PDA

View Full Version : Double seeding doable?

saimer
10-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Donno if the same question was asked before but couldn't find through searching ... maybe you'll call it differently. Anyway ... the scenario is, if I get a file from somewhere, and happenly the same torrent is found in 2 private trackers. Is it doable to seed same file to 2 sites at the same time? Thanks.

Raban
10-21-2008, 02:29 AM
ya it is as long as they are tracked seperately by your torrent client ...

Dahg
10-21-2008, 02:44 AM
same question (basicly)... to do this I have been copying all the files/folder to another spot on my HD. then redownload the torrent from the second site to the newly copied location... it checks the integrity and then starts the upload....

now

can I just take the announce url with my passkey in it and add it to the torrent #1 tracker urls (thru advanced settings) so I dont have to take up 2x as much space on my HD? will there be any problems with either of the trackers as long as the files are the same?

ryan20021982
10-21-2008, 02:53 AM
You dont have to copy the content to another folder just point it to the same folder
when you start the torrent

Funkin'
10-21-2008, 02:54 AM
EDIT: ryan beat me to it.

Dahg
10-21-2008, 02:56 AM
cool now I will now recover all those gigz.. thanks for the assist Ryan and Funkin!

saimer
10-21-2008, 03:05 AM
My concern was that some trackers may have restriction rules on this ... but seems it's allowed from your guys answer. Another way to boost ratio while saving hdd space. Thanks a lot! :)

Raban
10-21-2008, 04:02 AM
can I just take the announce url with my passkey in it and add it to the torrent #1 tracker urls (thru advanced settings)

do NOT do this !!! this is why i specifically said "tracked seperately" ...

if you add the tracker to another torrent that is already running you are likely to get banned for cheating ... cause the client will be reporting bad stats to the tracker...

they must be tracked seperately ! as two different entries in your software

Dahg
10-21-2008, 04:57 AM
yah. I didnt think about the tracker stats. I noticed I couldnt control the bandwidth seperately so I did it the way you suggested with the help of Ryan and Funkins suggestion too..

Thanks for clarifying that Raban!!

:)

RedRansom
10-21-2008, 07:57 AM
can I just take the announce url with my passkey in it and add it to the torrent #1 tracker urls (thru advanced settings)

do NOT do this !!! this is why i specifically said "tracked seperately" ...

if you add the tracker to another torrent that is already running you are likely to get banned for cheating ... cause the client will be reporting bad stats to the tracker...

they must be tracked seperately ! as two different entries in your software
+1 you need to different hash chech for every tracker and every file
dont put 2 tracker or over in one torrent file just add the other torrent(which you will "re-seed") at your client and it will hash chech and when it complete 2 diffferent torrent file but same file will seeding ...

torax34
10-21-2008, 12:27 PM
i sometime get "torrent already present, do you want to load trackers from it" and dont have option to load it as separate torrent. any way to force separate torrents in utorrent?

ryan20021982
10-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Change the name of the torrent and then choose the same location
to save as the one you already have finished, just add something on the
end of the torrent file name and it will be fine.

redMonster
10-21-2008, 12:57 PM
@torax34, AFAIK that can only happen if you want to add torrent downloaded from the same tracker. You can seed the same file only on different trackers.

ryan20021982
10-21-2008, 01:13 PM
@torax34, AFAIK that can only happen if you want to add torrent downloaded from the same tracker. You can seed the same file only on different trackers.

Pretty sure that happens when the torrent file are named the exact same

redMonster
10-21-2008, 01:41 PM
No, definitely not. I seed the same files on upto 5 trackers many times and I don't receive any error.

ryan20021982
10-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Well I get an error so for me its definitely yes, same torrent with the same name on different trackers

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd352/ryan20021982/error.jpg

redMonster
10-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Which version of utorrent are you using?

ryan20021982
10-21-2008, 05:45 PM

Its not a problem I just add something to the end of the torrent file name and its fine

torax34
10-21-2008, 06:54 PM

know that, trying to seed on different trackers

Pretty sure that happens when the torrent file are named the exact same

tried changing file name, no luck

No, definitely not. I seed the same files on upto 5 trackers many times and I don't receive any error.

it was working for me till now, but this time it seem that torrents on different trackers have same hash so utorrent can't track them seperately

ryan20021982
10-21-2008, 07:31 PM
tried changing file name, no luck

You changed the torrent file name???

Not the file that your downloading but the torrent file before you open it

AMnesko
10-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Donno if the same question was asked before but couldn't find through searching ... maybe you'll call it differently. Anyway ... the scenario is, if I get a file from somewhere, and happenly the same torrent is found in 2 private trackers. Is it doable to seed same file to 2 sites at the same time? Thanks.
You can use the file from your PC to seed on two or more trackers, but each torrent has to be loaded separately with your passkey on the chosen trackers. So you would basically have the same torrent more than once appear on your client, taken from each tracker separately.