PDA

View Full Version : Pay for invite

ignis
10-31-2008, 12:15 PM
I was curious, how many private tracker staff members would consider inviting someone for a donation?

I know some private trackers, like HDBits, give out invites based on users' ratio and account age. Others, like ScT, sell invites or give out invites to VIP members (TL). But in all those cases in order to be invited you have to know some other user who has an invite.

What if you, as a staff member, were offered a 'donation' of a certain amount, for the sake of the argument, let's say $100. The user is familiar with the tracker's rules and only has the best intentions and interest at heart :)

Would you invite him?

sexten
10-31-2008, 12:23 PM
I've already been offered up to $100 for an invite/re-enable. And I of course said no.

Funkin'
10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
I really don't think you're going to get any staff member to admit that if they were offered cash for an invite(especially a hundred bucks) that they would do it.

ignis
10-31-2008, 12:29 PM
I've already been offered up to $100 for an invite/re-enable. And I of course said no.
Why though? The difference between an existing member donating and a non-member wishing to donate to become a member seems to be very blurry. In the end, in both cases the money towards the tracker's needs and besides, the person in the latter case would be more likely to donate again.

msa9167
10-31-2008, 01:43 PM
I won't pay for an invite and why get yourself ban.

fotografic
10-31-2008, 02:26 PM
I know of at least one site that will accept 100 bucks for an invite!

sexten
10-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Why though? The difference between an existing member donating and a non-member wishing to donate to become a member seems to be very blurry. In the end, in both cases the money towards the tracker's needs and besides, the person in the latter case would be more likely to donate again.

Because it is morally incorrect. Invites should be free, and donating should be based on your support of the site, not just to get in. I.E. only donate to sites you love and feel deserve the support, not just so you can get invites or ratio or a higher status etc.

phosphors
10-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Why shouldn't people sell invites when greedy people like sct staff profit from it...

integral
10-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Why shouldn't people sell invites when greedy people like sct staff profit from it...

Are you sure they profit? I wonder if they're still accepting donations for a computer for that silly staff member who lives in a third world country. :wacko:

Ac3Dunk
10-31-2008, 09:36 PM
I lol'd :D for $100 I will subscrib for 6 months in usenet even more and I would care abt any ratio shiit

BlueLabel
11-01-2008, 12:02 AM
do you really think that someone reject 100$??
99% of staff will except it but 0% will admit it.

Funkin'
11-01-2008, 12:07 AM
But seriously, someone who would pay that much for an invite(I can't even see how people pay money for a ScT invite) is a complete fool. I don't care what site they're paying to access.

DKre8ive1
11-01-2008, 12:21 AM

That could be the case but the other side of the coin is if a site is doing this it makes it very easy for anyone who cares about tracking ip's for profit or even legal action to join a site and yes I know if they want to get in I am sure they will find a way, but this would be the easiest method for them to get in.

Animal
11-01-2008, 12:21 AM

This seems to be a very valid argument in my opinion. I had never thought of it like that.

Roooney
11-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Don't see the problem really. At the end of the day, all trackers need donations to keep on going, and if there's a person who's willing to donate alot of money to help the site out, then I really can't see the problem. Not every user on a site donates, hell some of them can't even hold a 1:1 ratio, but still they're allowed to be a part of a tracker that a donator wants in on.

BlueLabel
11-01-2008, 01:19 AM
what happened when you pay to get in and disappointed from what you see??
the tracker that you willed to pay for is not what you think??
donation supposed to be when you love the tracker and wish to help not buying your way in.

Roooney
11-01-2008, 02:35 AM
I don't think people are willing to donate lots of money on sites they don't know anything from, more likely people want to donate 50$ to ftn rather than 50$ to Demonoid.
If however, there are someone out there willing to pay 50$ for Demoniod, please PM me :D