PDA

View Full Version : New Goodies

clocker
11-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Well, it's been a while since Sprocket was treated to anything new but she lucked out this week.

One side effect of our faltering economy is many failing businesses.
A friend of mine is in the computer recycling biz and has been gobbling up all the computer stuff from closing offices.
Last week he bid on a pallet of goods and for $400- FOUR HUNDRED DAMN BUCKS!- he got 10 Dell workstations, 10 20" IBM LCD monitors, a rackmount network setup (mostly Cisco) and 10 printer/scanners.

In exchange for helping cart away the booty, I got a monitor.
Not as stylish as regular consumer unit, the IBM has a thicker bezel and more pedestrian appearance but has a tilt/swivel/height adjustable base and is built like a brick shithouse.
Not a big step up from my old 19" but the main advantage is the resolution- the IBM runs 1600 x 1200 natively while the 19" (which was basically just a stretched 17" unit) only ran 1280 x 1024. It also has DVI connectors- the old unit was d-sub.
Plus, it's standard format...I'm not sold on "widescreen" models because they stretch text and look funny to me.

Not to mention, it was free!

Yesterday I picked up a LaCie 1TB external drive at Microcenter.
On sale for only $129.
It's actually quite stylish and silent in operation.
Internet rumor has it that they are either Samsung or Seagate SATA drives inside- I haven't opened it up to confirm (although you can bet I will soon!).
I just looked at the drive with Everest. It shows up as a Seagate TB SATA drive with 32MB cache. So basically, when you buy the LaCie you get a nice drive in a $10 enclosure...all in all, a very good deal I think.

I consolidated all my video- 936GB- onto it yesterday.
Because of the USB interface- and possibly because of Vista's slow file transfer performance- this took almost 9 hours.
Now I want another one...

Finally, this Wednesday I'll be getting a 64GB SSD from my buddy Eric who still works at the shop where I was employed.
He upgraded a customer laptop to a larger drive and they just gave him the 64GB. He can't really use it and since he owes me a few favors, he's giving it to me.

This will lead to a total reconfiguration of Sprocket.
Haven't really finalized what I want to do...a lot will depend on the case I choose to use.
I'll post pics when I get her done...just thought I'd share my good fortune right now.

Zorg
11-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Widescreen monitors don't stretch text if you run the correct resolution.

doing work and getting something for said work is not free. :)

Detale
11-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Good for sprocket man she deserves it. Can't wait to see what you're going to do with everything. I have a WS monitor and Z is right it takes a while, at least for me, but you can mess with the res to get the text looking right.

anoneemuse
11-02-2008, 06:13 PM
how about build a linux cluster with all those hardware :D

clocker
11-02-2008, 09:38 PM
doing work and getting something for said work is not free. :)
So that's how it works.

I have a WS monitor and Z is right it takes a while, at least for me, but you can mess with the res to get the text looking right.
On my recent trip I worked with three different PCs, all of which had WS monitors, all of which looked weird/wrong to me.
A friend of mine has a dual monitor setup- a 28" WS with a 19" normal ratio right next to it. Side by side, the difference is marked.
Maybe you get used to it but there's no denying that a WS distorts text.

sleepyness
11-02-2008, 09:43 PM
So that's how it works.

I have a WS monitor and Z is right it takes a while, at least for me, but you can mess with the res to get the text looking right.
On my recent trip I worked with three different PCs, all of which had WS monitors, all of which looked weird/wrong to me.
A friend of mine has a dual monitor setup- a 28" WS with a 19" normal ratio right next to it. Side by side, the difference is marked.
Maybe you get used to it but there's no denying that a WS distorts text.

It shouldn't at all. The resolution on your friend's 28" isn't set up correctly or something. If your 20" is WS, then the resolution shouldn't be 1600x1200. Most wide screen resolutions are 1680x1050, 1920x1200, etc.

clocker
11-02-2008, 09:53 PM
It shouldn't at all. The resolution on your friend's 28" isn't set up correctly or something. If your 20" is WS, then the resolution shouldn't be 1600x1200. Most wide screen resolutions are 1680x1050, 1920x1200, etc.
I guarantee that my friend's screen is "set up correctly".
My 20" is NOT wide screen so it's resolution is also correct.

tesco
11-02-2008, 10:01 PM
I guarantee that my friend's screen is "set up correctly".
My 20" is NOT wide screen so it's resolution is also correct.
Mine doesn't distort the text at all either.
If you're using the right ratio of resolution (example 1440*900 for my screen) the text appears exactly as it would with a "regular" monitor, except that more fits onto one line because of the extra width. ;)

kooftspc11
11-02-2008, 10:03 PM
tbh ive never really been a widescreen fan. but nowadays it seems that is all that's available so there's really no point in fighting it...especially considering the hidef formats

for what its worth i still love my 19" 1280x1024 dearly...probably my favorite monitor ever

clocker
11-02-2008, 10:12 PM
If you're using the right ratio of resolution (example 1440*900 for my screen) the text appears exactly as it would with a "regular" monitor, except that more fits onto one line because of the extra width. ;)

You sure about that?
I can confirm/disprove that theory on Wednesday.

tesco
11-02-2008, 10:29 PM

You sure about that?
yes, it's just the way it works. :huh:

Here's a little bit of proof. If the text was being stretched by the monitor that would mean the images and everything else on the screen were being stretched as well, right? Well right now I'm watching a video in media player and the little round pause button at the bottom is a perfect circle.
If the screen was stretching anything this would be an oval not a circle:

If I set my resolution to 1280*1024 then everything is stretched. The button becomes an oval that is stretched from the sides. ;)

Anyway I realize it still takes some getting used to but believe me the advantages of the wide screen are worth taking a short time to get used to.

Detale
11-02-2008, 11:06 PM

You sure about that?

Ooooo I love when you do tests man.

@ Ross Dude I was just going to do that with the FST logo and text and going to ask Clocker without a resize to do the same, the comparison should speak for itself yes?

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1844/112200860346pmek3.png (http://imageshack.us)

clocker
11-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Actually, what I was questioning was that more text was displayed per line on a WS.

sleepyness
11-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Actually, what I was questioning was that more text was displayed per line on a WS.

And there should be, since there is more width to work with.

tesco
11-03-2008, 12:28 AM
well that's a simple one to prove, just resize your browser window and watch how the text moves around. The wider the window, the more text shows on one line.
It's the exact same as changing the screen resolution.:)

clocker
11-03-2008, 12:54 AM
OK, I give.

I still prefer standard aspect to widescreen though.
A standard ratio 24 or 28" would be tits.

sleepyness
11-03-2008, 01:11 AM
OK, I give.

I still prefer standard aspect to widescreen though.
A standard ratio 24 or 28" would be tits.

Really? Maybe use portrait mode..

clocker
11-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Not the same thing at all.

100%
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
@clocer can i also be a friend of your friend? :shifty:
just tell him a 20" will do fine.

clocker
11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Sure you can, he's a very personable guy.

Of the ten workstation/monitor combos that he bought, five are already sold (@$300 apiece) to a company he does IT support for. They have already been tested, the HDDs formatted and imaged and will be delivered today.

Two of the remaining five have bulging caps on the motherboards and are probably just junk- although they post and run. He'll scrap them for the COAs (XP Pro) and save the useful parts as spares for the five sold units. The other three- assuming they test out OK- can be bundled with a CRT and sold off for whatever they can get. The printers and scanners will just be scrapped- even if they work they're just a pain to deal with.

Only one monitor is still available and I'm thinking of making a play for it...don't really need another but what the hell.

Still want to be his friend?

100%
11-03-2008, 06:37 PM
How does he manage to get the office stuff? I always wondered what happens to that stuff.

by the way thanks for help with my 1rst pc - a friend came by and plugged in the extra hard drive and dvd player.

clocker
11-03-2008, 08:37 PM
How does he manage to get the office stuff? I always wondered what happens to that stuff.

Depending on the size of the company/office, it's usually auctioned off.
I'm sure there are vast warehouses of furniture and supplies awaiting disposition with more to come, no doubt.

Detale
11-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Dude make the play for the monitor. Something subtle like "so uh what are you planning on doing with that 20" left over huh?"

clocker
11-03-2008, 10:48 PM
It would be greedy (although admittedly kick ass looking).
I already have a 19" and a 17" sitting idle now.
Might hook up the 17" just to play around with a dual setup but I've already done that once and didn't find it useful.

Detale
11-03-2008, 11:43 PM
USEFULL! To hell with useful do it for the cool factor man. It's not greedy at all. Fuck that you should ask bro

Acid_death69
11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
you know if you were to drop a HDD chances are it would brake but what about is you dropped a SSD? seen as it doesnt have any disks in it will it be alright?

clocker
11-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Exactly.
That's why SSDs are being marketed primarily to laptop users/manufacturers right now- they need the shock resistance and are already conditioned to smaller capacity drives.
They also benefit from the lower heat output and power requirements.

Detale
11-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Any progress with it yet man?

clocker
11-05-2008, 03:10 AM
I pick up the SSD tomorrow night.

Detale
11-05-2008, 04:10 AM
oooo cant wait.

clocker
11-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Now I just have to decide how to set up the rest of my drives.

Snee
11-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Yesterday I picked up a LaCie 1TB external drive at Microcenter.
On sale for only $129.
It's actually quite stylish and silent in operation.
Internet rumor has it that they are either Samsung or Seagate SATA drives inside- I haven't opened it up to confirm (although you can bet I will soon!).
I just looked at the drive with Everest. It shows up as a Seagate TB SATA drive with 32MB cache. So basically, when you buy the LaCie you get a nice drive in a $10 enclosure...all in all, a very good deal I think.

I've got one of those (well, obviously can't be sure it's the exact same model, but a TB LaCie drive, anyhow). Mine's been working fine for the months I've had it, cept for the external psu giving up fairly early on, so I had to get a replacement.

I think it stopped working cos I dropped it, and not very far at that. Can't tell you if they are always like that, obviously, but you may wanna be careful with it, just in case.

Otherwise it's been ace, and stable enough, very reliable in fact. Only complaint I've had were some weird fan noises the other day.

EDit: as for SSDs, you may wanna look into what kind of wear levelling they've got, later ones are getting better and better. But early models allegedly had dodgy durability what with them having no wear levelling.

64 gig sounds like it's gotta be a bit more recent though, prolly does way more than 100k cycles.

clocker
11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I think I'm actually going to remove the drive from the housing and just use it internally.
It's too nice a drive to hobble with the USB interface.

Acid_death69
11-06-2008, 03:35 AM
what would the seek time be on a SSD?

clocker
11-06-2008, 03:59 AM
On this one, close to zip.
However, it is SATA1 and not the fast memory, so read/write is not great...somewhere in the 40-45MBs range- the fast ones are more than double that.

Detale
11-06-2008, 04:29 AM
I didn't realize it was an external. I thought it was internal. Open her up man! USB would choke it up IMHO.

clocker
11-06-2008, 02:50 PM
OK, a few pics and a bit of info.

First, a shot of the IBM monitor...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/IBM1.jpg

And another in more natural lighting- i.e. darkness...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/IBM2.jpg

Now, a bit of a comparison between drives.
First, the Intel RAID0 array that currently holds the OS...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/IntelRAID2.jpg

Next, a WD 500GB SATA2 in the external eSATA enclosure...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/WD500.jpg

Last, the Samsung SSD in the same external enclosure...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/SamSSD.jpg

Obviously, the RAID array is much faster than the other two options but note the difference in random access and CPU utilization between the array and the SSD.
Also note that, as is typical of SSDs (my old iRAM did the same thing), the performance does not decline as the you change position on the disk- mainly because there IS no disk.
Also notice that there is little difference between the "burst speed" and the "average read" with the SSD...basically, what you see is what you get- all the time.

I'm going to use the SSD as the OS/Program Files drive and then install the 500GB and 1TB drive (or maybe just one of them- depends on what case I decide to build into) as internal storage with the 4 x 250GB drives that currently comprise the array relegated to external storage.
Today I think I'll pick up one of those external drive docks (probably the Thermaltake from Microcenter) that allow for easy hot swapping to use for the 250's.

My assumption is that loading the OS on the SSD- which will probably take longer because of the read/write deficit- should result in much faster boot times and smooth and silent internet cruising (which is the bulk of my normal usage).

We'll see how it goes.

lynx
11-06-2008, 07:00 PM
I suspect J2 isn't going to like that monitor.

RE the SSD, I'm holding out for the high speed versions to be more reasonably priced. They price isn't dropping much yet, but the capacities are improving.

Acid_death69
11-07-2008, 12:51 AM
looks good fella, when are you gonna change the case then?

clocker
11-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Maybe tomorrow.
Maybe.

Already have Pro64 loaded on the SSD.
Just seeing what's what.

Going to do some big file transfers to see how much/if it's better than Vista was.

Detale
11-07-2008, 03:05 AM
Ok first off What's this
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9918/ibm1nl0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
and where can I get one!!!

Looks cool so far man, New case huh

That Antec Skeleton is out you know ;)
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-129-056-18.jpg

I myself am waiting for the speeds/sizes of SSD's to get better until I make the plunge.

Also I just found this on Myspace :woot:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5301/c854wantedpostered5.jpg
You Sweetie you

clocker
11-07-2008, 11:01 AM
The item you circled is a clock made from Nixie tubes out of a Russian submarine.
A guy up in Canada made a limited run a few years ago...they are all gone now, sorry.

Microcenter has the Skeleton on the shelf and I've examined it in person.
Can't decide what I think and the $180 price is too high to gamble on.

That pic was from my niece's wedding invitation.

Detale
11-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Do you have the name of the clock so I might find one on Ebay or something?

CHRONOTRONIX V400 NIXIE TUBE CLOCK (http://www.nixieclock.net/pd1148559262.htm?categoryId=0)
$415.00!!!!!

Acid_death69
11-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Do you have the name of the clock so I might find one on Ebay or something?

CHRONOTRONIX V400 NIXIE TUBE CLOCK (http://www.nixieclock.net/pd1148559262.htm?categoryId=0)
$415.00!!!!!
they do look pretty sweet but i dont think i would want to spend that amount of money on a clock.

clocker
11-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Mine wasn't nearly that much.

The guy who made mine found the tubes at a surplus auction.
He then designed the circuit and had the boards made professionally.

He was selling them as a kit- you soldered all the components onto the board- or, for $25 extra, he and his wife would assemble it for you.
I opted for the latter.

It was a fun project to be involved in (albeit only as a buyer) because he kept up a steady stream of commentary (most of it bitching) and we were updated regularly throughout the nine months it took to finish.
IIRC, he was in either Newfoundland or Nova Scotia...at any rate, someplace in the middle of nowhere.
I believe the cost was @ $150 (assembled and delivered) and it's worked flawlessly for the past 4 years or so.
I'm quite fond of it...it makes a nice counterpoint to my clocks.

Acid_death69
11-08-2008, 12:00 AM
$150 from $400+ is a big difference, you got a bargin there.

clocker
11-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Yeah well, to be fair those clocks display seconds (which I think I'd find distracting) and have a nicely finished enclosure for the electronics.
I couldn't tell, but they might even have an integrated power supply...mine has a brick and is exposed.
The simplicity of mine points up the "homemade" nature of the project.
He even called a few weeks after delivery to ask how it was doing.

Acid_death69
11-08-2008, 12:14 AM
hmm i prefer yours than the other one. i agree with you on have the seconds, given the size of the display it would be catching your eye.

Detale
11-08-2008, 04:41 AM
...it makes a nice counterpoint to my clocks.

Is this why you're Clocker?? I really like yours better than those I found. I'm going to keep looking I MUST have one now damnit!!

clocker
11-08-2008, 04:44 AM
I'm "clocker" because I used to build clocks.
From scratch.

lynx
11-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm "clocker" because I used to build clocks.
From scratch.
Judging by the "used to", I guess you've lost the itch.

clocker
11-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Last one was about six years ago.
The market for specialty clocks began to collapse...a precursor to today's financial apocalypse.

Detale
11-09-2008, 04:39 AM
Whats the going rate for a specialty clock? Do you have any pics of them or is it a personal thing?

Were they something like this?

http://www.1-800-4clocks.com/miva/graphics/full/22805-740352.jpg

clocker
11-09-2008, 05:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/clock2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/clock3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/clock4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/clock5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/PS1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/PS2.jpg

The first two shots show clocks that have finished construction but haven't been final polished. They are both remontoire mechanisms- a spring driven gear train rewinds a weight that drives the clock train. #1 has a duration of 1 month between winding and #2 runs for a year. #2 is actually the first clock I ever completed (lots of failures to start and I made life very difficult by attempting a long duration/high complexity mechanism to start with).

The third is a finished piece, most of the brasswork has been gold plated.
For reference, the large gear ("wheel", in the trade) is @8" diameter and has 360 teeth. The large dial displays seconds and the subdial shows hours/minutes. Displayed in front is the gold medal it won in competition.

#4 is my take on the classic "self-winding" electric clock. The original design was common in Post Offices and telegraph stations. I was so taken with the concept that I built my own with improved aesthetics.

#5 is probably the most technically advanced/difficult of this group. The clock acts as the bob of the pendulum and is not connected to the wall for impulse-it's hard to explain to a non-clock person but to the best of my knowledge it's completely unique. It is hanging in my brother's entry hall. The dial is 12" diameter beveled glass that I acid etched and backfilled.
It displays seconds/minutes and hours. The geartrain was cut from titanium to reduce inertia. It runs for two weeks between winding.

All told, I built 21 clocks. Most of them are in the hands of two collectors/patrons and by request, I am not free to share photographs of them. One collector desired clocks of aesthetic complexity- google "skeleton clock" to get an idea- the other was focused on precision. My final "precision regulator" for this person once achieved accuracy of better than 1 second/month over the course of 12 months.
Cost varied for each project but it's safe to say that each sold for $10k +.
This might seem like a lot but I was only completing one clock about every 8 months, so in fact, I starved most of the time.

The other problem- the one that finally caused me to stop- was that once I did the preliminary design work I could completely visualize the finished product in my head. This was followed by many months of boring/tedious labor just to bring to reality something I already knew would work. It got to the point where I just couldn't force myself to spend the time to produce work to my standard, so I quit while I was ahead.

And there you have it.

Detale
11-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Damn man Clocker's Bio. I love it! You freaking genius you. Those look fantastic man. Great work. Why not sell some of your designs? Is this something that's even done?

clocker
11-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Not really.
First of all, I never drew any blueprints or spec sheets...pretty much made it up as I went along.
Secondly, part of the "value" of the clock was it's uniqueness (is that a word?).
There were never duplicates, never will be.