PDA

View Full Version : Moving to vista, wanting to bring Vuze with me

JGB
11-09-2008, 04:43 AM
I know I know, Vuze= FAIL
but utorrent was writing to my HD a ton, apparently Vuze is a little less abusive of my drive.

Basically my setup was C: drive as my main system, I added another drive, installed vista on that(V: ) but left vuze on C:

I started the installation that is in my C: drive expecting it to continue to use the same directories.
it didn't, instead it opened all new ones on my V: drive. Is there any way I can make it use the information contained in C: since that is where it is installed and where all my pref's/queue etc are.

If not is there any way to move my queue and seeding stuff over?

Thanks a ton:)

csonbot
11-09-2008, 05:16 PM
vuze = fail? vuze is working fine for me. it might seem a little bloated, but all you have to do is change the interface to 2.0 versions.

have you tried copying and pasting the torrent files over to the new appdata folder? i dont know if that'll work though. just a guess.

Tokeman
11-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Copy whatever config file vuze uses to the new installation of it. Re-open (or re-download if you cant find them) all your torrents, and point them to the location where they are saved.
Done and done

BTW I use vista and utorrent, and I notice very little if any 'hard drive thrashing' going on through the resource monitor. Maybe its something you misconfigured in the client or windows...

RedRansom
11-09-2008, 05:35 PM
At your old OS go to "C:\Documents and Settings\user(your PC's name)\Application Data" find Vuze app data folder and copy it(back up) to new there(probably new there in V(windows))
You need to do it before format your old OS.

JGB
11-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Sorry, I was using XP on my C: drive, not vista.
I'm upgrading to vista.

Cabalo
11-09-2008, 06:14 PM
vuze rocks at any given OS.
just configure its cache options correctly, accordingly to how much ram you have, and you won't even notice it running or accessing disks.

the best BT client around, none matches its huge selection of options and plugins, and functionality .

joni22
11-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Vuze is really rocks.

Unstable1
11-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Vuze=fail? Nonsense.

JGB
11-10-2008, 01:03 AM
EDIT: nevermind, found it.
I wish there was an easier way to migrate instead of doing it all by hand.

sheriff 01
11-10-2008, 01:11 AM
just configure its cache options correctly, accordingly to how much ram you have, and you won't even notice it running or accessing disks.

the best BT client around, none matches its huge selection of options and plugins, and functionality .

i agree 100%. Everbody i say this to tells me i am on crack and why haven't i switched to utorrent yet. I try to explain there is many more detailed options available and then they tell me its bullshit.

JGB
11-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Also, I wish that Azureus would stay in its own damn drive, I had all of the files it needed in my C: drive, I wanted it to keep everything there, I don't know why it felt obliged to move to my operating system drive?

sheriff 01
11-10-2008, 01:16 AM
strange i have never had the problem occur for me.

Cabalo
11-10-2008, 05:42 AM

i agree 100%. Everbody i say this to tells me i am on crack and why haven't i switched to utorrent yet. I try to explain there is many more detailed options available and then they tell me its bullshit.
Yes, i converted to Azureus/Vuze some months ago and i'm not coming back to utorrent. It's a whole different level with Vuze, you feel like you have control of all that is going on with your machine.

Funkin'
11-10-2008, 06:10 AM
just configure its cache options correctly, accordingly to how much ram you have

See, now when I started using torrents over two years ago, Azureus was the first client I tried. And it always bogged down my system. At the time I was XP. Browsing apps and other windows in XP was slow while Azureus was running, and browsing the internet. At the time I only had 256MB of ram though.

Once I found out about uTorrent I switched(I'm no longer using uTorrent though, switched to Transmission a couple months ago). Now I use Linux, and I'm on 512MB of ram. So would a sluggish OS and browsing still be a problem if I used Vuse now? I always favored Azureus because of its interface and options. But knew I couldn't use it.

Cabalo
11-10-2008, 06:41 AM
the trick in azureus are the advanced options.
if you configure the read/write caches accordingly, thus removing some RAM usage, you can use your PC for harder multitasking.
If you prefer have faster disk accesses sacrificing RAM, then just increase the footprint for the buffer.
It's a matter of tweaking, and finding your balance. That's the beauty of Azureus, and all it's immense tweaking and options. It's like linux, it's fully customizable to your needs.

In my case, i've a dedicated PC at home running Vuze for DL'ing, but it has 2GB ram, 2 TB HDD and a celeron Dual Core overclocked to 3Ghz, so i don't ever see it using more than 2% to 4% CPU.
before that, it ran on an old Duron @ 1200mhz with 384mb RAM and it took around 15% CPU. So i suppose it's way better optimized than it used to be some months/years ago.

Funkin'
11-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Wow, well taking 15% at 384mb ram I don't think is that bad. I don't remember what Azureus was using when I had 256mb of ram, but it was a lot, i know that.

I think I"ll give it another shot and play with the settings. Hopefully I can get it to work with barely using any resources. If not, I'm going to be upgrading to 1GB of Ram soon. So once I do that I'm sure I'll be ok to move back to Azureus.

Thanks for the info.

clos
11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
vuze is so fail...

Cabalo
11-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Wow, well taking 15% at 384mb ram I don't think is that bad. I don't remember what Azureus was using when I had 256mb of ram, but it was a lot, i know that.

I think I"ll give it another shot and play with the settings. Hopefully I can get it to work with barely using any resources. If not, I'm going to be upgrading to 1GB of Ram soon. So once I do that I'm sure I'll be ok to move back to Azureus.

Thanks for the info.
well, running torrents and doing multitasking, i will always recommend AT LEAST 1 Gb. Besides, RAM is so so so cheap nowadays, that it's worthy going straight for the 2Gb.

vuze is so fail...
Finally a noob showed up on this thread. thank you for you insights.

Tokeman
11-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Wow, utorrent is only using 8mb of ram on my machine, and very little disk activity as I stated before, lol.
Vuze looks bloated to all hell judging by the screen shots. Looks more like a p2p app now, like kazaa with more crap put in.
Thanks, but no thanks.