PDA

View Full Version : What The Hell!

bronco
09-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Ive just rebooted my comp and im getting a tick,tick,ticking sound from my
comp WTF!

Apart from it being very annoying hearing this, im also thinking this can't be right

No idea whats going on here, anyone have any ideas...hope it's not
going to explode :lol:

3rd gen noob
09-05-2003, 06:57 PM
dodgy fan possibly?

Lamsey
09-05-2003, 07:09 PM
It's the processor clock ;)

KANADIANborn
09-05-2003, 07:27 PM
I had a similar problem (sounds like when the CD-ROM's laser jerks back&forth). Found out, after it stopped working, it was my hard-drive. By chance, are you using an 'older' HD (older than 4-5 years)?

I hope it's not, but....

Lamsey
09-05-2003, 07:34 PM
You're not playing Genesis' No Son Of Mine are you?

Seriously, the two suggestions above are the most likely answer - it's probably one of your drives.

clocker
09-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Look to the HD indeed.

Make some backups quick.

Open up the case and check to see if something got stuck in the fans, but my Mom's HD started ticking before it took a dump, so that seems most likely to me.

3rd gen noob
09-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by clocker@5 September 2003 - 19:34
my Mom's HD started ticking before it took a dump
a little tip here, always house train your drives

mogadishu
09-05-2003, 08:16 PM
hehe

namzuf9
09-05-2003, 08:40 PM
As said before, check the fans and HDD.
I had the same kinda problem before and ignored it until my comp started randomly crashing. I took it apart to find the CPU fan was clogged up with MDF dust (always cover your PC before doing any DIY!) So if your in a dusty envoirment I'd look to the fans first and then the HDD.

Somebody1234
09-05-2003, 09:01 PM
Is the ticking sound from the speakers or the internal speaker? Open the case and listen... Tell us where you hear it then.

namzuf9
09-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Somebody1234@5 September 2003 - 21:01
Is the ticking sound from the speakers or the internal speaker? Open the case and listen... Tell us where you hear it then.
Yeah, well, you could if you wanted to go for the most easiest and obvious option first!

Good point Somebody, I really did'nt think of that!

bronco
09-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Sorry for the delay getting back to ya all, ive been out ;)

Hmm, where to start, so much good advice :)

Ok defo not speaker related, but my inside of my comp is pretty damn dusty so
im thinking the fan route now as mentioned is to blame ( why does it make my comp
'tick' tho :unsure: )

I don't think it's me HD, as ive not had a prob with it....yet! and my comp
is only a year or so old.

I'll take it apart in the morning and have a closer look, if you don't hear
from me again...assume the worst :lol:

balamm
09-06-2003, 03:33 AM
I've seen and heard the ticking hard drive problem many times. I don't know the exact process but in every case, it was a faulty CD Rom causing some sort of read error or cycling. Removed the CD Rom and the hard drives became quiet again, no further problems.
Evem some new CD Roms have caused this cycling, the IDE LED's will flash alternately in some cases and lock up all drives.

bronco
09-06-2003, 05:15 PM
Im back :)

Glad to say ive not made things worse! which is pretty good for me :D

Ok, i had a good clean out of the dust and general cr@p that had been lodged in the
insides but on rebooting still ticking noise :(

Took it apart again and had a 'poke' about! tightning a few screws and still nothing.

Thinking now that it's a trip to the store where i bought it as it's still under warrenty BUT as a last resort i went into Setup(Del) at the start and changed all settings to optimised
defaults and hey presto ticking solved :D

Still not sure what solved it to be honest, but i don't give a :swear: :P

Cheers for all the advice ppl :beerchug: