PDA

View Full Version : changing MOBO without losing O/S

BawA
10-24-2008, 07:10 AM
is it possible?
with some kind of backup software to restore on different hardware.

maverick_andy
10-24-2008, 09:11 AM
is it possible?
with some kind of backup software to restore on different hardware.
nope. you can't do it.

Bobbius5000
10-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Hang on, what?

Of course you can change your motherboard without losing your OS.

Unless you have that gay-ass copy of Vista that cries if you change any hardware...

BawA
10-24-2008, 09:55 AM
and which copy is that?

Bobbius5000
10-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I think the Home versions of Vista require you to re-register your copy of Vista if you make a major hardware change. If you have the ultimate version you'll be fine. (I'm running ultimate and while I have been doing so I have changed my motherboard, Graphics, CPU, added new hard disks, increased RAM size...)

If you have a legit copy of it though you can always just ring up Microsoft and explain you've had a hardware change, and they'll give you a new product key.

clocker
10-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Does the new board have a similar chipset, network, etc. as the old one or is it a totally different animal?

BawA
10-24-2008, 01:42 PM
i have a Asus P5B, i will most probably take a dulex version of it if its a bigger mobo so i can fit an EVGA GeForce GTX 280 or similar .

Bobbius5000
10-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Take a look at this article:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061030-8104.html

Looks like you have to just call up microsoft to get them to re-activate your OS after a major hardware change. It will still boot into windows and all will still be dandy, but you'll have 30 days to re-activate it.

When you click "activate" say Activte by Teleophone, and speak to them.

This is assuming of course that your OS is a legit copy. If not, then surely you wont have a problem making the activation notice go away...

Detale
10-25-2008, 05:27 AM
As I read the replies here I see your question could be viewed 2 different ways. What exactly do you mean by "lose" the OS? Do you mean your configurations of the OS or do you mean you don't have a disk and are afraid of it not having an OS to install when you switch MoBo's?

BawA
10-25-2008, 12:43 PM
config...
am using one of those early vista cracks.

lynx
10-25-2008, 01:05 PM
If you think about it logically, it is easy.

In most cases you need to install the motherboard drivers after you've installed windows. That being the case it obviously means that the system will run without them, even if some devices don't work.

This means that you should be able to uninstall the motherboard drivers and get back to that initial state. Once you've done that, simply replace the motherboard, install the drivers for the new motherboard and you are good to go.

Just remember to make sure that the drivers for the new motherboard are on a device that will still work once you've uninstalled the old motherboard drivers.

BawA
10-26-2008, 03:25 AM
then whats all the fear about when i ask a retailer to replace my MOBO without losing the OS.

ok found out that i have sufficent slot/space on my MOBO for GTX280, so wont be needing to change it.
now i have an 500W PS, ist enough, i have following installed:
intel core duo 2.66
1 DVD burner
1 CD burner(can discard it)
3 Gb ddr2
1 network card
1 External Dvd burner(dont think it needs supply from PU)
1 Dongle
1 Mouse signal receiver
and a printer, again i dont think it take any power from power unit.

clocker
10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Depends entirely on the PSU.
If it's a quality unit, 500w would be just shy of nVidia's 550w minimum recommendation for that card but probably OK.

BawA
10-26-2008, 03:00 PM
well then, just to be on safe side ill add up one 800W.
clocker do you have any thought on Epsilon PSU (http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5239)? retailer which am thinking to buy my stuff from says he can install that model, but i never heard of it, right now what i have is an FORCE PSU and am satisfied.

clocker
10-26-2008, 03:20 PM
FSP- makers of the Epsilon- also provided the Sparkle brand PSUs that we used as our base units when I worked at a shop, and they were fine.

The power supply is the one part I have always overspent on because it's the one component that can (potentially) fuck up everything else.
Typical failure doesn't usually kill the whole machine but it could.

Since leaving the biz, I have no direct or anecdotal experience with the Epsilon brand so you're on your own.
Presumably your retailer has your best interests- along with his bottom line- in mind, so it's probably OK.

BawA
10-26-2008, 03:23 PM
acctually retailers try to sell you what they have in stock 1st then try to find buyers choice/interest.

clocker
10-26-2008, 04:03 PM
I didn't.

BawA
10-26-2008, 04:10 PM
there is a different between professional technician and a sellers, technician will always think of possibilities but sellers only think about profit. here unfortunately technicians are always kept in workshops and some people who know nothing about technical parts of hardware except if one part will fit on another run the shop.

clocker
10-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Actually, I think the difference would be between a big box store- where your assertion about "what's in stock" is most likely true- and a small, independent shop (like where I worked).
We had no insulation between us as technicians and an unhappy customer, so getting it right was not just an admirable policy, it was self-preservation.
I also had- and exercised- the ability not to cave in to unreasonable customer demands/expectations. Chain retailers feed the public's delusions about product and succeed because of volume. The stupider/less-informed the customer, the better off they are.
We didn't have that luxury.

BawA
10-26-2008, 04:46 PM
its funny but here its quite opposite, a big chain shop unlike a small shop has assistance not a direct sellers, they are not responsible for branch profit so they most probably will guide you to their best, but in a small independent shop of 1 sales man and 2 technician staff shop one guy would be responsible of selling whom must achieve something or his job is on the line, god forbid if the owner is acctually running the front office, it would be running into mine field . but this guy which i goto is pretty good guy, it happens few times that he doesn't have what i need but calls like 15 different contacts till he finds it for me, where other shop which i used to go for about 5 years never did this.