PDA

View Full Version : Norton Products

Terminator
09-05-2003, 08:58 PM
i just reinstalled windows xp home edition. After doing this, i downloaded norton internet security 2003, norton antivirus 2003 pro, systemworks 2003. None of them work right. The little globe for internet security-is not there. Nor is the auto protect option enabled in systemworks and antivirus. When i hit enable, nothing happens. please help me

TheFilePirater
09-05-2003, 09:06 PM
did u restart when u installed them, if not then ur setup's are currypt

slimboyfatz
09-05-2003, 09:10 PM
Did u install XP (home) over the top, or do a fresh install?? If its the former then maybe u got remains of the Norton products on ya comp still? This can cause ya all sorts of bother.. :angry: I've found the best results are gained from Uninstalling All Norton products (add/remove programs)..that includes the Live Update program also (anything Symantec related)..then download a small tool called JV16 Power tools from here http://www.macecraft.com/ and use that to check your Registry for any remaining Symantec garbage left around..Then re-install ya Norton products..I had the same sort of trouble switching around from NAV 2002/3/4...but this seemed to fix it all..Hope it helps!!!!! ;)

cosmic doobie
09-05-2003, 09:11 PM
Ya reboot after installation of software.
If they don't work get som more copies from Kazaa :P

slimboyfatz
09-05-2003, 09:12 PM
If any of the above dont work..get y'self Windows XP Pro. (much more stable, and like Norton products better!!!)

LTJBukem
09-05-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Terminator+ 5 September 2003 - 21:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Terminator &#064; 5 September 2003 - 21:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>i just reinstalled windows xp home edition. After doing this, i downloaded norton internet security 2003, norton antivirus 2003 pro, systemworks 2003. None of them work right. The little globe for internet security-is not there. Nor is the auto protect option enabled in systemworks and antivirus. When i hit enable, nothing happens. please help me[/b]

All three products include an AV. Probably wise to uninstall the lot and start again. Do away with Norton AV Pro and just install systemworks and Internet Security. When Intenet security asks whether you wish to install the AV select no. You can&#39;t choose not to install the AV included with systemworks.

Edit

<!--QuoteBegin-slimboyfatz@ 5 September 2003 - 22:12
If any of the above dont work..get y&#39;self Windows XP Pro. (much more stable, and like Norton products better&#33;&#33;&#33;) [/quote]

Ignore this- Hes talking rubbish.

sharedholder
09-05-2003, 09:19 PM
:blink:
downloaded norton internet security 2003, norton antivirus 2003 pro, systemworks 2003 Did you installed all that stuff together??? :blink: :blink:

Terminator
09-05-2003, 09:21 PM
no seperate

LTJBukem
09-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Yes but is it all installed on the same os. If so that is your problem.

sharedholder
09-05-2003, 09:32 PM
If you have all that stuff in your pc ,my advice is to formatt your disk and reinstall XP .I think Norton Internet Security is enough for your pc,you don&#39;t need NSW.

slimboyfatz
09-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem+5 September 2003 - 22:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LTJBukem @ 5 September 2003 - 22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Terminator@ 5 September 2003 - 21:58
i just reinstalled windows xp home edition. After doing this, i downloaded norton internet security 2003, norton antivirus 2003 pro, systemworks 2003. None of them work right. The little globe for internet security-is not there. Nor is the auto protect option enabled in systemworks and antivirus. When i hit enable, nothing happens. please help me

All three products include an AV. Probably wise to uninstall the lot and start again. Do away with Norton AV Pro and just install systemworks and Internet Security. When Intenet security asks whether you wish to install the AV select no. You can&#39;t choose not to install the AV included with systemworks.

Edit

<!--QuoteBegin-slimboyfatz@ 5 September 2003 - 22:12
If any of the above dont work..get y&#39;self Windows XP Pro. (much more stable, and like Norton products better&#33;&#33;&#33;)

Ignore this- Hes talking rubbish. [/b][/quote]
Suck me Chunks&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

Izagaia
09-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@5 September 2003 - 16:18

Both SystemWorks and Internet Security (and Pro) do include NAV (NAV pro if you went with NIS Pro) however, you can option to not install NAV if you wish. Simply highlight the NAV feature on the confirmation screen and a prompt will appear with three options. Choose "make entire feature unavailable".

Terminator
09-05-2003, 10:18 PM
it didnt work- did everything deleted registry keys, reinstalled and nothing. No auto protect

Izagaia
09-05-2003, 10:34 PM
I just paraded through this myself.

I upgraded my exsisting NIS2003 & SystemWorks2003 this morning to their respective "professional" version counterparts. This included upgrading NAV2003 to NAV2003 professional.

I do not know why it does this, but I have found through past errors and experience with NIS and Systemworks that the install works best by first uninstalling ANY previous version of any Norton product you may have had now or inthe past. And then when it comes to actually installing a newer version, install Internet Security first and allow NAV to install with it. Reboot exactly at the time when it directs you to and configure the software options when the program comes up afterwards. Do not piss around and do other things or put it off until later. After which, if you are installing SystemWorks, go ahead and do so and this time select to "make the entire feature unavailable" when it asks for confirmation of installing the included NAV with that particular product. Reboot when it prompts you to. And perform the "live update".

asmithz
09-05-2003, 11:12 PM
I am having the same problem, but have windows xp pro.

Terminator
09-06-2003, 01:59 AM
does anyone know?

Terminator
09-06-2003, 03:06 AM
symantec website had a bunch of crap. It turns out that ccEvtMgr wont start. When i click start it gives an error message. Its prob that. Install/reinstall,nothing works please help

Izagaia
09-06-2003, 03:21 AM
A couple things things may be causing this really. It is difficult to tell because the exact circumstances in which you installed XP Home and the Norton&#39;s products is not exactly clear.

First off, NIS requires considerable system resources. Adding NAV to the mix only worsens the load. Adding SystemWorks is not exactly healthy either unless you have the ram to spare. IMO, unless you have have at least 256mb and a speedy processor, do not even delude yourself into thinking that you can get away with this. And even at 256mb ram, you will notice slowdown- especially at start up.

Secondly, if you had any Norton versions installed prior to upgrading to XP and they were not uninstalled correctly, you will notice errors. Or even if you had a version installed (even correctly installed) and then upgraded to XP, your Norton program will not get along very well with XP.

I suggest two things at this point. Browse the "read me" files packed in the Norton install folders. I would wager that at least one of your answers are there. I have read it myself already and it explained alot about possible XP problems. Secondly- do not keep trying to install software that will not work. Obviously there is something belying underneath or corrupted within your system somewhere that is preventing its proper function. Forget screwing around with it and solve the problem correctly by reformatting your system and giving it a fresh install of the operating system. This ensures that nothing is compromised when and if you persue again trying to install your Norton programs. Again- install, register, and update one at a time. My preference is to install NIS first bundled with NAV. If all works as it should, then and only then proceed with SystemWorks.

Somebody1234
09-06-2003, 05:30 AM
Ok. I see that you need further help being convinced that you need to format and reinstall your Windows.

sharedholder had it right.
If you have all that stuff in your pc ,my advice is to formatt your disk and reinstall XP .I think Norton Internet Security is enough for your pc,you don&#39;t need NSW.

In see you have tried to &#39;sort of follow his advice&#39; by deleting registry entries. As you can see that didn&#39;t work. Just do as he said: Format/reinstall Windows and install Norton Internet Security 2003. You will then have to do the live update several times (about 5 or 6 rebooting each time) until it shows you a big green checkmark. That means you have all the updates installed.

If you need to use the tools that are in Norton System Works 2003 then just burn that CD and run the tools directly off the CD without installing them. Symantec has setup that CD to do that. It&#39;s very convenient to use it that way and it avoids conflicts.

ck-uk
09-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Teminator one thing u could also tri when u uninstall and reinstall norton is the windows temp folder.

I had a norton prob/conflictn before,after a few reinstalls and atemps to fix the prob...with no luck..it turned out norton uses and stores install files in the windows temp folder,which it&#39;ill use agiain if u dont delete them before u reinstall.So if u make any changes in windows between atemps tring to fix it, it wont make any difference...norton will use the temp logs it stored from your first atemp.

sharedholder
09-06-2003, 10:30 AM
HI COSMOK&#33;&#33;

Somebody1234&nbsp; Ok. I see that you need further help being convinced that you need to format and reinstall your Windows.

sharedholder had it right.
QUOTE&nbsp;
If you have all that stuff in your pc ,my advice is to formatt your disk and reinstall XP .I think Norton Internet Security is enough for your pc,you don&#39;t need NSW.&nbsp;

In see you have tried to &#39;sort of follow his advice&#39; by deleting registry entries. As you can see that didn&#39;t work. Just do as he said: Format/reinstall Windows and install Norton Internet Security 2003. You will then have to do the live update several times (about 5 or 6 rebooting each time) until it shows you a big green checkmark. That means you have all the updates installed.

If you need to use the tools that are in Norton System Works 2003 then just burn that CD and run the tools directly off the CD without installing them. Symantec has setup that CD to do that. It&#39;s very convenient to use it that way and it avoids conflicts.

If you have messed-up your registry ,you are lost,formatt your disk like i said before and Somebody1234 said too and make a clean renistall of XP.

ck-uk
09-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Hi mate. :D :D