PDA

View Full Version : Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross call to Manuel

Skweeky
10-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think this has been blown completely out of proportion? :unsure:

I mean, Fawlty Towers back in its day was pretty controversial anyway and I'm sure they stepped on a few toes.

This is just silly :snooty:

Barbarossa
10-28-2008, 01:18 PM
I hope they both get the sack actually. Stupid cunts.

Skweeky
10-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Stop trying to deprave the world of Russell Brand :angry:

Barbarossa
10-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Too late!

http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/55979/1225196555/Granddaughter.jpg

Skweeky
10-28-2008, 01:26 PM
I'd be happy about that :snooty:

Barbarossa
10-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Is your entire argument for this being all blown out of proportion basically the fact that you fancy him :blink:

LubTheStaringCat
10-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Russell Brand's an arswip who looks that he needs a good wash., and never be funny.
As for Jonathan Woss he thinks he funny, but I never found him so.
It Said on BBCNews24 that Woss got £18 million pounds a year, what a wast of money could be better spent
I think both are arswips and should be sacked.

Squeamous
10-28-2008, 02:11 PM
I think basically people have been waiting for the chance to oust the obnoxious little gobshite for some time. He was always going to shit his hole full, it's because he's an attention seeking knob. He is strangely arousing though :unsure:.

Skweeky
10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, I do fancy him but that's not the point.

It was just a phone call. I mean, people are losing their homes all over the country, teenagers are getting stabbed to death and the purity of cocaine is down to 5% and the BBC and Ofcom are moaning about a fucking telephone prank.
It's just stupid. 's What I think :snooty:

Barbarossa
10-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Malicious or abusive phone calls are actually a criminal offence under section 43 of the Telecommunications Act, 1984.

chalice
10-28-2008, 04:16 PM
It was actually 3 or 4 phone calls. They phoned up to interview Andrew Sachs about his appearance on The Bill. When they got his answering machine, they started interviewing that. Ross chimed in that Brand had fucked Manuel's grand daughter (which was true, apparently).

They knew immediately that this was a no-go so they phoned back to apologise but started acting like fucking twats instead. This happened pretty much throughout the radio show.

They're calling for them to be sacked in The House Of Commons at the minute.

In other news, ex-gold digger Angie Best was on N. Ireland tv last night. She was railing against fat people and happened to mention that there was 'no fat people in Auschwitz'. :blink: You can imagine how that's going down at the minute. Stupid fucking bitch.

Something Else
10-28-2008, 04:39 PM
'no fat people in Auschwitz'

:pinch:

Skweeky
10-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Damn right. Kill all fat people. There will be less demand in food products so prices should go down. It makes sense. Go Angie Best. :lol:

Squeamous
10-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Malicious or abusive phone calls are actually a criminal offence under section 43 of the Telecommunications Act, 1984.

Gayest post ever.

Barbarossa
10-28-2008, 05:30 PM

Gayest post ever.

Hardly :snooty:

Snee
10-28-2008, 06:05 PM
the purity of cocaine is down to 5%

I blame dan :dry:

Skweeky
10-28-2008, 06:42 PM
This is now absolutely fucking ridiculous; Gordon Brown is getting involved. Does the old cunt not having anything else to do with his valuable time that comment on this? :angry:

Squeamous
10-29-2008, 08:48 AM
I was just watching BBC breakfast and the bleating unknown politician on there was demanding to know where the head of the BBC was, and he really wanted to know because he said his name about a dozen times. Can't remember it though :pinch:

Skweeky
10-29-2008, 12:20 PM
This is beyond a joke. Politician's idea of a smoke screen?

Skweeky
10-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Suspended??? I can't believe they suspended them!
And now that Georgina Baillie has jumped on the band wagon was well. Probably thinks it'll get her some media attention, her being an aspiring model.

Squeamous
10-29-2008, 01:40 PM
I thought she was an uninspiring lap dancer :unsure:.

Skweeky
10-29-2008, 01:44 PM
That's just what she looks like.

Squeamous
10-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Well she won't make it as a model. Not unless she wants to model nipple tassels :snooty:

Skweeky
10-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Now what am I going to watch on Friday nights? :cry:

Squeamous
10-29-2008, 03:19 PM
You'll have a baby to keep you busy soon!

Skweeky
10-29-2008, 04:13 PM
But what am I going to watch on Virgin on Demand when the baby is asleep??

Skweeky
10-29-2008, 06:24 PM
That's it; Russell has resigned from BBC2 :(

chalice
10-29-2008, 06:32 PM
That's it; Russell has resigned from BBC2 :(

Which says one of two things.

Either he knows he was bang out of order and feels ultra shite.

Or

He can't take the flak he's been getting.

Either way, he's a fucking twat. Though, I think Jonathan Ross is more to blame seeing as he's the one who said the offending phrase in the first place.

If Ross is sacked (which is hardly likely, like) then so should all of the production team who allowed the shite to be aired. If we're going by that logic, then so should the head of the BBC.

Skweeky
10-29-2008, 07:06 PM
It's preposterous.

It's no different from Moyles constantly taking the piss out of Nicola from Girls aloud or Frankie Boyle making fun of Kerry Katone every single Mock The Week episode.

chalice
10-29-2008, 07:10 PM
It's preposterous.

It's no different from Moyles constantly taking the piss out of Nicola from Girls aloud or Frankie Boyle making fun of Kerry Katone every single Mock The Week episode.

Moyles doesn't phone up Nicola's mum and say that her daughter is a munter.

And Kerry Katona made her own stupid, alcoholic bed, so she can lie in it as long as she likes.

Nobody is saying Kerry's kids are mongs. There's a stark difference.

Skweeky
10-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Moyles constantly takes the piss out of her saying how ugly and annoying she is because she's thin and ginger. That's bullying.

As for Kerry Katona... she may be an idiot but taking the piss out of someone with so obvious a problem isn't exactly the right thing to do either.

The thing everyone is tripping about is the fact that they seem to have gone against broadcasting standards. The above, applied under the same rules, would be against broadcasting standards as well.

It was a joke ffs.

chalice
10-29-2008, 07:47 PM
I accept it was joke and some of it was funny to a point. I'm not denying that.

It was in very poor taste, though. And badly thought through.

You can call me anything you like, under the pretext of comedy and I'll take that in good spirit.

The line is crossed, however, when you publically and privately (i.e. leave a message on an unsolicited answering machine) announce to a grandfather that you've fucked his grand daughter. If he hadn't fucked said grand daughter, then I think the damage would have been limited. But the fact is he actually did. Slut or not, I can imagine, for a grandfather to hear that (broadcast) would piss you off to the max.

Biggles
10-29-2008, 08:06 PM
I can see why Voluptua from Satanic Sluts is annoyed - I doubt she wanted her Granddad to be appraised of her activities.

A more balanced take on the matter by a gentleman of the profession

http://www.jerrysadowitz.com/pages/bollocksmain.htm

chalice
10-29-2008, 08:08 PM
I can see why Voluptua from Satanic Sluts is annoyed - I doubt she wanted her Granddad to be appraised of her activities.

A more balanced take on the matter by a gentleman of the profession

http://www.jerrysadowitz.com/pages/bollocksmain.htm

:lol:

Now that's funny.

Skweeky
10-29-2008, 08:35 PM

All in all, I keep coming back to my first point; is this really the most important thing happening in the world right now? It's been blown out of proportion. I accept that some people may find it offensive but come on...

Biggles
10-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Obviously, fascist skinheads wanting to behead Obama is a tad more important - but lacking something in the humour department imho.

Squeamous
10-29-2008, 09:05 PM
I accept it was joke and some of it was funny to a point. I'm not denying that.

It was in very poor taste, though. And badly thought through.

You can call me anything you like, under the pretext of comedy and I'll take that in good spirit.

The line is crossed, however, when you publically and privately (i.e. leave a message on an unsolicited answering machine) announce to a grandfather that you've fucked his grand daughter. If he hadn't fucked said grand daughter, then I think the damage would have been limited. But the fact is he actually did. Slut or not, I can imagine, for a grandfather to hear that (broadcast) would piss you off to the max.

It certainly makes RB look at best unchivalrous and a sexist pig. I was going to let him have a go but he's ruined his chances now :snooty:.

Skweeky
10-29-2008, 09:11 PM
I don't care, he can still have a go at me :lol:

Squeamous
10-29-2008, 09:31 PM
He can't get near you! Why do you think he was looking at me? :rolleyes:

JPaul
10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Let me get this right. They phoned a 78 year old man to rip the pish out of him. When it went to an answering machine Ross announced that Brand had fucked his grand daughter. This is apparently true.

They then phoned another three times and just ripped the pish out of the old man again. This was pre-recorded however they went ahead and broadcast it on BBC radio. Which is paid for by the British public.

I have no sympathy for anyone who loses their job over this. None whatsoever. It's not the most important thing going on in the World just now. However that does not make it any less distasteful. It was cowardly bullying of an old man and his subsequent public humiliation.

It's of interest to the Government and parliament because it was done on the public broadcasting service. Funded by licence payers, i.e. me. Frankly I don't want people like that to get any more of my money. This includes the Producers and anyone else who had the power to stop those parts being broadcast, in addition to the two bullying pricks who did it.

JPaul
10-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Just thought, wasn't it Brand's own production company who was responsible for this.

chalice
10-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Let me get this right. They phoned a 78 year old man to rip the pish out of him. When it went to an answering machine Ross announced that Brand had fucked his grand daughter. This is apparently true.

They then phoned another three times and just ripped the pish out of the old man again. This was pre-recorded however they went ahead and broadcast it on BBC radio. Which is paid for by the British public.

I have no sympathy for anyone who loses their job over this. None whatsoever. It's not the most important thing going on in the World just now. However that does not make it any less distasteful. It was cowardly bullying of an old man and his subsequent public humiliation.

It's of interest to the Government and parliament because it was done on the public broadcasting service. Funded by licence payers, i.e. me. Frankly I don't want people like that to get any more of my money. This includes the Producers and anyone else who had the power to stop those parts being broadcast, in addition to the two bullying pricks who did it.

Yeah, wot he said.

Rather more succinctly than me.

Biggles
10-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Nice old chap Andrew Sachs too. When I lived in Bath many moons ago we took in EFL students and had a lovely Catalonian lass staying with us. She went to see a play in the theatre in Bath which featured Sachs. She met him afterwards and they conversed - she was completely charmed by him.

True story!

Never really been a fan of Brand or Woss btw.

chalice
10-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Just thought, wasn't it Brand's own production company who was responsible for this.

The BBC would have had the ultimate edit/green light.

Biggles
10-29-2008, 09:54 PM

and they pay the leccy bill

JPaul
10-29-2008, 10:03 PM

Good point. The very least they are guilty of is not monitoring the material to be broadcast thoroughly enough.

Biggles
10-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I posted the Sadowitz link on the Groaniard board but bar stewards modded me.

Outrage!

JPaul
10-29-2008, 10:08 PM

Outrage!

I take it they didn't like Chavis' work.

chalice
10-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Outrage!

Who does?

When they do, I'll stop.

Biggles
10-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Outrage!

It presumably broke some rule or other. I confess I never read their rules when I joined.

Censored by the Guardian - oh the irony!

Skweeky
10-29-2008, 10:11 PM

Good point. The very least they are guilty of is not monitoring the material to be broadcast thoroughly enough.

It went up to a senior member of staff for it to be approved. The BBC knew exactly what was being broadcast.

These two are getting paid so much just because they dare to be controversial, that's not a secret. As I see it, they were doing what their employers expected them to do do, and quite obviously agreed with.

Sachs today on the radio said that he doesn't want to take the matter any further and had received apologies from both of them. If that's enough for him, than why shouldn't it be for the rest of the public?

Biggles
10-29-2008, 10:18 PM
There is a moral crusade on the wing and people scent blood - Sachs is being a spoilsport with his gentlemanly ways.

JPaul
10-29-2008, 10:20 PM

It went up to a senior member of staff for it to be approved. The BBC knew exactly what was being broadcast.

These two are getting paid so much just because they dare to be controversial, that's not a secret. As I see it, they were doing what their employers expected them to do do, and quite obviously agreed with.

Sachs today on the radio said that he doesn't want to take the matter any further and had received apologies from both of them. If that's enough for him, than why shouldn't it be for the rest of the public?

It's not up to him whether there behaviour was acceptable or not. He is just being a dignified gentleman. The opposite of them which was two puerile bullies, picking on and humiliating an old man.

The point is, I paid them to do this and I'm disgusted by it. It's not like Brand on stage and you can choose to go or not go. They used my money to carry pick on a 78 year old. No, not for me I'm afraid.

JPaul
10-29-2008, 10:21 PM

It presumably broke some rule or other. I confess I never read their rules when I joined.

Censored by the Guardian - oh the irony!

Maybe the speeling was two good.

Squeamous
10-30-2008, 07:39 AM
[quote=Skweeky;3016752]
They used my money to carry pick on a 78 year old. No, not for me I'm afraid.

No-one wants to see anyone carry pick on anyone else, fact.

:unsure:

Barbarossa
10-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Fucking hell, "The Killers" were going to be on Jonathan Woss on friday, I would have enjoyed that :angry:

Jonathan Woss. Selfish arrogant cunt. :angry:

Barbarossa
10-30-2008, 10:21 AM
They should just let The Killers play for an hour on friday night, after the news.

That would be kind of awesome :)

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't like The Killers. Their new song is absolutely shite.
'Are we human or are we dancers?'
WTF???

chalice
10-30-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't like The Killers. Their new song is absolutely shite.
'Are we human or are we dancers?'
WTF???

It's 'are we human or are we denser'. But yes, it's fucking shite.

It sounds like Chris De Burgh taking a shite on Simple Minds only worse.

Barbarossa
10-30-2008, 12:30 PM
You're both wrong :snooty:

Also, I'm going to see Simple Minds live in November, so shurrup. :pinch:

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 12:44 PM

That's terrible Barbie. Seriously. Start listening to some decent music.

donk3y
10-30-2008, 04:28 PM
it was just a joke

JPaul
10-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Your face is just a joke.

chalice
10-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Ross has been suspended for 12 weeks without pay and the controller of Radio 2 has resigned.

True story.

JPaul
10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Good

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Has the parliament had a discussion over it yet? It's obviously really fucking important if it has to come to that :dry:

JPaul
10-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Has the parliament had a discussion over it yet? It's obviously really fucking important if it has to come to that :dry:

They did what they did on the BBC, funded by the licence payers. It's the British national broadcaster. As such it was appropriate for them to be involved.

Had it been another broadcaster I would agree with you but in this instance I don't. The point isn't how important it was, it was how it was funded and the 27,000 complaints made by the people who paid for it.

JPaul
10-30-2008, 07:48 PM
This is the important bit.

The BBC is constitutionally established by a Royal Charter. An accompanying Agreement recognises its editorial independence and sets out its public obligations in detail.

The current Royal Charter was granted to the BBC on 19 September 2006. It took full effect from 1 January 2007.

The text of the Royal Charter and Agreement are available on the BBC Trust site.

It's not just another company, Skweeky.

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 08:10 PM
I have to disagree.

1 . There's loads of stuff on the beeb that I'd rather not see my money spent on. It's a matter of taste and opinion.

2. I am more concerned about the fact that money was spent on paying politicians to give their opinions on this.

3. 27000 complaints were made only after the whole media circus that was made out of it. The original broadcast received two complaints.

4. 27000 out of a population on 60 million is not even 0.05 of a percent. Since when does the government give a hoot about that small a percentage?

It never should've been blown out of proportion like this. Worse things are said and done on telly on a daily basis.

JPaul
10-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Tell me what you've heard worse on BBC radio please.

Politicians discussed it because they operate under a Royal Charter. In effect they represent the Government. I think it being discussed was perfectly reasonable.

It doesn't matter when the complaints were made, the point is they were. The percentage argument is nonsense. You would have to compare the 27,000 to what level of complaints one normally gets. That's in the hundreds as I understand it.

They phoned a 78 year old man and left a message on his answering machine that one of them had fucked his granddaughter. Phoned him back three times with more pish. Then broadcast it to the nation. You hear worse things on the telly on a daily basis. On the BBC, I think not.

No sorry, Skweeky. I'm absolutely certain you don't hear worse things on the BBC on a daily basis.

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 08:44 PM
They phoned someone whose main claim to fame is a character that rips the pish out of the Spanish in a program that used Nazi Germany as a comical element.
That in itself I find more offensive that a prank call that got out of hand.

Last year there was the whole Preston incident on Nevermind the Buzzcocks. No matter how funny that was, I'm sure Preston himself didn't like the fact that his wife was being portrayed as a dumb blonde bimbo (even if she is). It never went this far because it only involved a minor celebrity.

Moyles makes inappropriate comments about people all the time. The Nicola thing to start with, and everyone else who doesn't agree with him at that point in time.
What is the difference in making fun of someone on national radio or making fun of someone you are related to? There is none in my opinion.

And yes, the man is 78 years old. Everyone keeps saying that as if it is a horrible disease and makes him somehow less of a human being.

I have nothing against any of the parties involved. I like Sachs and I think what he did in Fawlty Towers was funny, if not PC. I also like Brand's and Ross' humour.

My point is; I am not disputing that fact that Sachs had a right to be upset about or not.
I am addressing the fact that:
1. The complaints were media fuelled. The only reason they received this many is because it was broadcasted over and over again. There was no need for that if everyone agreed it was in bad taste.
2. It was a prank gone wrong and nothing but that. People are trying to make a huge ethical debate out of it, and it really isn't. The whole thing turned into a witch hunt.
3. The arguments about 'this was being paid for by license payers' is moot in my opinion. How many people like everything and everyone that is on the radio on tv?

But anyway, I am too tired now to discuss this any further (I am being kicked in the kidneys, you see), so on this occasion, I propose we agree to disagree.

JPaul
10-30-2008, 08:53 PM
I agree.

To disagree like.

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 09:41 PM

Damn!

JPaul
10-30-2008, 09:41 PM
:P :naughty:

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 09:45 PM
You missed me grooming you in the other thread btw. :snooty:

JPaul
10-30-2008, 09:53 PM
How could you be grooming me if I missed it.

That's mad talk.

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 09:54 PM
It was grooming directed at you, Kev and Les. Only you weren't there.

JPaul
10-30-2008, 10:02 PM

Fail to the epic then.

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, Kev admitted to owning a red and black check shirt. Which confirms all our suspicions as far as I am concerned :yes:

Biggles
10-30-2008, 10:52 PM

Fail to the epic then.

You would have got such a grooming if you had been there though. :yup:

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Les is still recovering, as you can see.

Biggles
10-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I will never be quite the same again :blink:

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Did you get those lycra pants off yet?

Biggles
10-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Did you get those lycra pants off yet?

:noes:

Which direction do you pull them?

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Down.
I heard they inflate if you fart in them :yes:

Biggles
10-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Down.
I heard they inflate if you fart in them :yes:

Nasty!

Skweeky
10-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Courtesy of Sarah Cox.

Alien5
10-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Ross was set up, papers say he's gonna take a 50% pay cut.

mission successful.

the comedian forgives them, but the public do not, it was comedy ffs.

NotLettingItGo
10-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Malicious or abusive phone calls are actually a criminal offence under section 43 of the Telecommunications Act, 1984.Fucking A, string em up!

Barbarossa
10-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Woss has pulled out of hosting the British Comedy Awards on ITV.

Skweeky
10-31-2008, 02:44 PM
*sigh*

At least we still get to watch Russell on Channell 4 :cry:

enoughfakefiles
10-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Malicious or abusive phone calls are actually a criminal offence under section 43 of the Telecommunications Act, 1984.Fucking A, string em up!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.hart/lyricsd/images/dolce.jpg

:O

Barbarossa
10-31-2008, 03:07 PM
*sigh*

At least we still get to watch Russell on Channell 4 :cry:

Russell Brand has pulled out of Pirates of the Caribbean IV. :blink:

Oh hang on, he's not Captain Jack Sparrow is he...

Barbarossa
10-31-2008, 03:48 PM
http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/55979/1225467124/BrandSparrow.jpg

enoughfakefiles
10-31-2008, 03:56 PM
http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/55979/1225467124/BrandSparrow.jpg

Doesn't look like he's in costume :eyebrows: