PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson furore

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 12:14 AM
200 complaints because of a joke about truckers murdering prostitutes. Ofcom is getting involved yet again.

If we keep going at this rate there will be no presenters left on the beeb soon :unsure:

chalice
11-04-2008, 12:15 AM
No shite presenters, shirley.

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 12:16 AM
They're stealing all the funny ones. :angry:

chalice
11-04-2008, 12:18 AM
No, they're protecting us from the shite ones.

Dawkins bless censorship.

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Censorship sucks. It creates forbidden fruits. It's evil. :snooty:

I want to be able to decide what I find offensive, and choose to watch or not to watch the people involved again. I don't want some dimwitted bureaucratic organisation to make that choice for me.

chalice
11-04-2008, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say Clarkson is a fruit. He's just shite.

Racist.

JPaul
11-04-2008, 12:53 AM
200 complaints, he's probably a bit disappointed with that. Particularly for a first episode.

I like Clarkson, his books (collection of newspaper articles normally) amuse me.

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 08:02 AM
From the chairman of URTU:

"This is an unacceptable ... slur on the character of lorry drivers and the character of the industry, and it is grossly unfair. It's up to the BBC what action they take against Clarkson but we are certainly demanding an apology over these disgraceful comments."

Squeamous
11-04-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm with Skweeky. I don't watch anything with Clarkson in because he's a knob, thus am blissfully unaware of any offensive attention seeking comments he might make. Having said that, Viz did a character called 'Laurie Driver' who was always bundling up hitchhikers into carpets and bumping them off.

http://www.vizartwork.co.uk/ekmps/shops/vizartwork/images/november_shop_111.jpg

Barbarossa
11-04-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty sure this one will blow over

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
It looks like it. Funny that, considering the other programme only received two complaints before the press got wind of it.

edit: I also want to clarify, I actually quite like Clarkson and I think the whole thing is just a stupid as the previous incident. I would feel the same if it were that knob Tiff Needell though. Or the kid who does the Rice Crispies commercial at the moment.

chalice
11-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I reckon the only conceivable umbrage anyone could take (apart from the families of the victims of Stephen Wright) is that it was said before the watershed.

Storm in a teacup. You hear much worse on live talkback radio during the day on the BBC.

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah... but that kid from the Rice Crispies commercial really is annoying, isn't he?

chalice
11-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Dunno. Never seen it. My mind heads off into the middle distance when the adverts come on. I'm aware that they're there but my brain just doesn't process them.

True story.

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Complaints are up to nearly 600.

Thought this was rather amusing though:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif I think it's a sacking offence to make light of the murder of anybody, never mind prostitute women who are vulnerable and criminalised http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

Cari Mitchell
English Collective of Prostitutes

Loving the job title

chalice
11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
:lol:

All the prossies are gonna go out on strike until Clarkson is sacked.

He'll be assassinated before the week is out.

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 03:18 PM
It's almost Pratchett-like.

Something Else
11-04-2008, 04:36 PM
I was a trucker for three years. I killed hundereds of prozzies. Fact.

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I hope you didn't eat them, you being a veggie and all :snooty:

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 04:44 PM
It would be pretty freaky if that statement turns out to be true :fear:

Something Else
11-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I ate the vegetarian bits. :sneaky:

chalice
11-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Placenta is the only meat product vegetarians can eat with good conscience.

No animal died to produce it. True story.

Benjamin, you should fry up Skweeks' placenta and have it in a bap with chips. :smilie4:

Barbarossa
11-04-2008, 05:08 PM
It should be possible to extract bits of meat without killing the whole animal, like.

You could whip the legs off a chicken for example, while still keeping it alive. Same would be true for lambs, cows, even pigs maybe.

Do you think there would be a market for vegetarians to be able to eat meatstuff from animals that remained alive?

I might look into it. :sly:

chalice
11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Vegetarians should be allowed to eat other vegetarians.

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 05:15 PM

Benjamin, you should fry up Skweeks' placenta and have it in a bap with chips. :smilie4:

I'll keep it in the fridge for you but you have to come and pick it up.

chalice
11-04-2008, 05:29 PM
It should be possible to extract bits of meat without killing the whole animal, like.

You could whip the legs off a chicken for example, while still keeping it alive. Same would be true for lambs, cows, even pigs maybe.

Do you think there would be a market for vegetarians to be able to eat meatstuff from animals that remained alive?

I might look into it. :sly:

I was thinking about that too. It's actually pretty humane.

What if a cow had a nasty spill down some stairs and ended up with a gammy leg? You could amputate the leg and feed it to the veggies. You'd be doing the cow a favour and providing much needed protein to the poor veggies.

And what the fuck do chickens need wings for? The fuckers can't fly. It's just extra weight. The chickens wouldn't mind.

Barbarossa
11-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Exactly. You'd be basically doing them a favour, and they could still lay eggs and that.

Same with cows, hack off their legs, fit them with wheels or something, and roll them over for milking every morning. They'd actually be easier to control like that too.

I can't see any downside, I really can't.

Squeamous
11-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Don't be daft, you could eat an animal that died of old age. If you have a moral objection to eating meat it's not like the animal died to feed you. Not that I would. Apparently if you start eating meet again after a period of abstinence it does funny things to your guts :pinch:.

JPaul
11-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Clarkson unlikely to face sanction

Ofcom, the UK's broadcasting overseer, will take no action over complaints about a comment by Jeremy Clarkson about lorry drivers murdering prostitutes, according to a report.

Clarkson made the controversial remarks on a pre-recorded 'Top Gear' shown on Sunday night.

He said: "This (lorry driving) is a hard job and I'm not just saying that to win favour with lorry drivers, it's a hard job. "Change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

The Times newspapers claims that the remark, which has drawn over 500 complaints to the BBC, is unlikely to result in any official santion.

An Ofcom spokesman said: "We are looking at complaints we have received but are not currently investigating the programme."

The BBC is also unlikely to censure the broadcaster.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona.

"This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving, and was not intended to cause offence."

EDIT - http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/1104/clarksonj2.html

chalice
11-04-2008, 05:44 PM

Don't be daft, you could eat an animal that died of old age. If you have a moral objection to eating meat it's not like the animal died to feed you. Not that I would. Apparently if you start eating meet again after a period of abstinence it does funny things to your guts :pinch:.

Animals that die of old age usually have something wrong with them. Ask any cannibal. They can't stand the taste of cancer. It stinks.

I was a veggie for like 8 years. True story. Not cos I had any moral objection to eating meat. Just cos I took a disliking to flesh for some reason. Got pished one night and ate a cheeseburger. Fuck it was scrumptious. Haven't looked back since.

8 succulent years wasted. :no:

Squeamous
11-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Did you not have terrible digestion problems, or is that just a scare story to keep us on the straight and narrow? :fist:

chalice
11-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I honestly didn't notice any difference. I was just loving the fact that I was loving the taste of meat again.

I did put on about a stone within a month. But I really needed to do that so it was win as far as the eye can see.

Squeamous
11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
You didn't happen to stop taking amphetamine at the same time did you? :shifty:

chalice
11-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Nah, I was just a shite vegetarian. You're pretty much fucked if you don't like vegetables.

Practically lived on Linda McCartney faux mince pies and that Beanfeast muck.

Made the odd pasta bake but I was too weak to do that very often.

Squeamous
11-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah I found when I first made the leap I had no idea what to eat. I was an accomplished meat cook and I thought I just had to throw out all my recipes and start again with vegetables. The amount of times I cried over a congealed mess in the bin and then whacked on some cheese on toast.....
It got better after about 6 months of concerted effort though and now I'm pretty good with veggie food. The trick is to open up to ingredients and other world cuisines, rather than try to approximate what you were used to. Although the odd McCartney sausage toad in the hole or fake mince pastie is always nice :yup:.

chalice
11-04-2008, 06:23 PM
The missus wasn't too sympathetic to my vegetarianism either. She's be stuffing her gob with chicken and I'd be poking beans on toast around my plate.

Good old Linda, though. She couldn't sing for fuck but she kept me alive for years.

Something Else
11-04-2008, 06:26 PM

I'll keep it in the fridge for you but you have to come and pick it up.

If only I was more Japponese.

Something Else
11-04-2008, 06:27 PM
What sort of cawk of a Vegetarian doesn't eat meat because it involves animals being killed.

Something Else
11-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Good old Linda, though. She couldn't sing for fuck but she kept me alive for years.

rodi
11-04-2008, 08:23 PM
?????????

Agrajag
11-04-2008, 08:27 PM
?????????

I agree with the slow kid.

Agrajag
11-04-2008, 08:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE&feature=related

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 08:44 PM

Still makes me laugh!

Agrajag
11-04-2008, 08:48 PM
It's fucking ace.

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 08:50 PM
It's on tonight btw; BBC 4, 9PM.

Agrajag
11-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Football > *.*

Skweeky
11-04-2008, 08:52 PM
It'll be on iPlayer.

Biggles
11-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Are there people out there employed to be offended these days?

Agrajag
11-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Are there people out there employed to be offended these days?

The Telegraph was interesting when they juxtaposed Clarkson and Ross / Brand.

Agrajag
11-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Well, here’s a complaint of my own: we’re complaining far too much now. I won’t defend Clarkson’s line as a joke: it’s not very funny. But I don’t agree that it’s offensive in the way that Brand and Ross were. Brand and Ross humiliated a blameless man on national radio. They picked on somebody.

Clarkson did not. He made a flippant remark about a kind of person – nobody specific, just a stereotype, a caricature. It wasn’t subtle, it wasn’t clever, it wasn’t tasteful. But it wasn’t intended to hurt.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/11/04/do0405.xml

mohad
11-05-2008, 01:10 PM

Snee
11-05-2008, 01:20 PM
So, how's being a massive idiot working out for you?

As for the subject at hand, I, for one, took offense on behalf of all the people who kill prostitutes. Truckers are so very common.