PDA

View Full Version : OVH FTP speeds slower?

Sanka113
11-02-2008, 09:02 AM
EDIT: 4-28-2010 please see last post.

After not having OVH for a few months I finally got back on with them. Unfortunately, my FTP speeds are half as fast as they were a few months ago. Even though, I have exactly the same setup in regards to how my server and ftp client is setup as I had before, that maxed out my connection at 500 kilobytes/s. The company (located in poland) I was with during my OVH hiatus maxed out my connection So i don't think it's a problem with my line personally. Can anyone shed any light on their OVH FTP speeds and tell me if something has changed in the past 3 months?

Thanks! :)

Raban
11-02-2008, 09:28 AM
i find the ftp speed fluctuates through the day ...

what you need to do is get a FTP client that can transfer using multiple connections... this way you are guaranteed to max your bandwith...

just keep increasing connections until you're as high as you wanna go

Sanka113
11-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the help, but my results are still shittier than before even when I increase my normal amount of threads. With the same exact software and settings on my pc and server, it still sucks.

gotchay
11-02-2008, 10:51 PM
this wouldn't surprise me. ovh is horrible.

Valoo
11-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Sanka113 are your torrent speeds slow too ? if they aren't, maybe it's a problem with your FTP configuration etc.

And are you in US ?

Sanka113
11-03-2008, 12:37 AM
FTP Config ( tried vftpd and proftpd) and Torrent speeds seem fine. Weird.

Submission
12-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I have the same problem. OVH ftp speeds go up only to 3mbits during the night and 1mbit during the day.

xprshnz
12-03-2008, 01:48 AM
yeah everything to do with ovh has been bad lately. FTP speeds are more than half of what they used to be.

dimutri
12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
My ftp speeds are quite slow as well on OVH too, not sure what the problem is though

Valoo
12-05-2008, 02:45 AM
On these kinds of servers, it's not a surprise to not get your max home line speed with FTP, especially if your ping is high due to the distance between you and the datacenter (if you are in US for example).

The best you can do is to use a multi-parts FTP downloader. I noticed Free Download Manager, Internet download manager and CuteFTP. Others clients like Filezilla only support multithreading with differents files, but only one connection per file whereas the others can use several connections even for one file.

Sometimes it's also a problem with the settings of the server or on your home installation (an external router/NAT, an antivirus/firewall scanning in real time the traffic etc.)

Sanka113
12-05-2008, 09:50 AM
We'll it just keeps getting slower every month it seems. Instead of doing 5 threads i bumped it up to ten. This month I'm having to bump it up to 15. If it gets any slower I'll probably have to reconsider going with another provider.

RD22S
12-05-2008, 11:35 AM
It's been the same speed (maxing out on single connection) for 5 months on my end. No problems or difference

Sanka113
04-29-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm back on a ovh server but now the speeds are even SLOWER for me than last year. 3dftp used to work well for me but it also sucks. Can a US ovh user recommend a ftp program that can max out my 12 mbit connection?

Seedcafe
05-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Sanka113
I use cuteFtp and max out my 25 meg line all the time.
Even Filezilla works ok for me also.

samson
05-08-2010, 10:57 AM
i found when Im using my client at the same time, yes then speeds avg at 500 to 1000kB/s too. But if I lower the amount of my torrent then I can easy max my connection which is 8mb/s

phauk
05-08-2010, 08:41 PM
We'll it just keeps getting slower every month it seems. Instead of doing 5 threads i bumped it up to ten. This month I'm having to bump it up to 15. If it gets any slower I'll probably have to reconsider going with another provider.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

OVH Network is just a joke now, why they have been banned from a big tracker - it used to be great, but it's oversold in my opinion - thinking they can offer 1Gbps and 10Gbps boxes when it's no where the speed a true 1Gbps or 10Gbps connection would be - and when they open the market to US/CA/BR customers you can guarantee it will be 10x worse.

everyone knows why they choose ovh... it's the price, the fact they are the most widely used servers on most trackers (therefore get a good ratio as you get better speeds with internal bandwidth) - it's definitely not the customer support :happy:

unoriginal
05-08-2010, 10:30 PM
What tracker did OVH get banned from?

Beeker
05-09-2010, 09:49 PM
my speeds are never slow 3MB/s DL i suggest you try sftp

L33cH
05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
lol all ovh server have good FTP speeds TO the place they sell they servers too why do you think they dont sell to usa? cuz the traffic is very expansive and not only usa all the rest too if you looking for ftp speeds from ovh to buy premium traffic and you well see how the speed improve :)