PDA

View Full Version : Tips for seeding on Music trackers (small files)

m021478
11-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I've recently became a member of STMusic, Waffles & What.CD, and I would obviously like to improve my ratio to help the community, and so that I don't get booted...

The problem I am having, which is completely new for me and is quite different from most other private trackers I belong to in which 100MB+ & 1GB+ files show up constantly, is that the files that appear on the sites above are obviously quite small (because there music files), and by the time I notice them in the queue, there always winds up being like 5 seeders or more, and zero leechers? I would think that files with this kind of seeder/leecher ratio would be quite difficult to seed effectively??

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about dealing with this dilemma? Thanks!

alcoholik
11-04-2008, 05:17 PM
just upload torrents :)

RD22S
11-04-2008, 05:22 PM
STMusic -> 5 seeders, 0 leechers means nothing. It will pick up more leechers very fast. Usually u won't even notice because the files are so small and the tracker updates at 15 min intervals or more. Jump on torrents asap. use rss with a few categories and filter to your liking. For what, just sort on leechers or seeders and go from there. No idea about waffles as i don't have an account there

Night0wl
11-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Seed every single file you grab forever. Unless you are only into highly popular stuff, you will end up one of very few or even the only seeder on some torrents.

Another way is to find some interest in FLAC as the files are bigger, hence easier to get upload on.

m021478
11-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks to all for the great tips!

WhoopDeDoo
11-04-2008, 06:15 PM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2915/seedallmn9.jpg

Good luck, have fun.;)

Rigel9
11-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Seed as many files as you can forever. I seed about 500 albums and get roughly 500 MB upload per day.

b1oodyh3ll
11-05-2008, 02:21 AM
downlaod from a free tracking then up to the private one to get ratio up. make sure its a popular mp3'[s

niggytardust
11-05-2008, 02:31 AM
On What and Waffles the easiest way to buffer is by seeding the very popular apps because people download them from there. IE Adobe Creative Suite, the newest Vista release, etc. STM is a joke to seed at.

lysine
11-05-2008, 02:51 AM
the monthly vista release is always good for ratio. download from somewhere else, and seed non-stop on what and waffles for the next month. usually released around the 13/14th of each month.

m021478
11-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Seed as many files as you can forever. I seed about 500 albums and get roughly 500 MB upload per day.
I have what might be a total noob question for you regarding seeding +/-500 files at once (which I've never done before)...

Regarding uTorrent's "Number of Connections" preference settings:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/54787/Screenshots/number_of_connections.png

Would I want to change any of the settings above if I did plan to try seeding several hundred albums all at once?

integral
11-05-2008, 03:21 AM
I have what might be a total noob question for you regarding seeding +/-500 files at once (which I've never done before)...

Regarding uTorrent's "Number of Connections" preference settings:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/54787/Screenshots/number_of_connections.png

Would I want to change any of the settings above if I did plan to try seeding several hundred albums all at once?

Not necessarily, no; just because you're seeding 500 torrents on one server, doesn't mean a peer will be connected for each of them. You may want to increase your upload slots per torrent though, but otherwise those settings are fine.

m021478
11-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Any suggestions as to what I might want to consider changing my upload slots setting to?

Rigel9
11-05-2008, 05:22 PM
downlaod from a free tracking then up to the private one to get ratio up. make sure its a popular mp3'[s

Enjoy beeing warned for transcodes...

JackLand
11-06-2008, 11:49 PM

Good luck, have fun.;)

your hard drive still working!?! :P

TheGood
11-07-2008, 01:49 AM
upload what you can, seed forever, know how much you can dl before ratio reqs.

also don't waste your bandwidth on stmusic. it's not worth it. you've already got waffles and what.

Ac3Dunk
11-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Learn how to rip your own albums in flac format.
Get yourself an account on SCC or GFT and download every single MP3, 0day apps or apps and upload it to ur fav tracker or help to seed it.

lhnz
11-08-2008, 01:39 AM

Good luck, have fun.;)This guy is right, this is exactly what you need to do if you have a low upload speed < 50KB/s!

TheGood
11-08-2008, 01:51 AM
pic

Good luck, have fun.;)This guy is right, this is exactly what you need to do if you have a low upload speed < 50KB/s!

you should learn about the labels. makes things neaty for me.

/quoted wrong post.

FX2908
11-08-2008, 03:01 AM
Labels FTW! :)

And yes, just keep on seeding. But the best way to build a ratio is to upload your own torrents.

WhoopDeDoo
11-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Good luck, have fun.;)

your hard drive still working!?! :P

lol, yes, my hard drive is fine. As my signature says, I'm a music lover!:P

NfoGuru
11-08-2008, 10:09 AM
RSS DL the torrents in music sites is the best choise.

DJDaveX
11-08-2008, 11:29 AM
If there are albums that are only available in FLAC, grab it if you can and convert it to V0 and V2.

Uploading can never hurt your download count - just keep looking through your music collection ;)

crooked
11-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi.

I'm also seeding lots of music files. If you have 300+ torrents in your client, any torrent will get an leecher and then you can upload. Keep old and rare files in seed. Somebody could need it!

You will recognize that, after a short time, every torrent you're seeding has a ratio of < 1.0

athenaesword
11-08-2008, 01:26 PM
always preferred to have people rip themselves with log/cue so at least i know the quality's there..with other free sites they usually don't care about lossless/v0/v2 so long as the files are there, so grabbing from free sites may leave you with a bunch of low quality files that nobody wants.

clearly op doesn't have very many cds to rip and upload himself, so like the others have said, the best option's to just download, and seed everything. or you could wait for a fl, go crazy, and then seed that.

DJDaveX
11-08-2008, 01:39 PM
or you could wait for a fl, go crazy, and then seed that.

:rolleyes:

At OP, I'm not sure how recently you became a member of What & Waffles, but I'm assuming you missed out on their respective freeleeches around the end of October. Always go crazy downloading whatever you can during the freeleech, then seed forever and ever. I always max out my BW during freeleeches at What & Waffles. Downloading FLACs during freeleeches is always a good thing, because you'll be upping larger amounts than 320/V0/V2. If you happen to download an album which is available in FLAC but not 320/V0/V2, you can always convert it then up it.

Hope tihs helps :)

athenaesword
11-08-2008, 01:41 PM
or you could wait for a fl, go crazy, and then seed that.

At OP, I'm not sure how recently you became a member of What & Waffles, but I'm assuming you missed out on their respective freeleeches around the end of October. Always go crazy downloading whatever you can during the freeleech, then seed forever and ever. I always max out my BW during freeleeches at What & Waffles. Downloading FLACs during freeleeches is always a good thing, because you'll be upping larger amounts than 320/V0/V2. If you happen to download an album which is available in FLAC but not 320/V0/V2, you can always convert it then up it.

i'm tempted to cut down on the backups of albums that I don't favour all that much though. It was all fine and dandy when it just started, but when you start to push 300GB of music, it becomes abit silly to keep double copies of everything.

DJDaveX
11-08-2008, 02:08 PM

i'm tempted to cut down on the backups of albums that I don't favour all that much though. It was all fine and dandy when it just started, but when you start to push 300GB of music, it becomes abit silly to keep double copies of everything.

Oh yea, I understand. I just keep them till I felt I've seeded enough. :whistling

tX
11-08-2008, 02:43 PM
The best method is simply to seed every album you download
It shouldn't be much of a problem anyway, you download torrent, load it into your music directory along with the rest of your library, and it sits there until the drive dies.

You could try and upload scene rips, but at sites where most people prefer v0 if not FLAC, not very many people actually give a damn about scene rips. You'll might still get some upload, but unless it's a major album, you'll see very little snatches, if any at all

athenaesword
11-09-2008, 02:13 AM
The best method is simply to seed every album you download
It shouldn't be much of a problem anyway, you download torrent, load it into your music directory along with the rest of your library, and it sits there until the drive dies.

You could try and upload scene rips, but at sites where most people prefer v0 if not FLAC, not very many people actually give a damn about scene rips. You'll might still get some upload, but unless it's a major album, you'll see very little snatches, if any at all

lol some people (like me), like to keep my music organized, nicely renamed to artist - album - title, and all. you can't do that with the torrent you just downloaded cus it'll change the content, and then you can't seed it anymore.

so what I do, and most people I know do, is have a folder to store the torrents (I even have 2 folders, one for flac and one for mp3), and keep the properly named ones in another music folder. It pays to keep things organized when you have 10000+++ songs, cus it just makes it easier to find things in the long run.

PoorFook
11-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Pre-Seeding always helps, grab content from other trackers or HTTP.

cinephilia
11-21-2008, 11:46 AM
1. seed forever all the torrents that you grabbed

2. upload your own torrents from time to time. If you don't have discs to rip, there's tons of blogspots with albums (rs and mu link) that you won't find in stm/waffles/what. Don't forget to check bitrate before uploading.

3. when you grab a torrent on one of your tracker, you can check in the 2 others if the torrent already exist. If yes, you can seed it there.

4. sometimes, waffles & what set freeleech time so take the opportunity to grab new torrents to seed them as hell.
Keep in mind that the best way to get a max UL during freeleech is to get big packs at the beggining of freeleech and then, to seed them until the end (or more). Here is some packs that are often grabbed :

*Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - The Complete Mozart Edition
*Beethoven - Complete Beethoven Edition
*The Rosetta Stone Mega-Language Pack v1.3
*Pimsleur - All Languages
*Johann Sebastian Bach - Premium Edition
*Franz Schubert - The Collector's Edition etc...

5. People usually forget that minimum ratio is not 1:

what.cd: (DL) 0-5GB/none | 5-10GB/0.15 | 10-20GB/0.20 | 20-30GB/0.30 | 0.40 | 40-50GB/0.50 | 50GB+/0.60
waffles: (DL) 0-5 GB/none | 5-15GB/0.15 | 15-30GB/0.25 | 30-45GB/0.30 | 45-60GB/0.35 | 60-100GB/0.40 | 100-125GB/0.45 | 125GB+/0.50

So you can notice that minimum ratio is not so hard to maintain ;)

Rigel9
11-21-2008, 12:22 PM
2. upload your own torrents from time to time. If you don't have discs to rip, there's tons of blogspots with albums (rs and mu link) that you won't find in stm/waffles/what. Don't forget to check bitrate before uploading.

All in all very good tips, but I suggest to also do a spectral analysis before uploading, there are way too many transcodes flying aroung. (I once found a FLAC of a 128kbps mp3 :lol:)

cinephilia
11-21-2008, 01:15 PM
(I once found a FLAC of a 128kbps mp3 :lol:)
lol, really ? :O

piratebot
11-21-2008, 06:49 PM
(I once found a FLAC of a 128kbps mp3 :lol:)
is that hard to believe?

Dnurg
11-21-2008, 07:47 PM
is that hard to believe?

Yeah, it is. And it's a shame too. :(

WhoopDeDoo
11-21-2008, 07:50 PM
1. seed forever all the torrents that you grabbed

3. when you grab a torrent on one of your tracker, you can check in the 2 others if the torrent already exist. If yes, you can seed it there.

4. sometimes, waffles & what set freeleech time so take the opportunity to grab new torrents to seed them as hell.
Keep in mind that the best way to get a max UL during freeleech is to get big packs at the beggining of freeleech and then, to seed them until the end (or more). Here is some packs that are often grabbed :

*Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - The Complete Mozart Edition
*Beethoven - Complete Beethoven Edition
*The Rosetta Stone Mega-Language Pack v1.3
*Pimsleur - All Languages
*Johann Sebastian Bach - Premium Edition
*Franz Schubert - The Collector's Edition etc...

5. People usually forget that minimum ratio is not 1:

what.cd: (DL) 0-5GB/none | 5-10GB/0.15 | 10-20GB/0.20 | 20-30GB/0.30 | 0.40 | 40-50GB/0.50 | 50GB+/0.60
waffles: (DL) 0-5 GB/none | 5-15GB/0.15 | 15-30GB/0.25 | 30-45GB/0.30 | 45-60GB/0.35 | 60-100GB/0.40 | 100-125GB/0.45 | 125GB+/0.50

So you can notice that minimum ratio is not so hard to maintain ;)

Yes, but it's always better to have a higher ratio. If you seed everything you download forever you'll never be at a low ratio like that. If I didn't download the Rosetta Stone Mega Language Pack from Waffles for instance, my ratio would be over 2.0 there right now. People make it sound a lot harder then it really is to seed.