PDA

View Full Version : Getting A Little Wifi

justin89
09-08-2003, 12:09 AM
Ok, I have dial-up where I live, and we can't get any kind of high-speed connection(cable,dsl,Adsl, ect.)..Probably could get satellite, but that's not as efficiant and costs like 100 bucks a month. So my question it, if I get a wifi card for my comp, and just happen to drive past a house where somone with a wifi network and pick it up. Will I be charged, or will I be sharing his connection. I have aol, and if I select another connection to sign on with, It charges me. So I'm guessing I could IE, but will it cost anything?

mogadishu
09-08-2003, 08:38 AM
no... it wouldnt cost you a thing.. but not all wireless networks are accesible. find out if there are any 'hotspots' in your city or town that offer free wireless internet.

sparsely
09-08-2003, 09:18 AM
If broadband is unavailable in your area, where are you planning to tap into a wireless broadband network?
Hopefully, if they've got a wireless network, they've either got a domain, or mac filtering, or other security means
in place to prevent outside access to their LAN.

MUSLEMAN
09-08-2003, 10:41 AM
almost off topic but have you tweaked the settings yet??

lynx
09-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by justin89@8 September 2003 - 01:09
Will I be charged ... ?
If you are caught, you will almost certainly be charged - by the police. It is classed as theft (of electricity), people have been jailed for this offence.

justin89
09-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Damn that sucks. I got another plan. I'll bring my laptop to school, and plug it into the T1, and just let KaZaA run all day.