PDA

View Full Version : Accidental Ghost leeching

luckyboym
10-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Hello all, I just got banned from a tracker for "ghost leeching". I had to look up this term because I had no idea what it meant. My question is Can someone accidentally "ghost leech"? I understand that you guys cant explain how to do it, but would cycling a router or running a program like CleanUp while downloading cause this problem?

integral
10-29-2008, 10:38 PM
No, attempting to stop reporting what you're leeching to a tracker will do it, as well as giving out your passkey or torrents you've downloaded to other people who do the same thing; this is breaking the rules.

luckyboym
10-30-2008, 12:46 AM
but i dont get it. how could I have been ghost leeching without knowing it?

Cabalo
10-30-2008, 12:49 AM
but i dont get it. how could I have been ghost leeching without knowing it?
ditherski made u a question. or is it preferable to report u as a dupe account and u risk lose your original one ?

PlayeR
10-30-2008, 12:57 AM
I am not sure how you have a ghost leeching. but I dont think it has something to do with CleanUp while you are downloading.

Tokeman
10-30-2008, 01:32 AM
What client were you using, and where did you download it? Normally cheaters run a program, or a modified client. I suppose its possible that you were using a modified client without knowing it, but you should always download clients from the developers site, not some random mirror site.

Tokeman
10-30-2008, 01:37 AM
Well no, there are other possibilities I suppose. I remember hearing about 1 ISP that was messing with the client's announces, they were modifying / blocking the packets sent, and the tracker would see it as cheating.

But that is probably not the case here.

Edit, whered the post above mine go?
Wierd 0_o

luckyboym
10-30-2008, 02:13 AM
well damn. I get banned for nothing and now the tool won't listen to reason.

I understand everyone lies on the internet but come on. I was a member of the tracker for over 5 years and have even donated to them.

freakin sucks

WhoopDeDoo
10-30-2008, 02:18 AM

I understand everyone lies on the internet but come on. I was a member of the tracker for over 5 years and have even donated to them.

freakin sucks
What was the tracker if you don't mind my asking?

luckyboym
10-30-2008, 02:41 AM

freakin sucks
What was the tracker if you don't mind my asking?

pwtorrents

kooftspc11
10-30-2008, 07:48 AM
do you believe in ghosts?

Albo Da Kid
10-30-2008, 08:03 AM

I believe in Styles p...

ceasar
10-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Make sure you stop the torrent, before you delete it from the client, and try to finish download, not just drop it in teh middle. It shopuld solve the problem. No more "ghost leecheng" for you, buddy)

kooftspc11
10-30-2008, 09:19 AM

I believe in Styles p...

i believe in darren styles

<3

RedRansom
10-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Make sure you update the tracker before stop the torrent, before you delete it from the client, and try to finish download, not just drop it in teh middle. It shopuld solve the problem. No more "ghost leecheng" for you, buddy)
//fixed

Albo Da Kid
10-30-2008, 02:16 PM
I believe in Styles p...

i believe in darren styles

<3

Glad we believe in something different than luckyboym's thread.

Disme
10-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Getting caught 'Ghost leeching' has only one possible cause and that's 'Ghost leeching'.

sleepyy
10-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Make sure you stop the torrent, before you delete it from the client, and try to finish download, not just drop it in teh middle. It shopuld solve the problem. No more "ghost leecheng" for you, buddy)

Stopping the torrent before removing it does not matter if you're relating it to a ban it's perfectly ok to remove the torrent without having to stop it.

Tokeman
10-30-2008, 02:53 PM
I remove stuff all the time without stopping or re-announcing. Pointless recommendation.

luckyboym
10-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Getting caught 'Ghost leeching' has only one possible cause and that's 'Ghost leeching'.

that's fine but what I am trying to explain is that it was unintentional. it just sucks that the guy running the only line of communication won't listen to reason

So, if I'm running azureus, the torrent finishes and I remove it, this will not cause Ghosting?

What if I am running azureus and cycle router or modem. This should not cause ghosting, right?

Finally, if azureus is running and I run cleanup deleting cookies and all the other junk, that will not cause ghosting?

I just want to be clear because I DO NOT want this to happen again.

Tokeman
10-30-2008, 05:01 PM
If you remove a torrent once its done, and you haven't seeded enough back, then its a hit and run, not ghost leeching.

If you cycle your router, and the client is still seeding, it will resume when the router boots up. Again, no ghost leeching.

Cleanup has nothing to do with torrents, so no, no ghost leeching.

But you have to keep in mind, you (we) are guests on trackers, and if the admin doesnt want us there, we have no right to be there, weather we have broken rules or not. Do you really want to belong to a site that doesn't want you?

TheGood
10-30-2008, 05:55 PM
i think i accidentally did this once when my router f up.

luckyboym
10-30-2008, 05:57 PM
the reason i bring up the CleanUp prog is that whenever I run it I have to log back into the tracker, just wondered if there was a connection.

About being a member, I could see if it was a tracker I just joined, but this was a community I was a part of for over 5 years. Its like telling me I cant use gamefaqs anymore.

my fear is that if it happened once it will happen again and I could get kicked from another site

stoi
10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
The reason you have to sign back in is because you have just cleared your cookies, got nothing to do with the tracker/client or why you were banned.

luckyboym
10-30-2008, 06:21 PM
it's funny because so far i've learned that I can continue to do everything I have been doing, even though that's what got me banned. I have not seen any explanation of ghosting that actually fits what I do.

stoi
10-30-2008, 06:26 PM
I havnt used the PHP announce on a tracker for the best part of 3 years now, and i know we used to get it a lot, with XBTT we never really see it.

Honestly if i told you what it was, i would be lieing, because i cant remember what the main cause of the problem is, its been that long since i have seen the problem.

Basically i think, you do not stop the torrent, but say your PC crashes/you just restart your PC. you never send a STOP announce to the tracker, so you just look like your still on it.

We have it coded now that if you have not announced to the tracker for 1:30min you get kicked off the torrent, what their setup is though i have no idea.

So it does look like you were banned, because of whatever you done to your router.

kelfa
10-31-2008, 12:41 AM
It sucks to get banned, esspecially when the staff are a$$holes and will not even listen to you. Most staff are really dicks when It comes to that stuff, they call you a liar and cuss you out, most are immature little pricks.

Even if you have been a good member for years, they just shit you out and don't care for 1 sec.

Sorry bro, move on a pick a better community

primevil
10-31-2008, 03:09 AM
I have had that problem to it is caused by a random crash or router constantly dropping out.

integral
10-31-2008, 05:28 AM
Ghost torrents aren't related to ghost leeching. "Ghost" torrents are, as stated above, duplicate reported sessions of a torrent you are leeching, which can be caused by a myriad of things, including torrent client crashes. Ghost leeching is effectively getting the data from peers on a given torrent without reporting the stats to the tracker itself.

kooftspc11
10-31-2008, 05:53 AM
what if a ghost was leeching from your account while you were asleep?

Funkin'
10-31-2008, 06:07 AM
As long as it was giving me a hand job it wouldn't be a problem.

kooftspc11
10-31-2008, 06:27 AM

but what if the ghost was a man?

Artemis
10-31-2008, 06:28 AM

well it is halloween :naughty:

Funkin'
10-31-2008, 06:40 AM

but what if the ghost was a man?

Hmmm...then that would be a dilemma.

kooftspc11
10-31-2008, 06:43 AM

well it is halloween :naughty:

be afraid.....be very afraid

Artemis
10-31-2008, 06:37 PM
The OP could always join AOM, download a Ouija torrent to find out how to communicate with the ghost that used his a/c ? and tell him to f*&# off and get his own a/c's :naughty:

kooftspc11
10-31-2008, 07:32 PM
The OP could always join AOM, download a Ouija torrent to find out how to communicate with the ghost that used his a/c ? and tell him to f*&# off and get his own a/c's :naughty:

upon further investigation...

it appears the ghost is the original account holder and this asshole has been using his passkey for months

the ruling is for the defendant...the plaintiff is hereby sentenced to reincarnation as a cumrag for the next 10 lifetimes and will also be required to pay a $3 restitution

court is adjourned

luckylittle
10-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Just little note: This is normally happening when you use rTorrent. I delete .torrent from /watch directory, it automatically delete it from rTorrent client and it's no longer seeded. But sometimes I see on the tracker that I am still seeding it. This is usually just for 10-20 minutes and then I am no loner reported as seeder. I don't know what is causing it...

Edit: Oh I just realized I may not be talking about the same problem :-)

Rilly
11-01-2008, 01:58 PM
You guys are still mixing up Ghost leeching, and ghost torrents.
Ghost torrents will disappear after a period of time.. one or two announce cycles.. You would never get banned for ghost torrents because that means you aren't in the swarm and you are not getting anything without doing ratio updates.. Why would an admin ban for ghost torrents? You aren't getting anything for free.

Ghost leeching is when you are still downloading from peers, but not announcing to the tracker. The main thing about ghost leecing is that you are STILL in the SWARM. When an admin suspects you are ghost leeching, they should wait a couple of tracker announce cycles to ensure you are not announcing again.

And.. ghost leeching isn't always on purpose, even though admins like to ban quickly because they like to think that they caught a cheater and assume everyone is a cheater. A misconfigured client can cause ghost leeching as well. Scenario is you connect to the tracker , then suddenly the tracker times out for you and will not reconnect. Timeouts could be because you have DHT enabled and your router is getting overwelmed.. or you have your utorrent max_halfopen sessions set to something like 100 but your tcp patch is no longer valid (recent MS patches?), or even you have your upload set too high. Any tracker errors that start after you first connected to the tracker successfully, but now cannot could be misconstrued as ghost leeching.