PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Sharing

DWk
09-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Well I ain't sure if these is the right place to post it....but i guess if not it would be placed in the limbo :D

K im gonna get cable in a week so i want to share the conn with another computer.

I already bought enough cable and have a good ole switch to back me up on this. I got the extra lan card for my computer and im ready to own :P
However, the other computer is a little far from mine, so I was wondering how much would it slow down (for the 1st AND 2nd computer) the internet...

the cable i would use be at top 50 meters in length...

any ideas, literate friends? :D

DWk

smellmycomputer
09-07-2003, 02:16 PM
i don't think there should be any real slowdown, unless the other computer is using the internet at exactly the same time as yours. then you'r connection will slow down by the same amout as the other computer is using. i think atleast, still waiting to share my connection with the machine upstairs

clocker
09-07-2003, 02:33 PM
My parents have two computers sharing a connection through Ethernet>router>modem and there doesn't seem to be any problem at all even when both comps are on the internet.

Somebody1234
09-07-2003, 06:19 PM
You won't notice much difference even if they are using the other connection. Maybe some if they have mulitple downloads going. I share a 1.2 mbps connection with 3 computers via a router here without a problem.

Snee
09-07-2003, 07:55 PM
It depends what you're doing on the other computer, If you're doing something that requires a lot of bandwith then there will definitely a slowdown. I've seen it happen a few times.

Edit: multiple downloads will do that, yeah or really heavy surfing on two or three flashsites at the same time to name anther example.

DWk
09-07-2003, 11:11 PM
what if the computer that has the actual access is the one downloading stuff....while the other one is just surfing....?

DWk

Somebody1234
09-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Are you going to use a router?

If so there is no main or secondary computer. They all have the same priority.

The router is the device connected to the modem and then each computer is connected to the router. You get the added benefit of higher security too as the internal network is firewalled from to internet.

Click here for info about routers. (http://www.linksys.com/)

DWk
09-07-2003, 11:14 PM
no a switch....just use 2 lan cards on my computer and just one lan card on the 2nd one (this one would connect to my switch)

DWk

ps: i just finished making all the cabling.....couple of hours hehe

Somebody1234
09-07-2003, 11:20 PM
I had done it your way when i set it up the first time.

You will be much happier if you get a router. It's much easier to configure.

DWk
09-07-2003, 11:22 PM
well it dont matter...the swtich cost me 100 dollas and i wont just use it for this.... (its a 16port switch) but for lan parties 2 :D

DWk

ps: if u want, i can give u a link of a great tutorial to share the conn :D

Somebody1234
09-07-2003, 11:26 PM
You can get a router for under $100 and have a hardware firewall built-in.

I don't need a link for that tutorial but post it anyway. It can help other people reading this.

DWk
09-08-2003, 12:06 AM
well this is it...pretty easy to follow...i dont think its working right now tho

http://www.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp

server must be down...but i guess itll be up again soon

DWk

firebird32
09-08-2003, 01:16 AM
would have been cheaper with a twisted cable, I share my AOl account (now stop laughing at the back the wife wanted it) and it works fine you wont loose and bandwidth, but of course you wont gain any either, so it really depends on what the two computers are doing. my daughter chats on MSN and does not download so i dont notice the difference, but if both were downloading then bandwidth will half-ish

DWk
09-08-2003, 02:40 AM
well yea i can make a cross-over cable instead of using the switch....but doesnt that slow down? i mean...using the crossover instead of the switch?

DWk

Cygnuz-Y
09-08-2003, 02:49 AM
No, its the same as using a switch!!!!!

What do you think a Switch does? accelerate the connection, NO!

It just share it, in the same speed troughout all the pcs connected to it... :D

Somebody1234
09-08-2003, 03:07 AM
Cross over is limited to 10 Mbps whereas when connected though a switch or router and you use 10/100 approved hardware you will attain 100 Mbps. So it is faster for transfers within the local area network but it has no impact on internet speed.

DWk
09-08-2003, 03:13 AM
oh well i use my switch anyways :D

DWk

silverccrow
09-08-2003, 03:34 AM
The answer is lagg ! :rolleyes:

Cygnuz-Y
09-08-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by silverccrow@8 September 2003 - 03:34
The answer is lagg ! :rolleyes:
lol :P :lol:

MediaSlayer
09-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Dwk: Thanks for starting this thread. I kept seeing the abbreviation ICF, ICF, then somewhere I saw ICS and I was getting them mixed up. Talk about happy, that helped me to clear it up. :P

DWk
09-09-2003, 03:06 AM
jeje....i still dont know if using the cable as a crossover cable or just using the switch.... does config change by using a crossover? like for makin the LAN?

DWk

Cygnuz-Y
09-09-2003, 03:17 AM
Your question has already been answered stop spamming :spam: :spam: :flame:

DWk
09-09-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by DWk@9 September 2003 - 03:06
does config change by using a crossover? like for makin the LAN?
need me to write it again? nm...you READ it again...

DWk

lynx
09-09-2003, 04:05 AM
A cross-over only allows you to connect 2 comps together, but that's all you need if you've only got 2 pc's and no switch. And cross-over is not limited to 10mbps - autosensing cards will automatically run at 100mbps if both ends support it. Cable length does not affect transmission speeds (well only slightly, the propogation runs at the speed of light) as long as you do not exceed the maximum permitted length (100 metres on Cat 5).

But if you've already got a switch, you may as well use it, it doesn't make sense to use anything else. When connecting 2 pc's together, at some point you have to connect the transmit pair of one computer to thr receive pair of the other, and vice-versa. This is the 'cross over''. If you are using a cross-over cable, you do this in the cable, if you are using a switch the cross over is effectively inside the switch so you use straight cables. There are no configuration changes. So as you say, use the switch and you have extra ports for lan parties.

Hope that clears everything up.

DWk
09-09-2003, 04:25 AM
ah thx for that good answer :D

yea cable is under 50 meters... i still havent put the connectors....but i think ima make em crossover cuz im just gonna give the other computer access to the internet...

my question is...if i use the crossover...will the network "connection" will be automatically detected as if using a switch?

DWk

Somebody1234
09-09-2003, 05:11 AM
@lynx

This text appears in the user manual for my NIC. It is in the section that says what is required to achieve 100 Mbps.

Connecting for 100-Mbps Fast Ethernet

Category 5 UTP cable is required for Fast Ethernet
operation. The maximum cable run between the DFE-
530TX and the supporting hub is 100m. The cable must be
straight (not a crossover cable), with an RJ-45 plug at each
end. Make the network connection by plugging one end of
the cable into the RJ-45 jack of the DFE-530TX, and the
other end into a port of the supporting hub.

As you can see, it clearly states that you need a straight cable and not a crossover cable for 100 Mbps operation.

lynx
09-09-2003, 05:34 AM
I'd better tell my pc's to stop being connected to each other at 100mbps then.

If you read it a bit more carefully, it is telling you the cable spec for a cable running between a DFE-530TX and a hub, which of course must be a straight through cable. If you had a similar document telling you how to connect a DFE-530TX to another DFE-530TX it would tell you exactly the same thing, except it would tell you to use a cross-over cable.

I've been connecting Fast Ethernet devices back to back for years without any problems (we had a 100mbps connection between 2 machines about 3 weeks after the NIC's became available, and 100mbps hubs were 1) very expensive and 2) as hard to get hold of as rocking horse shit.

Fyi, Cat 5 cable is rated at about 250MHz, and is quite capable of being used for Gigahertz ethernet (which doesn't run at 1 GHz) since it uses multiple wires in parallel to achieve the higher bandwidth.

DWk
09-10-2003, 12:50 AM
w0otage...thx for the info....ill try it with crossover...thx for ur info every1...

DWk