PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Im Thick But...

sickmonkey
09-08-2003, 10:07 AM
How do i check to see if im behind any firewall? And what do i do to change it(what port number) I used to get good speeds on kazaa but on bittorrent i get about 5 k download and 11 upload? Thanks.

sickmonkey
09-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Also there is options in shadows version that allow you to change ip and the range of ips,could anyone please tell me the best options as i dont want to mess anything up.Please help,my speeds are way too slow :(

callum
09-08-2003, 11:32 AM
You can go here https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2, to check if you have a firewall and how well it is working.
If you don't know wether or not you have one it is most likley that you don't. It might be a good idea to read the pinned topic on firewalls and anti-virus.
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=56265

ck-uk
09-08-2003, 11:56 AM
What os are u using?...u miay have windows xp built-in firewall activated.If so i'd deactivate it,i tried it before and it did slow my connect right down.

Connection properties >advanced.

sickmonkey
09-08-2003, 12:15 PM
I use xp,i looked in- internet options-connection. And it says nothing about a firewall? I cant find anything about a firewall? Could someone please tell me the proper way to find out.

ck-uk
09-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Click the start menu button at the bottom left of your desktop,then enter control panel>network connections and right click your connection >properties>advanced tab far right.

OR right click the connection icon in the system tray(bottom right desktop) then status>properties>advance tab far right

sickmonkey
09-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Thanks,it appears i dont have a firewall.So shall i just leave the settings as they are on my shadows b/torrent thingy?

ck-uk
09-08-2003, 03:44 PM
A firewall prob shouldnt really decrease your speed anyway mate,if anything it'll block your connection full stop.If u cant solve the prob just give a different bt client like experimental or the official 3.2.1 a go.

sickmonkey
09-08-2003, 04:03 PM
So as i have my xp firewall disabled,is my computer at risk? I mean,is it important for me to get a firewall? I have norton a/v 2003 for virus scans etc,but i have no firewall.

sickmonkey
09-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Nevermind,ive enabled xp firewall and went back on the test site,now everythings cushty,thanks for ya help,oh and my speeds are increasing SLOWLY but surely! ;)

ck-uk
09-08-2003, 04:28 PM
I'm glad u kind of got it sorted.But if u do want to use a firewall (recommended)i'd recommend not usin xp's its a waste of time..u could tri sygate.