PDA

View Full Version : no seedbox, no ratio, general tracker running gazelle?

peronibirra
10-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I've been discussing a possible big project with a friend who might help me with the more technical side while I run the front end. I'd like your preliminary thoughts on some of the things we are thinking of doing. Everything is very early on though.

Basically we came up with these rules in order to make the perfect big tracker that could run on the light, quick Gazelle code.

No rar files. No pretimes. Nonscene and all users can upload.
No ratio. We'd calculate your total traffic and report that to everyone.
Anonymous mode for everyone, lots of security and privacy features. The goal is to create a big site where everyone can upload pretty much anything, but feel secure.
Open signups at first and being liberal with invites, with the goals of 10k in year 1 then 25k in year 2, etc.
No seedboxes allowed except for uploaders. (this one is our most revolutionary I think so it is definitely subject to negotiation)

Basically the goal would be to create a modern Demonoid that eventually gets massive. It would be easier and better to run on Gazelle, keeping the tracker fairly private and growing slowly.

Funkin'
10-29-2008, 02:34 PM
I actually think that sounds great. And something I wouldn't mind being a part of it works out exactly like you described.

I wish you luck.

Philip
10-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Sounds like a good project, this site might be something...:)

Good luck then.

5harek
10-29-2008, 03:25 PM
No rar files. No pretimes. Nonscene and all users can upload.
No ratio.
No seedboxes allowed
no one need another piratebay

kareemamir
10-29-2008, 03:31 PM
No seedboxes allowd

Im currentley seeding quite a few torrents. One of these torrents is 12gb. Now, if I did not have a seedbox, I somehow doubt I would be seeding this. I can not leave my computer on 24.7 and I am not always on my PC.

In the last 2 weeks, that one torrent has transferred in excess of 600gb. I can not see myslef doing this on a normal connection where my upload speed is a mere 20kb/sec.

Having a no seedbox rule, is not a great idea, and Im sure many people will argree.

But what an idea. Brilliant. Would love to see this happen, espically with Gazelle.

predateur
10-29-2008, 03:36 PM
the idea is good , but not easy to do ;)
and about this : No seedboxes allowed except for uploaders. (this one is our most revolutionary I think so it is definitely subject to negotiation)

i think you have to change it ,because there is no positive point on it, people want to download fast, and people with seedbox seed fast.

Tokeman
10-29-2008, 03:42 PM
No seedboxes allowd

Im currentley seeding quite a few torrents. One of these torrents is 12gb. Now, if I did not have a seedbox, I somehow doubt I would be seeding this. I can not leave my computer on 24.7 and I am not always on my PC.

In the last 2 weeks, that one torrent has transferred in excess of 600gb. I can not see myslef doing this on a normal connection where my upload speed is a mere 20kb/sec.

Having a no seedbox rule, is not a great idea, and Im sure many people will argree.

But what an idea. Brilliant. Would love to see this happen, espically with Gazelle.

How about having a No seedbox rule for users with >=80kb/s upload?
Would that be more appropriate?

UltraUser
10-29-2008, 03:55 PM
If there's no ratio, what's the point in disallowing seedboxes? I must be missing something.

ovisan
10-29-2008, 04:04 PM
If there's no ratio, what's the point in disallowing seedboxes? I must be missing something.

True. I was wondering the same thing...
No ratio trackers are good, keep this and chuck the no seedboxes and no rar ideas , it might worth

Rikikii
10-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Would be nice project. Good luck, m8!

k_ichigo
10-29-2008, 04:25 PM
idk y no rar files? i couldn't find a movie on any private trackers..so i d/l from mininova and it was like a avi file 700mb. next thing i know i got an email from nbc and universal pictures stating my exact time of download. when i started and when i finished. on the same day i downloaded like a few scene movies from a private tracker and they were all rar files...i didnt get any email. so i wasn't really sure if it was the tracker or the avi file that got their attention.

so my ? is aren't rar files safer, better to seed/leech too. cuz many ppl would have parts of the file downloaded so when they're sharing wouldn't it'd be faster?

BawA
10-29-2008, 04:27 PM
what would be the difference with all the open tracker out there, nothing!
i see nothing special in what you said.
as some1 said, not another PB or MN or even FTN.

Tokeman
10-29-2008, 04:46 PM
idk y no rar files? i couldn't find a movie on any private trackers..so i d/l from mininova and it was like a avi file 700mb. next thing i know i got an email from nbc and universal pictures stating my exact time of download. when i started and when i finished. on the same day i downloaded like a few scene movies from a private tracker and they were all rar files...i didnt get any email. so i wasn't really sure if it was the tracker or the avi file that got their attention.

so my ? is aren't rar files safer, better to seed/leech too. cuz many ppl would have parts of the file downloaded so when they're sharing wouldn't it'd be faster?

Rar files have nothing to do with that. The problem was you were announcing your progress to the public (public tracker), and anyone can see what your doing and how far along you are with that download.

k_ichigo
10-29-2008, 04:47 PM

Rar files have nothing to do with that. The problem was you were announcing your progress to the public (public tracker), and anyone can see what your doing and how far along you are with that download.

thx 4 the reply. i needed to clarify.

kareemamir
10-29-2008, 05:15 PM

Public tracker = Major fail.

Join somewhere like.....erm.....crap. I forgot the name :(

k_ichigo
10-29-2008, 05:19 PM

im in private tracker, but i just couldn't find the movie "honey" any where.:cry: sad part is it wasn't even for me.

ovisan
10-29-2008, 05:35 PM

im in private tracker, but i just couldn't find the movie "honey" any where.:cry: sad part is it wasn't even for me.

The one with J. Alba?
It's on TL...

k_ichigo
10-29-2008, 06:16 PM

The one with J. Alba?
It's on TL...

wow...i feel stupid now...lol thx.

its under retro. i usually look for the blue xvid icon :( aaaaaaaaahhhhh i got into all that trouble for nothing. :frusty::frusty::frusty:

and really srry for spamming ur thread dude.

peronibirra
10-29-2008, 06:24 PM
The reason I would prefer limiting seedboxes is I feel they've taken the fun and the swarm out of torrenting. If you've got a small group of OVH boxes sharing files, its not pure, old-fashioned torrenting. I want to bring the traditional concept of the bittorrent protocol with modern style and security of gazelle. It is lightweight and has some great features that would help on a big site with lots of varied content.

I don't want rars because I want to encourage people to seed longer and seed from home.

I should note that the target audience would be members of Demonoid and users of public trackers. I would love to see this place get massive so we have some huge swarms.

stoi
10-29-2008, 06:36 PM
I do understand what you are trying to say, but why do you think Private trackers are fast, and Public trackers are slow, even if a torrent has 4000 seeders on the public tracker, and 10 seeders on the private tracker?

Its because you can only connect to so many of them, i think the default in utorrent is 350 peers total over all torrents, and/or 50 peers per torrent.

Which basically mean if you connect to just 1 seeder with a SB on a private tracker, you will max your download, but you can not connect to all seeders on a public tracker, only 50 and if each of those are seeding 50 torrents, and each of those 50 torrents have 5,000 seeders, then the swarm goes at a snails pace.

Dont get me wrong, bittorrent is great for sharing and P2P in general, just to many people treat it like kazaa/Emule and share just far to much all at once, so download speeds suffer.

big swarm will more than likely mean slower downloads, i know it sounds bloody stupid, but its the truth, because the chances of you actually connecting to a seedbox, and maxing your connection in a swarm of 5000 seeders, is a hell of a lot slimmer, than if there is 10 seeders.

that is why i can never understand our members, when they say they will wait for more seeders

A: your going to get it slower, unless the initial seeder is not on a seedbox

b: its going to be harder to get your ratio up.

Good luck in your endeaver, but I just cant see it working as you have planned tbh (lots and lots of hit and runs for a start, torrents will last a week then die, even with 20,000 members+.)

btw your argument about rars is bollocks, we have torrents from 2 years ago still on the site, with seeds and they are rared.

LRm
10-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Nonscene and all users can upload.

No seedboxes allowed except for uploaders.

so all users can use seedbox..don`t worry ppl.

niggytardust
10-29-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't get why you're banning seedboxes on a ratioless tracker. The argument against them is that they allow people to buffer and then leach off everyone else, but if there is no buffer why does it matter? If you are trying to make people seed things longer why not show some statistics like total time seeded (all torrents) and average time seeded per torrent and make that information public to show accountability? Let the community shame people into seeding things. Banning seedboxes will likely just make new releases slow.

Otherwise I like the idea very much actually.

Edit- no ratio could work, but kick out people who have both low sharing rates and seed times to get rid of people just there to leech and not share. No formal rule.

derstev
10-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Sorry, nice romantic idea but taking public and private tracker features putting them in a pot, simmering for 20 minutes and serving them up wont work.
You can have as many security features as you like, if your a big open site anyone can join the swarm and have open day on your users ip's.
Seedbox users dont worry about ratio's (or lack of them) on a site. The absence appeals to low upload users. Hence speeds are pretty much doomed as soon as your uploader has to move on.

Cradle
10-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Haha no ratio on a non scene tracker? Did you really think about that one?

Think about it, lets say that mr A decides to upload some nice 1990's movie pack. When it comes out, 20 people see it and decide 'whoa, thats awesome, i should download it". They seed for the required time (im guess 24 hours per GB or something like that?), and then the torrent dies after 1 week.

People seems to think that noratio trackers work, but it wont work in this case unless you have a DAMN GOOD incentive to seed long periods of time. And by damn good incentive, its gotta have to be along the lines of offering a time machine to seeders to go back in time and do jessica alba (pre pregnancy).

Good luck mate, I think the idea of creating a modernized demonoid is a great idea, and i truly wish you success.

k_ichigo
10-30-2008, 04:24 AM
incentive = seed for ban policy :P

active for 3 weeks or something

tradersbeware
10-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Erm, the OP has been banned?

derstev
10-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Now we'll never know what becomes of Demonhuntnovabay.org :/

kelfa
10-31-2008, 12:44 AM
If its no ratio, the seedboxes wouldnt matter. It would just help everyone get files quicker.

slayer2005
10-31-2008, 01:14 AM
Hes obviously been banned coz it was the same guy who opened all the other threads.
Come on people use ur loaf :D

styupe
10-31-2008, 03:06 AM
I agree with the other comments. I don't see enough benefit to stop seedboxes. I use a seedbox because my isp cuts your connection if it detects bittorrent traffic. So I have to use a seedbox. But I did before too. Why limit the speed of your downloaders? They are not going to complain that they are getting the file too quickly.

The only problem I can see is with no ratio. When you are small, you might have problems keeping seeds that way. After you get big, it shouldn't be a problem, but it is possible in the begining. One possible fix could be to offer incentives after certian amounts uploaded, like class promotions, points, invites, forum perks, etc. (you know the drill). Or maybe the time rules (like must seed for a number of hours). But I've always had problems with that one. A person could limit it to 1kb up and give all their bandwith to sites that require uploading. It doesn't work to encourage seeding, but good for sites that track hit n runs.

Another idea, you just didn't track download (publicly atleast). So, example, some guy in your forum asks for a re-seed, I go to his profile and see he has been a member for a year with almost no upload, so I wouldn't fill it. He isn't giving people bandwith, so why should I give him any (though reseed requests would be a good incentive to get people to upload). Now if that same person had say 50 up, I would help him out, even though he may have a lot more down, I have no clue know much. Atleast I know he shared 50gigs and hasn't limited all his torrents for the site.

Lets face facts, many people don't seed if they don't have to. TPB does well, because the amount of users. Its public, more people will jump on the torrents. There are millions of users. Actually lets look at numbers. There are 17 million members, and 7 million are seeders(about 41%) (also, keep in mind a person is probably seeding more than one file, so who knows how many different people are seeding, that number is how many true seeds there are). So if you 10K members and there are 41% seeds that gives you about 4100 (comparison: a private site with about 16k members has 30,000 seeders). There are 7 million seeders with 10 millions leachers (a .7 seed:leecher ratio). So, using those numbers you have 10K members, 4100 seeders and 6970 leechers (comparison: the same private site I currently has 34,473 seeds and 4431 leachers for a 778 ratio) . I'm using numbers from a large community (TBP), so they could be very optimistic. So, really, everyone loves the idea of no ratio but if there is no reason to seed, many won't.
If you skipped the math, lets recap. You have a torrent with 1 seed, 2 leechers it is 500megs large, the seeder is uploading at 20-30kB/s (no seedboxes remembers, most people don't have 'em anyway, so it is a good number). Would you download the torrent? I wouldn't, it would take forever. New torrents would probably have a fair amount of seeds but would probably die quickly. Am I saying no ratio is bad? No, not at all. There just needs to be ways to encourage seeding.

No rar files. No pretimes. Nonscene and all users can upload....wonderful I love the anonymous mode, security and privacy features.
I like the idea, but trying to play devils advocate. It is a good idea, but will it work? According to the numbers...if you do nothing to get people to seed, no. There would be few seeds and slow speeds. If people have reason to upload (still no ratio), then yes, it could. I think the members here could you some great ideas on how to get it to work.

Edit: Well, he wasn't banned with I started typing. Of course with how long I take to type, it was still on page one. :D It is still a good discussion.

fotografic
10-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Did this new site ever start?

ukgenius
11-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Wow this sounds really good. If you make it I would definitely join!

My thoughts though are that you should either choose a site with:
>>>No ratio but allow seedboxes
OR
>>>No seedbox but keep ratio

But thats just my thoughts, you may not agree

wasaby
11-01-2008, 10:16 PM
sounds good
I always wshided demonoid was a live and better site, because it has really huge content but little slow. as you said it will be like that but live and modern so I am in.
good luck

flashback3r
11-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Wow this sounds really good. If you make it I would definitely join!

My thoughts though are that you should either choose a site with:
>>>No ratio but allow seedboxes
OR
>>>No seedbox but keep ratio

But thats just my thoughts, you may not agree

Well said, :stupid:

Albo Da Kid
11-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Wow the guy is already banned?? So long for the non ratio tracker....