PDA

View Full Version : PeerGuardian 2.0

EyeCandy
09-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Does anyone use peerguardian?

Overlord
09-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I use the IPFilterX lists for uTorrent's internal IP filter.

EyeCandy
09-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Wow...doing some research, after you said that..I had no idea utorrent had an internal IP filter...after all this time...its gotta be better than peerguardian, since its more than likely that PG is also blocking me from seeds and peers...

Dithersky
09-23-2008, 02:44 PM
If you use azureus or utorrent you can use ip filters integrated in them.

users
09-23-2008, 02:45 PM
where is the filter in utorrent??

puckface
09-23-2008, 02:49 PM
on the left

EyeCandy
09-23-2008, 02:53 PM
It was already activated by default. (on mine anyways)

You just need to download an 'ipfiliter.dat' file and put it in utorrents folder

I just deleted PG :P

And I don't know anything about the IPFilterX list that he was talking about. I just grab the one from bluetack, (the same people who wrote SafePeer for the Azureus BT client) at http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/nipfilter.dat.gz You have to rename the file to "ipfilter.dat".

dunson
09-23-2008, 03:21 PM
I don't see a need given the trackers I use.

EyeCandy
09-23-2008, 03:26 PM

That doesn't make any sense. Didn't some private sites, and their uploaders get in trouble, Lokitorrents, elite torrents, the original torrentbits even Oink, went down(and people are always getting cease and desist letters)...unless you unplug your internet, you will always be at risk...

http://www.torrentspy.com/ still has their good bye letter up still ;P

dunson
09-23-2008, 03:44 PM

That doesn't make any sense. Didn't some private sites, and their uploaders get in trouble, Lokitorrents, elite torrents, the original torrentbits even Oink, went down(and people are always getting cease and desist letters)...unless you unplug your internet, you will always be at risk...

http://www.torrentspy.com/ still has their good bye letter up still ;P

To clarify, I don't use big, insecure sites. Also, I'm pretty sure that those sites were not brought down because people did not block IPs. They were brought down by infiltrating to obtain info, not just IPs, then subpoenaing/confiscating the servers and obtaining info straight from the database by serving a warrant on the host. The IP mining that PG blocks occurs on sites like TPB, Demonoid, TL, sites that are huge, easy to get into and allow them to send notice to your ISP, which isn't such a big deal anyway.

utlucian
09-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Maybe I should check into peergaurdian. I tried it before, but didn't think it really did much other than slow things down.

EyeCandy
09-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Sites are brought down, but you didn't even notice the fact, that many people are given cease and desist letters from the ESA and their ISP alive...

dunson
09-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Sites are brought down, but you didn't even notice the fact, that many people are given cease and desist letters from the ESA and their ISP alive...

...which is the "not a big deal" result of an ISP receiving a notice that I mentioned. I'm not in the EU, but the law is essentially the same and I understand what happens when an ISP is noticed and know why.

parah
09-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Never used PeerGuardian, beacause I think it's just false security.

hit79
09-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes, i use this great soft almost 2 years ago.Very good for ant p2p and anti spy.

colbert
09-24-2008, 04:18 AM
I really don't think Peerguardian provides you any more security than without it. Surely the various copyright authorities know about this and similar blocklists and have workarounds.

Funkin'
09-24-2008, 04:31 AM
I was using PG up to a few days ago, and now I don't see any use for it since I only use private trackers. I will check out the ipfilter.dat that Raven mentioned.

4rainertunes
09-24-2008, 04:42 AM
Speaking of false sense of security, I think you could say the same about private trackers. If we're smart enough to get into those uber-elite level 11 sites, what makes you think the RIAA/MPAA/etc couldn't do the same? It wouldn't surprise me if the copyright police are on EVERY private tracker, just waiting to strike when the time is right. They're probably here on FST too.

Logic would tell you that they're more interested in public trackers with a lot of users. But the point of these busts is to scare the people they don't catch. They'll never stop filesharing, but if they can scare some of us off by taking out a private tracker or two (ie Oink), then they've fulfilled their mission. I'm almost positive that some high-level tracker will go down in the next couple of years.

And I do use Peerguardian. I don't have any illusions that it's foolproof, but even if it makes me 1% safer, then it's better than nothing.

dr jones
09-24-2008, 04:45 AM
to all

i was wondering which one is better

peergardian or ipfilter or other software or none

Funkin'
09-24-2008, 04:49 AM
When I was using 1.7.7 I use an ipfilter in uTorrent. And I believe uTorrent would show all the ip's it was blocking in the Logger tab.

Now I"m using 1.8. And I grabbed the ipfilter in Raven's link, renamed it, through it my uTorrent folder that is in Application Data. And ipfilter was already set to Enabled in Advance setting in uTorrent. But it's showing no ip's being blocked in the Logger tab.

EDIT: Nevermind, I copied and pasted the actual word ipfilter.dat that Raven typed in his post, instead of typing it myself, and renamed the .dat to it. But he misspelled ipfilter and I didn't catch it until now. :rolleyes:

ericab
09-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Never used PeerGuardian, because I think it's just false security.

ummm....

5 times ?

bladesharp
09-24-2008, 06:59 AM
I dont think all these are going to help much....

fOrUmAs
09-24-2008, 09:01 AM
i use PG and ipfilter for utorrent

better than nothing

pentomato
09-24-2008, 09:22 AM
But you can use the encryption from utorrent too

parah
09-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Never used PeerGuardian, because I think it's just false security.

ummm....

5 times ?

Yeah, well... The forums were slow as hell, and I clicked "Submit reply" maybe a little too much :D

Perhaps a moderator should remove those extra posts ;)

Disme
09-24-2008, 09:52 AM

The purpose of using encryption and using Peerguardian are completely different. One has nothing to do with the other.

EyeCandy
09-24-2008, 11:12 AM
EDIT: Nevermind, I copied and pasted the actual word ipfilter.dat that Raven typed in his post, instead of typing it myself, and renamed the .dat to it. But he misspelled ipfilter and I didn't catch it until now. :rolleyes:

Whats the correct spelling of ipfilter.dat....I don't think i misspelled anything...

becomehokage
09-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Does anyone use peerguardian?
Whats that?

dunson
09-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Speaking of false sense of security, I think you could say the same about private trackers. If we're smart enough to get into those uber-elite level 11 sites, what makes you think the RIAA/MPAA/etc couldn't do the same? It wouldn't surprise me if the copyright police are on EVERY private tracker, just waiting to strike when the time is right. They're probably here on FST too.

Logic would tell you that they're more interested in public trackers with a lot of users. But the point of these busts is to scare the people they don't catch. They'll never stop filesharing, but if they can scare some of us off by taking out a private tracker or two (ie Oink), then they've fulfilled their mission. I'm almost positive that some high-level tracker will go down in the next couple of years.

And I do use Peerguardian. I don't have any illusions that it's foolproof, but even if it makes me 1% safer, then it's better than nothing.

Of course it is possible. The difference of danger is clearly one of size and access. Of course they could probably infiltrate FTN, but they are more likely to go after What & Waffles, or Bitsoup or TorrentLeech or Scenetorrents. I doubt they are on every single private tracker, though I bet they are on most of those I mention.

I think we will see, sooner rather than later, a major takedown of torrent sites. The last few years they have been chasing many trackers from host to host, and it is only a matter of time before a sysop doesn't run fast enough or a host doesn't defend hard enough.

vodopija
09-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Just done some research and found out this page http://www.teckh.com/?p=185 with script to automatically download files from internet. Did some modifications to rename the file after downloading.

Script:

'===DemoGetImageStream.vbs===
'
'Requires:
'
' - IE 5+ for "Microsoft.XMLHTTP"
' - ADO 2.5+ for "adodb.stream"
'
sSrcUrl = "http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/"
sDestFolder = "d:\"
sImageFile = "nipfilter.dat.gz"

set oHTTP = WScript.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

oHTTP.open "GET", sSrcUrl & sImageFile, False
oHTTP.send

set oStream = createobject("adodb.stream")
Const adTypeBinary = 1
Const adSaveCreateOverWrite = 2
oStream.type = adTypeBinary
oStream.open
oStream.write oHTTP.responseBody
oStream.savetofile sDestFolder & sImageFile, adSaveCreateOverWrite

set oStream = nothing
set oHTTP = nothing

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
objFSO.MoveFile "d:\nipfilter.dat.gz" , "d:\ipfilter.dat"

WScript.Echo "Done..."

Just copy script to notepad and save as script.vbs (or some other name). Use scheduler to run it every week. Just change folders to one uTorrent uses.

vodopija
09-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Just done some research and found out this page http://www.teckh.com/?p=185 with script to automatically download files from internet. Did some modifications to rename the file after downloading.

Script:

'
'Requires:
'
'
sSrcUrl = "http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/"
sImageFile = "nipfilter.dat.gz"

oHTTP.send

Const adTypeBinary = 1
oStream.open

set oStream = nothing
set oHTTP = nothing

objFSO.MoveFile "d:\nipfilter.dat.gz" , "d:\ipfilter.dat"

WScript.Echo "Done..."

Just copy script to notepad and save as script.vbs (or some other name). Use scheduler to run it every week. Just change folders to one uTorrent uses.

vodopija
09-24-2008, 12:40 PM

Script:

'
'Requires:
'
'
sSrcUrl = "http://from where you get list"
sImageFile = "list.dat"

oHTTP.send

Const adTypeBinary = 1
oStream.open

set oStream = nothing
set oHTTP = nothing

If objFSO.FileExists("d:\ipfilter.dat") Then
objFSO.deletefile("d:\ipfilter.dat")
Else

objFSO.MoveFile "d:\list.dat" , "d:\ipfilter.dat"

End If

WScript.Echo "Done..."

Just copy script to notepad and save as script.vbs (or some other name). Use scheduler to run it every week. Just change folders to one uTorrent uses. If it gives you error Access denied in Vista go to this site for solution http://blogs.msdn.com/jpsanders/archive/2008/01/15/msxml3-dll-access-is-denied-msxml4-dll-access-is-denied.aspx. Download link is no longer working, and forgot to mention list must be uncompressed or download uncompressed list. If is compressed add (below Else line):

Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
objShell.exec "C:\Program Files\WinRAR\winrar.exe x -y d:\nipfilter.dat.gz d:\"
wscript.sleep 5000

I hate lag.

EDIT: added line to check if file exist and rewrite it

pentomato
09-24-2008, 04:15 PM

The purpose of using encryption and using Peerguardian are completely different. One has nothing to do with the other.

The point is not to be catch isn't it? Then it gets the same purpose, been almost invisible and getting data that almost nobody can see, well it is the samething I think, if it is not explain the difference then.

EyeCandy
09-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Uhhhh, you been a member since 06 and dont know what encryption is...

What encryption is for...

Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are actively interfering with P2P activities to reduce their bandwidth requirements.
This causes the download speeds of file sharing programs, to become slow. To avoid this, µTorrent and other clients
have introduced Protocol Encryption to prevent ISPs from identifying BitTorrent traffic.

pentomato
09-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Uhhhh, you been a member since 06 and dont know what encryption is...

What encryption is for...

Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are actively interfering with P2P activities to reduce their bandwidth requirements.
This causes the download speeds of file sharing programs, to become slow. To avoid this, µTorrent and other clients
have introduced Protocol Encryption to prevent ISPs from identifying BitTorrent traffic.

That's the samething I wrote, but you had to copy it, at least you should have used your own words, but anyway thanks for nothing.

Funkin'
09-25-2008, 06:53 AM

Whats the correct spelling of ipfilter.dat....I don't think i misspelled anything...

Actually you did. You spelled ipfiliter.dat(by the way, I copied and pasted that from your initial post just now). Notice there is an "i" after "l". No biggie, simple mistake. I just didn't catch it when I copied and pasted it.

By the way, I was keeping any eye on uTorrent last night when it had the ipfilter that you linked enabled in it, and I was getting much slower speeds in uTorrent. And as soon as I deleted the ipfilter, my downloads would jump right back up to my max. So I think it may be blocking way too many peers. The I would paste the ipfilter back into the folder and re-enable it, and my downloads would again slow down. So I just scrapped the .dat.

Have you had this problem at all with the one you linked?

tyn624
09-25-2008, 04:10 PM
i just added the ipfiletrx ipfilter.dat to ut and found quite a bit of bad ips trying to connect and i had torrents only from private trackers running