PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Cooler

apextwin146
09-25-2008, 05:55 AM
I have a toshiba xli/Sli3 .. I has 8600gt in Sli and a 17" screen .. Lately its started getting really hot .. I mean like 90 degrees if i play a game for some time or burn 2-3 DVDs in a row ..
So do you guys knw any good laptop coolers?
I was thinking abt the NZXT one and the following one :
[quote]
Antec has just updated its cooling solution line-up by introducing a not-so-little something to make and keep your laptop cool. Officially named the Antec Notebook Cooler 200, the device measures 13.8 (H) by 19 (W) by 4.2 (D) inches, can be powered via USB and features a blue LED-equipped 200 mm fan that can work at either 400 or 600 RPM (rotations per minute).

[\quote]
http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=21914&catid=2

So any inputs?
EDIT: the avg temps here are 30-35 degrees in case anyone wanted to knw

kahni
09-25-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't know if it will help you, but I got an Alienware notebook which is getting extremely hot.

I tried different models of cooling pads and now I have got a chinese brand "core cool". It is made out of aluminum and the fans blow against the notebook. It really is a good product but I think if you do not plan on visiting China, you might have problems getting one.

apextwin146
09-25-2008, 10:24 AM
i dont plan on visiting china .. thanks for the input
anymore globally acceptable solutions?

clocker
09-25-2008, 12:21 PM
What do you mean "lately its started getting really hot"?
Did it used to be OK?

If so, a good cleaning- it's probably just inhaled a lot of dust- should restore it to cool-running condition.

apextwin146
09-25-2008, 12:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing but sadly there arnt any air cans available here to clean it and i dont wanna waste a weekend opening it and cleaning it from the inside or do you have any suggestions on how to go abt doing a quick clean?

clocker
09-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Whether or not it's convenient for you to clean it is irrelevant- if it's clogged with dust, no external cooler is going to help.
Unfortunately, laptops are a PITA to work on- that's the price you pay for the convenience you wanted.

At all costs avoid the quick and dirty attempt to blast the openings with high pressure air.
First of all, it's unlikely you'll get it very clean and you risk trashing the small and fragile fans that laptops must use.

apextwin146
09-25-2008, 01:52 PM
another weekend gone .. but lets after i clean it up which cooler should i go for ?

clocker
09-25-2008, 02:00 PM
After it's clean and working properly, will it need a cooler?

devilsadvocate
09-25-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't have dust or overheating problems with my notebook, just the regular heat generation, but I got a $30 usb power supply dual fan cooling pad from walmart and it works very well. Even after several hours use the notebook feels almost as cool as it does if turned off.
So although I can't say one would solve your problem I can attest that the things do work.

apextwin146
09-25-2008, 02:59 PM
^ thanks mate .. I am kinda looking for a cooler since my laptop is on 24/5 for downloading n all . (My desktop has been reduced to a pile of dirt and empty beer cans,doritos packets)

brotherdoobie
09-25-2008, 11:19 PM
^ thanks mate .. I am kinda looking for a cooler since my laptop is on 24/5 for downloading n all . (My desktop has been reduced to a pile of dirt and empty beer cans,doritos packets)

Coolers work great. However, you're going to have to clean those fans. Compressed air works fine for cleaning the fans of a laptop, but you want to prevent the fans from spinning, while you're cleaning them.

For two reasons: compressed air can spin the bearings faster than the bearings are designed for, thus damaging them. While being spun by compressed air, the motor becomes a generator, thus applying reverse power to the motherboard and/or power supply circuits, possibly causing damage there as well.

You shouldn't leave your laptop on all day, btw. Shut it down, at least once a day for an extended period of time.

Heat is not your friend.

-bd

lynx
09-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Don't copy the trick I heard about.

Some guy, after cleaning out his laptop for the third time, decided to make sure dust didn't get inside in the first place. So he covered all the "holes" with tape. :pinch:
Strangely enough, he only once had the problem of the laptop overheating after that.

apextwin146
09-26-2008, 10:03 AM

Coolers work great. However, you're going to have to clean those fans. Compressed air works fine for cleaning the fans of a laptop, but you want to prevent the fans from spinning, while you're cleaning them.

For two reasons: compressed air can spin the bearings faster than the bearings are designed for, thus damaging them. While being spun by compressed air, the motor becomes a generator, thus applying reverse power to the motherboard and/or power supply circuits, possibly causing damage there as well.

You shouldn't leave your laptop on all day, btw. Shut it down, at least once a day for an extended period of time.

Heat is not your friend.

-bd
Thanks ... i was also thinking abt swichting of the laptop for some time evryday .. Its true the convenience comes at a price ..
But if i just keep it on for downloading stuff should it stay that hot?

Don't copy the trick I heard about.

Some guy, after cleaning out his laptop for the third time, decided to make sure dust didn't get inside in the first place. So he covered all the "holes" with tape. :pinch:
Strangely enough, he only once had the problem of the laptop overheating after that.
:lol: ..I will surely take that into account .. did the tape melt eventually?:unsure: