PDA

View Full Version : What Could Cause Your Hd To Fail?

gbfan
09-05-2003, 09:39 PM
Hey all I'm back finally :D phew I was lost for a couple of weeks. Anyway my question is what would cause my hd to just take a crap one day? It was only three or four months old when it happened and I was wondering if there was something maybe I did to cause this or if it can just happen sometimes? I think I had the blaster cuz when I started up after a freeze it would get to the hp screen and then restart so I shut it down using the power button on the tower. Maybe this caused it? Please any suggestions I was down for two weeks cuz of this crap. :angry: ne way thx 4 ne and all help guys. ;)

Somebody1234
09-06-2003, 01:31 AM
Well if it was caused by software like a virus then it must physically still be good. Use one of those programs that wipe the whole drive clean and then you can reinstall your OS.

If it has gone bad form hardware failure... It can be caused by quite a few things. Physical impact like bumping or dropping it, a power voltage surge or even some faulty part or improperly assembled at the factory. Hard drives are precise mechincal machines with very fast moving parts. If it fails within the warranty period then be sure to check the mfg. web site to learn how to obtain a factory RMA.

The question is not if hard drives will fail but when. All mechanical machine fail sooner or later. Always keep backups of anything you really want to keep.

adamp2p
09-06-2003, 01:54 AM
I thought my hard drive failed, but it was actually a conflict between the ATI Raden 9500 and Windows XP...

gbfan
09-06-2003, 07:38 AM
Well I know the hd failed cuz I already sent it in and had it fixed thats why I finally made it back. But what I was asking was maybe when I shut it down it did something to it or if it was just because it was a crappy hd. BTW IT WAS A MAXTOR BUYER BEWARE MINE DIED AFTER ONLY A FEW MONTHS. Thx ne way guys. :D