PDA

View Full Version : Riaa Amnesty.....

hey_suburbia
09-05-2003, 03:43 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The recording industry is expected to announce as early as next week an amnesty program for people who admit they illegally share music files across the Internet, promising not to sue them in exchange for their admission and pledge to delete the songs off their computers.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/0...y.ap/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/05/music.amnesty.ap/index.html)

Who's signing up?

Celerystalksme
09-05-2003, 03:55 PM
yeah i might sign up...NOT! :ph34r:

Illuminati
09-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Considering that the RIAA has at present no direct jurisdiction on where I and many others on the forum live (the UK)...

I'm gonna have to go with a "I'd have to be crazy to admit that and get no real pay-off" response

N£MO
09-05-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by hey_suburbia@5 September 2003 - 16:43
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The recording industry is expected to announce as early as next week an amnesty program for people who admit they illegally share music files across the Internet, promising not to sue them in exchange for their admission and pledge to delete the songs off their computers.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/0...y.ap/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/05/music.amnesty.ap/index.html)

Who's signing up?
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

CrumbCat
09-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by hey_suburbia@5 September 2003 - 08:43

Who's signing up?
Fred von Lohmann, a lawyer for the San Francisco-based Electronic Frontier Foundation, said "It's not the kind of agreement that most people's lawyers will embrace."

Enough said.

This reply (or lack thereof) has been brought to you as a courtesy of CrumbCat.
© Copyright 2003 by CrumbCat, all rights reserved.

Gre1
09-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Why would someone want to sign up for that, they might trick u and say u are confessing to sharing music and try to sue u anyway.

wormless
09-05-2003, 05:07 PM
one thing to say to tht stfu and wtf!!! opps soz thts 3things lol

Mr. Sherman
09-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Gre1@5 September 2003 - 17:03
Why would someone want to sign up for that, they might trick u and say u are confessing to sharing music and try to sue u anyway.
We at RIAA are a very fair, fun bunch of people. If we decide to go forward with the Amnesty Program, you can rest assured we will act completely fair in all future legal actions.

You have my word.

Unfortunately, this news leaked out of our main office, and I am now in the process of tracking down the individual(s) who is responsible for prematurely dispersing this information.

If, and I emphasize 'if', we do allow said Amnesty Program to be put into action, all my friends here at the K-Lite Discussion Board will be the first to know.

I will personally be disallowing one user to participate in the Amnesty Program. That user is my Now Arch Enemy, "Shermanator". Good luck to you, you coward. . . you are obviously afraid of me and my team RIAA lawyers, or you would have the courage to include your picture as you Avatar, instead of leaving it blank.

Sincerely,

Mr. Sherman

Celerystalksme
09-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Sherman+6 September 2003 - 03:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr. Sherman @ 6 September 2003 - 03:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gre1@5 September 2003 - 17:03
We at RIAA are a very fair, fun bunch of people. If we decide to go forward with the Amnesty Program, you can rest assured we will act completely fair in all future legal actions.

You have my word.

Unfortunately, this news leaked out of our main office, and I am now in the process of tracking down the individual(s) who is responsible for prematurely dispersing this information.

If, and I emphasize &#39;if&#39;, we do allow said Amnesty Program to be put into action, all my friends here at the K-Lite Discussion Board will be the first to know.

I will personally be disallowing one user to participate in the Amnesty Program. That user is my Now Arch Enemy, "Shermanator". Good luck to you, you coward. . . you are obviously afraid of me and my team RIAA lawyers, or you would have the courage to include your picture as you Avatar, instead of leaving it blank.

Sincerely,

Mr. Sherman [/b][/quote]
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Celerystalksme
09-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Oh and btw if i ever make it in the music industry...if you like my shit i will give you guys my expressed permission to download and spread it everywhere...all around the world...i don&#39;t care if i don&#39;t make a cent from it...at least people all around the world will hear my music...and i think thats the point no one gets...bands want to get noticed...not get money...they want to get noticed cause they want their message to be heard...and thats the way i feel...

javakel
09-05-2003, 05:55 PM
That&#39;s just silly. I would think that an organization like the RIAA would have a bit more forethought than that. Even if people ARE foolish enough to fall for this little ploy, the little blurb makes no mention of the specifics of complying with such an agreement. So the conditions of this little "plea-bargain" are that one confesses to violating copyright laws and then removing said files from the computer and agree to cease any current and future filesharing. AHHH...okay. But the stupid boobs didn&#39;t say that the "accused" couldn&#39;t put the files SOMEWHERE ELSE&#33;

In theory, either because of the inability of the "brainchild" (all involved can be lumped into one parasitic entity no-doubt) to form a complete, cognizant, and concise thought, or as the result of mere laziness and incompetance, one could comply and not lose everything they have downloaded by burning them and THEN DELETING THE FILES FROM THEIR PC&#33;

Of course this is silly and anyone who would actually AGREE to this nonsense should be kicked in the melon and have their chest caved in with the carcass of a once rabid squirrel&#33;&#33; :angry:

After all, there still is the condition in such a "contract", which resembles an extortionist ploy more than an actual agreement since those who are "guilty" are really getting screwed...and they aren&#39;t even given the option to use a lil&#39; KY Jelly, that they agree to stop all filesharing activity at present and in the future. And THAT&#39;S exactly the objection to it&#33;&#33; This extends way beyond mere "fairness" and "financial responsibility". It&#39;s about the ability for us (especially Americans, as it seems those in the UK aren&#39;t immediately affected by this at the present time) to be free agents...autonomous...without some larger agency "keeping tabs" on us and conducting unmitigated surveilence and censure. Bleh&#33;

Good luck trying to bust me for this kinda crap. FINE??&#33;&#33; Heh...good luck...I don&#39;t have any flippin&#39; money anyway. Where are they gonna get it from? Pull it outta their....? <_<

mogadishu
09-05-2003, 06:20 PM
this sounds like some fascist roundup or something. its what the us does to immigrants, tell them to come somewhere and they will get a green card then arrest them.