09-07-2003, 01:52 AM
_ _

3rd gen noob
09-07-2003, 02:06 AM
xp
it works relatively well with no tinkering required

4play
09-07-2003, 02:23 AM
linux mainly due to it is teaching me alot about computers.

and all that free software is not bad either.

javakel
09-07-2003, 02:36 AM
XP...but that's out of default really. I have NO CLUE how to use Linux and have only used Windows. In fact, I don't think I've ever even been introduced to Linux. It's like Bigfoot or something- some swear it's out there, but I'll have to take their word for it 'cause I've never actually seen the stupid thing myself. :lol:

Plus, if things went awry (which would inevitably occur because I always end up screwing stuff up) and I started to have issues with Linux, I'm afraid there wouldn't be a wealth of resources (ie: other people who are knowledgable with it) for me, since I've only really encountered others who use XP and its cohorts.

balamm
09-07-2003, 02:54 AM
I find most linux OS's both excellent and at the same time, frustratingly ignorant in the complexity of the language and terminology used. If I could find a common english translation for some of it, I'd use it often.
I think the problem stems from the fact that a large part of it has been developed in non english speaking parts of europe and no thought was given to international equivalents. Despite having a fairly good ability to read some foreign languages, I'm a simple country boy, I don't have the time or patience to learn language idiosynchrosy whle trying to operate a program.
Maybe with the addition of some multiple choice wizzards, this might be corrected. As it stands, I always run into a total lack of clear explanation when it's most needed, like at virtual brick wall for example ;)

toddiscool
09-07-2003, 03:22 AM
I have Linux installed, but just do not have the time to tinker and even begin to learn what it all is. I do look forward to having the time, and need to actuall boot up into it but for now there is just no point. So mark me down for XP.

clocker
09-07-2003, 04:15 AM
XP.*

* By default. I only got my first computer this past Christmas and it had XP Home on it. XP is the only OS I have any experience with at all. At a Christmas party I met the son of a friend who is a programmer at Scandia National Laboratory and tried to talk to him. His opening comment was " If you use Windows you're an idiot. Only Linux users know anything about computers."

It was a short conversation.

I've run into a similar attitude from various other "powerusers" who mock XP ( or even 2000) as being for the computer illiterate/newbie.

So far XP has worked just fine for my limited ambitions and I really don't want to get elbow deep in the bloody guts of my OS just to browse the web or fool around.

You don't have to be able to rebuild your car engine just to drive to work everyday do you?

Lightning
09-07-2003, 06:26 AM
XP for general computers, Linux for servers.

DWk
09-07-2003, 06:31 AM
i would have to agree....but first of all you shouldnt make a poll about two COMPLETELY different OS's..... maybe you could compare XP to win2k....even 98 if u wanna go wild...but its like saying which apple is better when you are trying bananas and oranges....(dum!)

DWk

nikita69
09-07-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by toddiscool@7 September 2003 - 03:22
I have Linux installed, but just do not have the time to tinker and even begin to learn what it all is. I do look forward to having the time, and need to actuall boot up into it but for now there is just no point. So mark me down for XP.
same here, it's been 6 months since i got two PCs, one with linux and another apple something 4 (i guess the latest). XP for now.

What's the best linux OS?

DWk
09-07-2003, 06:37 AM
well i suppose the most known are Mandrake and RedHat....but there's a LOT more that are used.... for example Debian, Gentoo, Lindows....and a bunch more...

check www.linuxiso.org if u want em :D

DWk

Mr. Blunt
09-07-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by DWk@7 September 2003 - 06:31
i would have to agree....but first of all you shouldnt make a poll about two COMPLETELY different OS's..... maybe you could compare XP to win2k....even 98 if u wanna go wild...but its like saying which apple is better when you are trying bananas and oranges....(dum!)

DWk
:huh: I guess. I thought leonidas was just asking a simple question. I see no reason why someone can't ask which OS you like, even though they are completely different OSes :blink:

WindowsXP for me. Just because Windows was the first OS that I thouched with I first got a computer back in '98.

DWk
09-07-2003, 06:43 AM
oh hehe....i see i forgot to put my pick :D

i prefer WinXP....but i do agree that winxp is for common user and lin00x for servers :D

DWk

ps: is it true MS has their servers with linux?

balamm
09-07-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by DWk@7 September 2003 - 07:43

ps: is it true MS has their servers with linux?
No. Maybe one or two for special purposes but for the most part, it's win2k or server 2003 64 bit.

DWk
09-07-2003, 06:50 AM
ah balamm the allmighty moderator :D

thx for the info

DWk

gregpoogamus1
09-07-2003, 08:06 AM
Linux, more things.

Gooch2k
09-07-2003, 08:58 AM
XP for me. Just because the Linux the Penguin scared me!

http://www.laisen.dk/uploads/pics/linux.tux_02.gif

DWk
09-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by gregpoogamus1@7 September 2003 - 08:06
Linux, more things.
more things? oh cmon be a lil more specific here....

and if those things you mention are the same things i think....i would have to say XP has much more....just that they arent all shown in the START menu..like linux has.

DWk

leonidas
09-07-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by balamm@7 September 2003 - 04:54
I find most linux OS's both excellent and at the same time, frustratingly ignorant in the complexity of the language and terminology used. If I could find a common english translation for some of it, I'd use it often.
I think the problem stems from the fact that a large part of it has been developed in non english speaking parts of europe and no thought was given to international equivalents. Despite having a fairly good ability to read some foreign languages, I'm a simple country boy, I don't have the time or patience to learn language idiosynchrosy whle trying to operate a program.
Maybe with the addition of some multiple choice wizzards, this might be corrected. As it stands, I always run into a total lack of clear explanation when it's most needed, like at virtual brick wall for example ;)
Wich languages are used in linux?