PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly Slow Upload Speeds?

JGB
10-21-2008, 01:11 AM
I've got a decent connection(5mbit down, 712 up)
yet my upload speed is consistently low(8k/sec)
right now I'm seeding a new torrent to 4 peers, and its still that low.
:cry:
Anybody have any suggestions?

Brood_Star
10-21-2008, 01:31 AM
i have a near similar connection

most of the time it's just a low amount of seeders. on private trackers this is especially true - a high upload rate for me is probably 30kb/s

just keep all torrents finished open (paused/stopped when needed) and leave seed a lot

JGB
10-21-2008, 01:31 AM
I'm seeding only that torrent as a test.
I'm a seeder.
There are 4 peers connected only to me at the moment.

Brood_Star
10-21-2008, 01:32 AM
isp being throttled?

if not i'd try playing around with settings a bit.

JGB
10-21-2008, 01:44 AM
I'm running Utorrent with Forced Encryption.

saimer
10-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Are you the only seeder? If not, peers always favor fast connected seeder(s). Should provide more details on client settings. I had similar connection at home, able to reach 70k up sometimes with more than 100 torrents open.

I'm running Utorrent with Forced Encryption.

Just read a post not long ago mentioned Forced Encryption hurts speed, not sure though.

JGB
10-21-2008, 02:02 AM
I've tried encryption with and without.
I'm the only seed.
its my only torrent.
my settings are just based on the utorrent presets for my connection.

Dahg
10-21-2008, 02:54 AM
Like Saimer said, the peers may connect to you but be transferring with faster connections...

also side note.. they also have to be connectable just like you.. which I dont think is the problem here as you have connected to them... which is the scenario where there are a lot of leechers and none connecting.

JGB
10-21-2008, 03:53 AM
That is odd, since there isn't any other seeds to connect to other then each other(they are transfering between each other around 40k/sec) so they are all identically far along in the torrent.

jaszypoo
10-21-2008, 04:04 AM
JGB, what ISP provider do you have? Forced Encryption may help but if you are throttled, there isn't any way of getting around it, unless via a Tomato-capable router under MLPPP.

JGB
10-21-2008, 05:16 AM
My download speeds are up to about 500k at times, its just upload that seems slow.

fotografic
10-21-2008, 06:54 AM
you should try being in UK many ppl find their isp throttle their connection at certain times of the day
i have 8mb download and 50k.s up......just now im downloading file which has 23 seeds and 56 peers...my speed,i hear you ask?.......2.4k.s down and 0.5k.s up......AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH!!!

BudgieSmuggler
10-21-2008, 01:34 PM
you should try being in UK many ppl find their isp throttle their connection at certain times of the day
i have 8mb download and 50k.s up......just now im downloading file which has 23 seeds and 56 peers...my speed,i hear you ask?.......2.4k.s down and 0.5k.s up......AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH!!!

what the fuuuuucccckkkkk?

:huh:

jaszypoo
10-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Most of the major ISPs (Bell and Rogers) here are throttling in Toronto, and most likely in Canada as well AFAIK.:shifty:

Hmm, try disabling DHT. Some people say it helps. Maybe I'm wrong though.

ostracizado
10-21-2008, 03:23 PM
What about the port in Utorrent ? witch one are you using ? do you have the green sign ?
http://magnanimo.com.sapo.pt/network.jpg
Most of the times problems like that are because of your router ...

JGB
10-21-2008, 03:42 PM
yep, I forwarded the port through my firewall, no complaints at all about my download speeds, with good seeds I get very fast dl speeds:)
so I'm assuming that I'm not being throttled, otherwise they'd probably have slowed my download as well.
It is only my upload that is so low.
I'm connectable(4/5) peers were connected to me at the time, I upload to them at speeds ranging from 0-1k/sec usually, and only to 1 peer at a time.

:(

saimer
10-21-2008, 04:59 PM
leechers in swamp will exchange data between themselves first, then one of them will connect to seeder to get the piece when none of them has it, sounds like what happened? I'd try with a popular torrent on a huge user base tracer i.e. TL, to test the up speed you can reach.