PDA

View Full Version : Restarting Dead Dowloads

Louis Wu
09-05-2003, 08:25 PM
I've had a few movie downloads just sat there for days ... weeks even ...without moving much. I kept searching for more sources hoping I'd catch a good one, but no success of course. My guess is I filled up the dat files with snail's pace or no-longer-online sources. Finally I used K-Dat to delete all the crappy sources from my dat files and started searching over again. I won't say it's boosted my downloading speeds to infinity and beyond but it has at least given them a jump-start ....

Anyone out there got enough of a kazaa brain to figure out whether this is actually a tip, or if its just a fluke?

cheers

3rd gen noob
09-05-2003, 08:28 PM
it's a tip, however, i believe it has been mentioned before

Louis Wu
09-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Just thought it might be worth mentioning. A lot of people around here seem to be having the same problem I had (i.e. downloads not connecting to more than one source, or only connecting at very slow speeds) and this has cured it for me.
After deleted the old sources and searching for new ones all my downloads are back to full speed ahead captain.
Sorry if it's repitition, but it might just help a couple of people out.

fugley
09-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Nice one - I will vouch for this - just tried it - and resurrected one very dead download!! :D

fugley
09-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Actually help!!

I think I was doing it wrong - every time I try to delete a source for a file I get an I/O error 32 message. Could someone please put me right??

Thanks

Louis Wu
09-06-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm pretty sure it's cos you have Kazaa open when you're trying it. I vaguely recall that's what happened when I tried to delete sources of active (but very slow) downloads. Just stop KL++ while you delete the sources.... i think.
Sorry ...i'm getting old and my memory fails me with increasing regularity.... i think.

fugley
09-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Thanks I'll try now (have also posted this a question in the question section). :blink:

Louis Wu
09-06-2003, 11:13 AM
My failing memory and I wish you luck.

fugley
09-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Louis Wu@6 September 2003 - 11:13
My failing memory and I wish you luck.
Nothing wrong with your memory on this one my friend - you are entirely correct.

Thanks

:)

Louis Wu
09-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Glad to be of assistance. (and reassured about my ability to remember events less than 1 week old)

elnomad
09-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Make a shortcut to the K-Dat program (saves a lot of trouble).

Before starting KazaaLite, open up K-Dat, use the delete button on the sources side (for the file you&#39;re having problems with). Either Delete all the stored sources, or , just delete the <not stored> ones (should help most of the time).

KazaaLite cycles through the sources when downloading and especially when you click "find more sources" or use the accelerator. What I see is, it&#39;ll look for the first 5 or so in the list, then slowly replace sources not working (no reply) with next few in the list. BIG problem happens when there&#39;s a lot of <not stored> sources in the .dat, so I&#39;ve seen my Kazaalite try to connect to 5 sources with no username (just blank line). It is worse if there are 5 or more <not stored> in a row. Waste of searching time.

Hope this helps. (imho, kazaa shouldn&#39;t store those <not stored> in the first place&#33; Why are they there when they are not stored?&#33;?&#33;)

The Weeman
09-06-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Louis Wu@5 September 2003 - 20:25
I&#39;ve had a few movie downloads just sat there for days ... weeks even ...without moving much. I kept searching for more sources hoping I&#39;d catch a good one, but no success of course. My guess is I filled up the dat files with snail&#39;s pace or no-longer-online sources. Finally I used K-Dat to delete all the crappy sources from my dat files and started searching over again. I won&#39;t say it&#39;s boosted my downloading speeds to infinity and beyond but it has at least given them a jump-start ....

Anyone out there got enough of a kazaa brain to figure out whether this is actually a tip, or if its just a fluke?

cheers
Hello Louis, Just tried your tip. I had one file in particular bairly moving for about 2 weeks and what do you know this works. I never really used the kdat program until today and it gave the dead file a major boost. I also followed "elnomad&#39;s" tip about the shortcut to the program that he posted today and this gave me an insight how to use the program as i cannot access the home page for k-dat. What i also done just for this file was set the asm to unlimited for this one file and as i said it has gave it a major boost cheers guys.

internet.news
09-06-2003, 08:44 PM
I can see that removing sources would help as redundant ones will no longer be checked out when downloading so it cuts down on that activity. As far as the <not stored> sources, I had guessed that whilst the IP+node were stored, KDat hadn&#39;t stored the name (so only the name wasn&#39;t stored). This may be due to the DAT file only supposed to hold about 30 sources (although can be tweaked in K++) and supports only 30 name entries whilst other details are added.

When downloading, is it that the "no-name" sources are not connecting or that when connected, there name is available so what looks like a"no-name" not connecting followed by a "named source" connecting is just the same source (although sometimes they would simply just not be available)?

Is it better to just delete the lowest bandwidth sources?

Feeling dizzy after that&#33;

The Weeman
09-07-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by samsamsamsam@6 September 2003 - 20:44
I can see that removing sources would help as redundant ones will no longer be checked out when downloading so it cuts down on that activity. As far as the <not stored> sources, I had guessed that whilst the IP+node were stored, KDat hadn&#39;t stored the name (so only the name wasn&#39;t stored). This may be due to the DAT file only supposed to hold about 30 sources (although can be tweaked in K++) and supports only 30 name entries whilst other details are added.

When downloading, is it that the "no-name" sources are not connecting or that when connected, there name is available so what looks like a"no-name" not connecting followed by a "named source" connecting is just the same source (although sometimes they would simply just not be available)?

Is it better to just delete the lowest bandwidth sources?

Feeling dizzy after that&#33;
Although i am new to using k-dat i deleted the lowest bandwidth sources and the no-named sources and for me it had a dramatic affect on my slow moving downloads. 1 in particular i have been waiting for a month. Longest i have ever waited for a file. Then following the advice on this topic what do you know it started to download very fast (ex. moving at 0.50kps for the last month on average and then after following the advice was downloading at over 40kps). I hope this helps you.

internet.news
09-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Another thing......every time I&#39;ve tried it (deleting sources) my file gets wiped. Error message "An error occured whil;st processing the file ............"

I&#39;ve got the latest K++ and tools and try it when K++ is not on.

I have however managed to delete "below a certain speed" but it&#39;s the "no sources" option that messes it up.

Luckily, I copy the DL elsewhere before trying it so havn&#39;t lost 90% of the file but any advice would be cool.

Louis Wu
09-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Sorry my man, I really don&#39;t know too much (if indeed anything) about the technical details of K-Dat.
All I can tell you is I&#39;m using Kazaa Lite K++ v2.42. It comes with version 1.2.1 build 6 of K-Dat and it works like a charm with my setup. I wish I could help.

You could try the questions section (but they&#39;d probably just whinge if you don&#39;t make sure to thoroughly scour the faq first eh?? hehe)

Best of luck amigo

internet.news
09-10-2003, 02:17 AM
Thanx Louis Wu,
It&#39;s all working OK now. As soon as I post about a problem it tends to start working.

mogadishu
09-10-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by samsamsamsam@9 September 2003 - 21:17
Thanx Louis Wu,
It&#39;s all working OK now. As soon as I post about a problem it tends to start working.
the little monkeys that process your posts fixed it for you.