PDA

View Full Version : Best Comp Manufacutrer?

n18
09-05-2003, 10:01 PM
any good companies make quality comps with alot of option or a very sweet gaming comupter? Too lazy to put together my comp, and it would be easier...

so far alienware has alot of options and great hardware but i tihkn they are a lil overpriced because of thier cases and such :/

abu_has_the_power
09-05-2003, 10:09 PM
really good one is ABS. www.abs.com

but they r expensive

try www.ibuypower.com

sweet price and pretty good systems. try the student special a if ur low on money.

Cygnuz-Y
09-05-2003, 10:46 PM
www.alienware.com

REALLY REALLY expensive, REALLY REALLY Good Pc......

adamp2p
09-05-2003, 11:02 PM
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/products/ser...en_desktops.htm (http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/products/series_dimen_desktops.htm)

look through those. You can get a very powerful computer for super cheap. Most of those systems are brand new and were cancellations. No monitors. Look for systems with the least amount of preinstalled ram and software (even go for a weak video card because cheaper after market)

Here is an example (not the best, becuause I don't have all day to look through) this has dvd-rw. I personally recommend the Dimension 8300 series, as it comes with the Intel i875 chipset dual channel ddr 400, an 800 MHz front side bus, etc, etc...but if you plan on using a powerful video card, buy one with one already installed otherwise you will have to upgrade to a PC power and cooling PSU (you can't use "any" power suppuy with Dells.

http://www.coupons-coupon-codes.com/coupon...php?coupon=4791 (http://www.coupons-coupon-codes.com/coupons.php?coupon=4791)

That is a code for a $50 discount.

Look at

http://dell.coupons-coupon-codes.com/
for more coupons...

Is this your budget?

Dell gives you a Windows XP single disk that is excellent(and is only one disk)
Also the computer comes with a bunch of crappy software. The hardware works great but reinstall Windows clean according to the lower provided link:

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/installXP1.htm
Dimension 4600 (System Identifier E6V2EEHF)
Dell Dimension 4600 Micro-Tower: Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.4GHz with 533MHz front side bus
System Price $794.00
Promotion Discount ($150.00)
Discounted Price $644.00

Memory: 256 MB DDR 333MHz NON-ECC SDRAM (2 DIMMs)
Floppy Drive: 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Hard Disk Drive: 60 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Video: 64MB GeForce4 MX 420 with TV-Out
Modem: 56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows XP Home
CD ROM Drive: 48X Max Variable CD-ROM Drive
DVD Drive: DVD+RW/+R with CD-RW
Dell Support 2.0
Logitech PS2 Mouse
QuietKey Keyboard

Take a look at the different series and configs, they are really really cheap and come with a year of support and if you aren't satisfied, you can return it easily, Dell, in my experience is really good about returns. If you live in a country outside the US make sure to go to Dells home page and log in according to your country.

Good luck! If you need help modding your Dell, I can help you out--you can learn from my experience. I have mastered the art of modding dell's propritary systems...after MUCH experimentation and hassle... :unsure:

abu_has_the_power
09-05-2003, 11:27 PM
dude, that sucks. only dell name. dell is ok, but u can't upgrade in the future. ibuypower is much better, but they tend to take a long time to build ur computer if u don't order rush.

adamp2p
09-05-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@6 September 2003 - 00:27
dude, that sucks. only dell name. dell is ok, but u can't upgrade in the future. ibuypower is much better, but they tend to take a long time to build ur computer if u don't order rush.
Upgrade what? With Prescott coming out, you will have to upgrade 99% of your system anyways NO MATTER WHAT YOU BUY...and how would you know, weren't you the poor kid asking for donations? lol, huh? How many computers have you ordered since your 13th birthday?

Obiviously better choices are available for more powerful machines, but sorry bud, Dell is the cheapest and highest rated proprietary manufacturer there is...and has been for several years...personally I would rather be able to overclock my system and set memory timings, but an Asus P4C800-E costs too much right now and probably won't be Prescott compatible...

http://www.nbc10.com/consumeralert/2337279/detail.html

and the person who started the topic mentioned that they don't want to hassle with building a new machine altogether....

MUSLEMAN
09-06-2003, 12:40 AM
don't want to build yours go with dell, i have heard good things about alienware also

asmithz
09-06-2003, 12:42 AM
You want to know what the best is. It you and me, why, becuase you'll always know whats going into it and if its good. I am not trusting companys to my shit together again.

MUSLEMAN
09-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Shad0w Hacker@5 September 2003 - 20:42
You want to know what the best is. It you and me, why, becuase you'll always know whats going into it and if its good. I am not trusting companys to my shit together again.
ya me and you have already talked about that :lol: :lol:

ultimatejester
09-06-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Cygnuz-Y@5 September 2003 - 22:46
www.alienware.com

if u want a gaming system, go with alienware.

asmithz
09-06-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ultimatejester+5 September 2003 - 17:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ultimatejester @ 5 September 2003 - 17:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cygnuz-Y@5 September 2003 - 22:46
www.alienware.com

if u want a gaming system, go with alienware. [/b][/quote]
Yeah but coastly.

ya me and you have already talked about that

Yeah i try to make that point lol. :D

adamp2p
09-06-2003, 12:59 AM
What is the budget? That way we can actually cross compare configurations.

asmithz
09-06-2003, 01:03 AM
When i went to go buy and alien ware from online it was &#036;4,678 f corse i dont have that kinda of money to spend. When i was cheacking prices for indavisual products so i can build a custom. It was &#036;2,000.

1gig DDR Ram , Inetel pentium prosecer 4 3.0ghz, 128 Radiaon 5200, 400gig dual hard drive, sound blaster, and more crap that was there.

n18
09-06-2003, 01:28 AM
Thanks Alot Guys, especcially adam...

I don&#39;t have a budget because my dad buying :P I just wanted the best for his money hehe.

BTW when you mentioned Dell, the founder of the company is worth 17billion&#036;&#036;..lucky guy hehe. and only 38 years old too ,

Thanks again, reviweing the sites and comps with my dad right now ^_^

Also i know how to install things such as a video card and a operating system still a noob but i know some things...Reason why i&#39;m skeptical about building my own pc: room for error, when i read tom&#39;s tutorial there was some things i could mess you, like things that won&#39;t work together and bios settings and with my luck theres always a chance hehe >.<

adamp2p
09-06-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by n18@6 September 2003 - 02:28

I don&#39;t have a budget because my dad buying :P I just wanted the best for his money hehe.

BTW when you mentioned Dell, the founder of the company is worth 17billion&#036;&#036;..lucky guy hehe. and only 38 years old too ,

Also i know how to install things such as a video card and a operating system still a noob but i know some things...Reason why i&#39;m skeptical about building my own pc: room for error, when i read tom&#39;s tutorial there was some things i could mess you, like things that won&#39;t work together and bios settings and with my luck theres always a chance hehe >.<
You DONT have a budget? Everyone has a budget.

This will be fun. Tell us what you want to spend, and those of us participating in this thread can please ourselves trying to find you the most bang for your buck.

ooo
09-06-2003, 01:52 AM
alienware a little overpriced?&#33;?&#33;?&#33;

u mean alot overpriced lol&#33;

adamp2p
09-06-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by n18@6 September 2003 - 02:28

If you have NO budget than I would pay some local computer shop to build a Pentium based system based on Asus&#39;s Asus P4C800-E. That way you could overclock very nicely.

If you have less than &#036;1500 though, that might be difficult to get everything (else) you need to make that machine primo...if your budget is less than &#036;1500 US, then I would recommend Dell.

n18
09-06-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p+6 September 2003 - 02:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 6 September 2003 - 02:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-n18@6 September 2003 - 02:28

This will be fun. Tell us what you want to spend, and those of us participating in this thread can please ourselves trying to find you the most bang for your buck. [/b][/quote]
Well I really want some quality hardware that has a decent price so no more than 3,000&#036;

Best option my dad and I figured was ordering our own parts, but were still not sure if we can handle ourselves. :unsure:

My Friend also got Alienware and damn the case is huge lol, not that good looking anyhow if you ask little ole&#39; me hehe :rolleyes:

bigdawgfoxx
09-06-2003, 02:02 AM
Hey...dell is awsome man...straight up lol...alienware have went down on prices a LOT and there really not expensive..when compared to voodoo :o lol...but newayz i have a dell and they are very very nice...have fun bud

adamp2p
09-06-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by n18+6 September 2003 - 03:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (n18 @ 6 September 2003 - 03:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by adamp2p@6 September 2003 - 02:51
<!--QuoteBegin-n18@6 September 2003 - 02:28

This will be fun. Tell us what you want to spend, and those of us participating in this thread can please ourselves trying to find you the most bang for your buck.
Well I really want some quality hardware that has a decent price so no more than 3,000&#036;

Best option my dad and I figured was ordering our own parts, but were still not sure if we can handle ourselves. :unsure:

My Friend also got Alienware and damn the case is huge lol, not that good looking anyhow if you ask little ole&#39; me hehe :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
this is the baby you want&#33; (http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.HTM#)

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/motherboards/asus/p4c800e/p4c800e.jpg

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/motherboards/asus/p4c800e/asusnb.jpg

n18
09-06-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@6 September 2003 - 03:02
Hey...dell is awsome man...straight up lol...alienware have went down on prices a LOT and there really not expensive..when compared to voodoo :o lol...but newayz i have a dell and they are very very nice...have fun bud
i went to dell, tried customizing a comp and they force alot of crap on people.

n18
09-06-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by adamp2p+6 September 2003 - 03:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 6 September 2003 - 03:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by n18@6 September 2003 - 03:01

Originally posted by adamp2p@6 September 2003 - 02:51
<!--QuoteBegin-n18@6 September 2003 - 02:28

My Friend also got Alienware and damn the case is huge lol, not that good looking anyhow if you ask little ole&#39; me hehe :rolleyes:
this is the baby you want&#33; (http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.HTM#)

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/motherboards/asus/p4c800e/p4c800e.jpg

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/motherboards/asus/p4c800e/asusnb.jpg [/b][/quote]
The site dont work...

adamp2p
09-06-2003, 02:12 AM
If you have &#036;3000 to spend on a computer you should build it yourself.

The only reason I had to buy a Dell is becuase I cannot afford all the parts to build a superpowerful computer nor the time to assemble it...however, if I had three thousand dollars, I would build a crazy ass machine to be proud of.

adamp2p
09-06-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by n18+6 September 2003 - 03:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (n18 &#064; 6 September 2003 - 03:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@6 September 2003 - 03:02
i went to dell, tried customizing a comp and they force alot of crap on people. [/b][/quote]
Have you tried customizing the XPS?

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/mod...n_dimen_XPS.htm (http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/model_dimen_dimen_XPS.htm)

This is a gaming system, they dont sell refurbished and much more is optional as it is aimed at the gaming market...customize with the minimum ram (upgrade later) but get the Radeon 9800 pro becuase otherwise you will need to upgrade the PSU later...and do not buy any extra Dell support

n18
09-06-2003, 02:18 AM
Like i mentioned Dell still forces useless things such as monitors and speakers, things i don&#39;t really need. but now im whining, I&#39;ll read some more about buildling comps talk it over with my dad see the best option for us, just in time when my dsl service activated ( got modem ( 1 day after they shipped ) but no serivce, need the go-ahead from local provider >< )

adamp2p
09-06-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by n18@6 September 2003 - 03:18
Like i&nbsp; mentioned Dell still forces useless things such as monitors and speakers, things i don&#39;t really need. but now im whining, I&#39;ll read some more about buildling comps talk it over with my dad see the best option for us, just in time when my dsl service activated ( got modem ( 1 day after they shipped ) but no serivce, need the go-ahead from local provider >< )
No you do not have to get a monitor or speakers with XPS:

here is an example of an okay configuration BEFORE you coupon it:
&#036;2,753

Pentium® 4 Processor at 3GHz with 800MHz front side bus
1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
Dell ® Quietkey ® Keyboard
Video Ready w/o Monitor
128MB DDR ATI RADEON™ 9800 Pro Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI
240G RAID 0 (2 x 120GB SATA HDDs)
5 in Floppy Drive FD
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
Logitech® MX™ 500 Optical Mouse
Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet
16 Max DVD-ROM Drive
Sound Blaster Audigy 2™ sound card with DVD Audio
No Speaker Option
No Productivity Software
No Digital Imaging Software Requested
1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year At-Home Service
4x DVD+RW/+R Drive w/CD-RW

A little pricey if you asked me. But you wont have to configure anything. No speakers, no software, no monitor. If you don&#39;t understand the multitude of BIOS options for an Asus P4C800-E then you would be safer with a Dell as there are a plethora of configuration stuff See here but wait 20 seconds for the page to load (http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4C800-E%20Deluxe&langs=09#)

MUSLEMAN
09-06-2003, 03:15 AM
when you say forces you mean comes with right?? because you don&#39;t have to pay for speakers or monitor if you don&#39;t want to :unsure:

Pitbul
09-06-2003, 03:38 AM
whats this Prescott someone was talking about?

*EDIT* nevermind did some research and found out about it.