PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Thin About Seedbox On Trackers

Enzo
10-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Are you against the use of seedbox on trackers or what?Do you think seedbox just be used by uploaders and only uploaders?
Is just to hard for people who don't have a seedbox or a great internet connections to maintain a good ratio in some trackers..

Give your opinion

ryan20021982
10-29-2008, 11:12 PM
If I didnt have a seedbox I wouldnt even be able to get what I wanted
from some sites I would be forced to go elswhere to find it, which
sometimes there is nowhere to find it.

integral
10-29-2008, 11:35 PM
More seedbox users on a tracker usually represents higher speeds and longer retention, although it can also represent difficulty for seedbox-less users to maintain a good ratio.

I'm of the opinion that seedboxes are a good thing for trackers. Most people who are of different opinion wish to constrain the advancement of technology to preserve the archaic system of the 1:1 ratio.

With high-speed Internet lines getting cheaper, it's clear that the ratio concept should be abandoned or be weighted lower than other factors, such as the total duration that you seed something.

Albo Da Kid
10-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Seedboxes are what make private trackers awesome. Fast speeds and they keep alive old content. If it wasn't for speeds i would still be in mininova right now but the seedboxes which provide fast speeds is the reason how i discovered torrentleech.

Fileman
10-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Depends on the tracker. Some trackers make keeping a good ratio easy through use of different point systems not entirely based on upload. Overall though seedboxes are a good thing imo.

lukee
10-30-2008, 12:55 AM
Think of it this way. What would you prefer. Driving to your gf's house to bang her for 1 hour or fly to your gf's house in a luxury plane and get there earlier and have 3 hours to bang her?

Choice is simple. Seedboxes ftw.

Valoo
10-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Seedboxes are useful not only for uploaders. They are used by many people to not have to block their computer and their internet line hours and hours for downloading and seeding.

About their consequences on trackers, it could be a risk if admins put the minimal ratio to hight, in particular on trackers with not enough members. For all others trackers it a great thing, many sbox users seed more than they leech and give a bonus of speed for all users.

Tokeman
10-30-2008, 01:35 AM
I'm not against users having seedboxes, but I am against them overseeding with them (buffering). This makes it impossible for other users to reach a 1/1 ratio. Now I do know some people will never reach 1/1, but if every one is overseeding, then regular users who used to be able to get 1/1 on a torrent, will no longer be able to since the seedbox is doing all the uploading.

For no ratio sites with seed times, who cares. Let them over seed, it just increases the speeds and no one is hurt by it, since 1/1 isn't required or even monitored.

niggytardust
10-30-2008, 01:45 AM
I think an overseeding rule of 5 to 1 should be implemented.

gtf004
10-30-2008, 02:13 AM
I am for seedboxes on private trackers.I love the speed and file retention. I have to admit that in the past I have been one to overseed but I actually use the buffer when I download older torrents that i wont be able to seed back because there are no leechers. I used to see no problem with overseeding and then I saw it from the other side when I first joined SCC and I was only averaging a .6 ratio. I recently set my seedbox to limit the ratio to 2:1.

TP635
10-30-2008, 02:47 AM
Seedbox plus seed time bonus or 72hrs minimum seeding time make a good tracker.

internazionale 1908
10-30-2008, 03:25 AM
They are great and here to stay.
But with an adsl connection great to leech hard to seed... however still easy to survive in those trackers (freeleech double upload) gives a good help on that.

best regards

apextwin146
10-30-2008, 04:20 AM
I dont entirely agree with the fact that seedboxes help a site to have greater speeds etc .. How many of you have a Home connection greater than 8mbps .. Hell only a few ppl have 8mps lines and most of them are in US or Europe .. Rest all still live in the dark ages like myself(1 mbit for 60$ :( ) ..Seedbox only promote overseeding as they cut into the seeding of users that dont use a seedbox ..( I have seen most of the ppl doing atleast 20:1 on new releases .. ) .. There should be rule to prevent this from happening ..
Secondly it reduces the retention imo .. Most usres just buy a seedbox for a month or so .. All the content hosted on it is deleted on it if they dont download it to their Home PC .. But imagine if they downloaded a 50gig file .. Would they be able to download it to their Home PC with their poor connection ..Most likely they wont and this would mean less seeders for that torrent/file ..

integral
10-30-2008, 04:25 AM
I dont entirely agree with the fact that seedboxes help a site to have greater speeds etc .. How many of you have a Home connection greater than 8mbps .. Hell only a few ppl have 8mps lines and most of them are in US or Europe .. Rest all still live in the dark ages like myself(1 mbit for 60$ :( ) ..Seedbox only promote overseeding as they cut into the seeding of users that dont use a seedbox ..( I have seen most of the ppl doing atleast 20:1 on new releases .. ) .. There should be rule to prevent this from happening ..
Secondly it reduces the retention imo .. Most usres just buy a seedbox for a month or so .. All the content hosted on it is deleted on it if they dont download it to their Home PC .. But imagine if they downloaded a 50gig file .. Would they be able to download it to their Home PC with their poor connection ..Most likely they wont and this would mean less seeders for that torrent/file ..

I don't understand how you justified seedboxes not helping site speeds by stating that a lot of home users have slow Internet?

Also, most people pay for a seedbox monthly, except the cheap people who scrounge up enough money for one month just to make a 'hueg buffer'. But luckily there aren't so many people like that. :)

I also don't see the connection between being able to download every single file off of your seedbox and retention of files on a tracker. Do you think everyone uses every file they download? I hope no one thinks the users who snatch 0day mp3/software packs install every crappy software and add every single mp3 to their playlists. Some people just do it for buffer.

Funkin'
10-30-2008, 04:30 AM
I really don't care. Even with my max 80kb/s up I'm still able to keep great ratio's everywhere I go.

I don't think I would care one way or the other if I site had a userbase full of seedbox users or not.

Unstable1
10-30-2008, 09:38 AM
I used to be against seedbox's until I got one. :-P

Actatoi
10-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Think of it this way. What would you prefer. Driving to your gf's house to bang her for 1 hour or fly to your gf's house in a luxury plane and get there earlier and have 3 hours to bang her?

Choice is simple. Seedboxes ftw.

Logic example you got there.

apextwin146
10-30-2008, 09:57 AM

I don't understand how you justified seedboxes not helping site speeds by stating that a lot of home users have slow Internet?

Also, most people pay for a seedbox monthly, except the cheap people who scrounge up enough money for one month just to make a 'hueg buffer'. But luckily there aren't so many people like that. :)

I also don't see the connection between being able to download every single file off of your seedbox and retention of files on a tracker. Do you think everyone uses every file they download? I hope no one thinks the users who snatch 0day mp3/software packs install every crappy software and add every single mp3 to their playlists. Some people just do it for buffer.
"I don't understand how you justified seedboxes not helping site speeds by stating that a lot of home users have slow Internet?"
The thing i was trying to point out is that the users with seedbox usually iverseed to such a extent that the normal users dont get a chance to reach 1:1 or 2:1 on most files like HD movies and games .. I am not saying that seedbox dont help the site its just that they do damage to normal users in the process .. cuz of their higher bandwidth the peers tend to derive more data from them than lower bandwidth users ..
Retentivity remkark was directly aimed at cheap users as mentioned by you who just rent a box for a month and delete files when they have a gud enuff ratio on that torrent .. They dont tend to seed long like most of the home users..
Again you have a valid point about the Mp3/appz but wat about the movie packs/games and HD movies which are more than 10gb .. That everyone should seed for a long time after getting it off from the box ..
Please dont misunderstand me that i am saying seedbox are bad for the site but its just that for ppl with limited home connection speeds it sucks but thats the way it is in the end ..
Also if you would look more closely this problem is in a way related to the problem of partial seeding/n00b killling .. Most of the ppl with a slow connection in an attempt to gain buffer indulge in partial seeding .. This gives the wrong impression on the number of leechers associated with a file ..

Enzo
10-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Well im no against seedbox, but i agree with some people about overseeding some particular files like pre releases... For a example yesterday i just download Fallout 3 from a tracker (not necessary to mention) and i just cold be able to seed in two days just 300Mb :( , but my friend who have a seedbox was able to seed like 4/1 :S.. But other think seedbox are great is for the huge pack's like 50gbs large, was to dam hard have a decent download to get those packs..

stoi
10-30-2008, 10:36 AM
This is an age old (well 2-3 years old) argument.

The point is, in a swarm of 2000 seeders with 10 SB users and 1000 leechers, not every downloader will max their connections.

because the SB can only connect to so many leechers, and the leechers can only connect to so many seeders, hence why people get faster speeds on a private tracker with 10 seeders with 1 or 2 SB members on them, than on a public tracker with 4000 seeders and 1 or 2 SB members on the torrent. (even on a private torrent with the same ratios).

Now to the question of are they good for a site, well obviously I can only talk about BCG, but to right they are, but our SP system tends to balance the books somewhat.

About retention though, its not really the SB members that have to keep torrents forever and a day, it is the members with slow home upload connections that should be doing that really.

Because you cant get the actual ratio when a brand new torrent is uploaded, because of all the seedboxes, I understand that, im there myself most of he time, and lets be honest a home connection just cant cope if there are 20-30 SB on a torrent, they bully you out and you dont get a look in, so to get your actual ratio up, you should have more patience and seed for longer than you normally would, if its on the tracker, someone will want it, eventually.

I have used a SB once, i just thought it was to bloody easy and took the fun out of seeding, but thats just me, without them downloads would slow to a crawl, Ok better for your ratio, but lets be honest here if a tracker has.

Slow pre-times
Slow torrents to download
Easy to make a ratio

Its usually a crap tracker (not my outlook just what i hear a lot on here and other sites).

Its like i still hear members of BCG say on other sites

"Can anyone find me XXX game"

"its on BCG"

reply back

"yeah but its old, i will be seeding it back for years"

Well no they bloody wont, a 4 gig torrent will take you a week max, OK if you want the actual ratio it very well might, but then it would on all other trackers out there anyway, so whats the point of having a tracker with great retention, if most members wont download anything older that the 1st browse page because they cant get a ratio on older stuff, this does not apply to us, even though some are still so set in their ways, they cant see that SP is a good thing.

and you wonder why I loose it occasionally, you just have to have a look at the poll on our home page to see why I loose it.

anyway i digress.

SB are great, if they are used for the community to help downloaders out, by getting fast speeds on most torrents, if they are used to to get a silly buffer on 1 torrent, say 500 gig, and then the member then goes and hit and runs another 500gig off crap off the same tracker (or uses that buffer for a better trade), then in my view, thats cheating, they may as well have just got a cheat program and saved themselves some cash tbh.

crooked
10-30-2008, 01:44 PM
I think Seedboxes are necessary in today's tracker world.

Sure, some Users complain about ratio problems and that they aren't able to download that much because of the ratio..

But, guys, imagine we wouldn't have those uploaders with SB. The Download wouldn't be as fast as it is at the moment..Then we would also complain..

If you really seed without Seedbox, you ARE able to keep a good ratio..

wasaby
10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
in my opinion, seedboxes are really good things for torrents sites. what-if they were not exist?
also they cause you spend less electricity, and you can make a good atio on top sites and that makes you feel free etc.
it is just such a good choice i started to think to get one.

kelfa
10-31-2008, 12:24 AM
There is nothing wrong with seedboxes on private trackers. How do you think everyone gets the files so fast. I do think tho, that people with seedboxes should be a little more aware of overseeding tho. If your just buffering and seeding to 10+ ratios on all torrents thats a little much. I try and limit my box to a 4-5 ratio on really good torrents, which happens within the first night usually. Then I let everyone else take over and get theirs.

Enzo
10-31-2008, 11:51 AM
But would be different rules for who use seedbox and who's not?

ban
10-31-2008, 08:00 PM
seedboxes greatly help speed tracker but at the same time make life more difficult users with low bandwidth

AMnesko
11-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Are you against the use of seedbox on trackers or what?Do you think seedbox just be used by uploaders and only uploaders?
Is just to hard for people who don't have a seedbox or a great internet connections to maintain a good ratio in some trackers..

Give your opinion
A seedbox is great to get a torrent started, until the torrent gets a fair amount of seeders. But after that, my opinion is that the seedbox owner should let the other seeders do their thing. I am completely against overseeding since I do not see the use of a 10+ ratio on every single torrent you seed. This is harmful for those who do not own a seedbox, since they`ll most likely not be able to get the desired 1:1 ratio any time soon.

Koja
11-01-2008, 09:25 AM
hell no .

wasaby
11-01-2008, 12:42 PM
seedboxes!
day by day I am getting nearly to have one.
this thing is really attracting me because of needing high speed upload