secure, but it's much easier for some p2p warrior to hop on tpb and collect data transfer logs, ips, and things like that. With some more 'secure' sites (less than 5k users), it may be harder for such a person to get access.

Soulxp
09-13-2008, 10:10 PM
don't they go after top seeders (not uploaders), they can find a list of top 10 users in each tracker !

dhoparu
09-13-2008, 10:34 PM
So never be among the ranks.....

IdolEyes787
09-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Not very likely have you seen some of those stats.:ohmy:

Soulxp unless you are some kind of maniacal user or live in some totalitarian country that I am unaware of ,no one cares if you pirate a bit of crap off of the internet.

If you are that concerned simply don't do it.

curtanwoo
09-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Soulxp unless you are some kind of maniacal user or live in some totalitarian country that I am unaware of ,no one cares if you pirate a bit of crap off of the internet.

Do you mean like the US? :whistling

Nah, just kidding. You can never be too careful when it comes to these things, but listen to IdolEyes787. He's right to a big extent. You get a long way just by using common sense (i.e. not posting personal stuff on your profile) and that should be enough in most cases.

respawn40
09-14-2008, 12:26 AM
no one cares if you pirate a bit of crap off of the internet.

The U.S. does :unsure:

IdolEyes787
09-14-2008, 12:59 AM
A small well funded special interest group in the U.S. cares.
But like I previously said use some discretion don't go overboard and you will be fine.
Because unless I am greatly misinformed the justice system has more pressing concerns than to pursue legal action against 15 year olds for their indiscretions.

Zaxx
09-14-2008, 01:23 AM
Authorities are less likely to spend all the time, effort and legal resources to go after a private site with 5 or 10k members. Their money/resources are better spent going after the biggest trackers..i.e. public trackers. Tho I wouldn't feel too comfortable on any private site that is hosted in the US..i.e. Elite Torrents.

fst
09-14-2008, 01:26 AM
Because private trackers have ratio system if you dont want respect rules you are baned or you become to leech and you lost this acc .Private trackers are not for only member

kelfa
09-14-2008, 03:12 AM
As long as your not running torrents 24/7 all the time you should be ok regardless. Like others said, use some common sense, don't go ridicules.

Ya I think privates are a little safer as well. PG blocks a lot more IP's on TPB than on privates. I barely get any IP's blocked anymore.

Soulxp
09-14-2008, 11:08 AM
You mean they will go after U.S. trackers only !

there is a tracker owner from Latvia got busted !

And he is outside the U.S. ;)

No one is safe.

unless you download at all.

curtanwoo
09-14-2008, 12:24 PM
This will never be 100 % safe before copyright laws change. Though, I've been downloading, sharing, copying etc. since the beginning of the 90's using various methods. (Started out with BBS in the beginning of time.) I've never had any problems, and I've never been overly cautious. Sometimes you could even say I've been reckless. I'm much more cautious these days, just to play it safe.

The thing is, nowadays they tend to do stuff like:
1. Try to nail the guys who run the tracker.
2. Go on public trackers, find out peoples IP's and start threatening people.
3. Nail people on Direct Connect.
4. (Oh, and of course they go after the scene badly, but that doesn't concern you if you stick to bittorrent.)

Basically, if you're paranoid, don't use public trackers or direct connect. When it comes to private trackers, your risk is less than minimal.

The Wanderer
09-14-2008, 12:55 PM
If you want real privacy then start downloading from Usenet.

Not long ago I read an article that the next target for anti piracy organizations is the Usenet. I guess things will change pretty quick in this area.

Authorities are less likely to spend all the time, effort and legal resources to go after a private site with 5 or 10k members.

I completely agree, the smaller the user base the better.

Soulxp
09-17-2008, 11:18 AM
>Curtanwoo

What do u mean they go after the scene ? is it a group or a type of files?

sorry for the noob Q ;)

Disme
09-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Because private trackers have ratio system if you dont want respect rules you are baned or you become to leech and you lost this acc .Private trackers are not for only member

I don't think anybody really understood what you were saying. Actually I don't think you even understood the OP's question.

If you are concerned with being haunted by authorities, don't use P2P.
Otherwise try to limit your risks by using the smaller torrenting communities.

Sonnentier
09-17-2008, 03:02 PM
What do u mean they go after the scene ? is it a group or a type of files?
it's a highly organized group of people that brings files to the net,
such as new movies, cracked applications etc.

> aboutthescene.com

Ya I think privates are a little safer as well. PG blocks a lot more IP's on TPB than on privates.
With the ongoing use of p2p, the industry started cease & desisting users on a massive scale. To gather information, they hire the services of an anti-p2p company such as media-defender. There are several businesses like that - we see a demand from copyright holders, so there are also firms that deliver.

And if you look at them - they aren't really 'undercover agents'. Rather just look where most people are, and try to snoop around. With an open-source client it's easy to have a tool, and with open torrents it's easy to hook in.

With this procedure they get masses of addresses in no time - big bundles which they can sell to the MAFIAA. Like research showed, the list might include network printers and so on. They don't double check, whatever has contact with them gets logged. Often they have many peers in there at once, operating some kind of "uber-peer".

Private sites make this harvesting much more difficult, by creating darknets that require human interaction. Snooping isn't profitable there :P

Swift
09-17-2008, 03:08 PM
private trackers are for above averrage IQ people :) still doesn`t mean that is safe but it`s closer then public trackers

Squizzle
09-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Difference is, private trackers get busted by proper authorities and the admins go to jail.

Public trackers are full of anti-piracy agencies taking IP addresses and sending cease and desist letters to ISPs, to pass onto the customers.

That's about all there is to it.

rvt
09-17-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure oink ever had people working at the diplomatic level to get them shut down though, unlike TPB :P

Soulxp
09-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Sonnentier .. Thanks

iLOVENZB
09-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Also the more ppl dont know about it the more 'secure' it is. There are ways the Anti-piracy organizations can infiltrate the tracker.

One word Oink (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2007/oct/24/anotherraidanotherarrestoi).

helpme
09-18-2008, 11:10 AM
nothing is safety 100%
thats it :D

womanizer
09-18-2008, 11:15 AM
nothing is safety 100%
thats it :D

you are right ;)

t0mmy
09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
id still prefer private trackers than public anyday

Tokeman
09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Everyone I know that uses(used) public trackers have received warning letters, I have received none.
Private trackers ftw.

Night0wl
09-18-2008, 07:07 PM
My ISP doesn't even forward any letters received. MAFIAA laws don't apply here :D

Not that I would receive any, since it is the people that use public trackers, Limewire, DC etc.

Soulxp
09-24-2008, 11:00 PM
I use my seedbox to download from private trackers ! Is it safe ?
will they contact me if they got the IP of the seedbox ?

I live in Middeleast .

thanks

dunson
09-24-2008, 11:07 PM
I use my seedbox to download from private trackers ! Is it safe ?
will they contact me if they got the IP of the seedbox ?

I live in Middeleast .

thanks

You will be fine, chill out. ;)

iLOVENZB
09-24-2008, 11:37 PM
My ISP doesn't even forward any letters received. MAFIAA laws don't apply here :D.

Mine doesnt either, its against their client confidentiality claims.

I live in Middeleast

They probably would now lol jokes.