PDA

View Full Version : Am I facing possible lawsuit for my website?

Yinon
11-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Hello! I need your help.
I've developed a website containing links I collected from many places for downloading widely known language courses. Those courses are very expensive and acclaimed. The links on my website are for Rapidshare, The Pirate Bay, and Isohunt. Those links appear everywhere on the web, but this is the first time they're organized under one website. My question is, how likely is it that I'll get sued for my website? Did I even brake the law? I'll add that I live in a far Asian state.

Frolsa84
11-16-2008, 11:55 AM
1. You didn't specify the country you live in
2. Of course you broke the law
3. I think Asian countries are more lenient towards piracy
4. You are unlikely to get prosecuted
5. I know 2 guys (young, not even in their mid 20's) that had this "thing" you speak of going on for 5 years, however they do not live "in a far Asian state"

Yinon
11-16-2008, 01:18 PM
3. I think Asian countries are more lenient towards piracy
5. I know 2 guys (young, not even in their mid 20's) that had this "thing" you speak of going on for 5 years, however they do not live "in a far Asian state"

I feel better not to mention my country. However, There have never been any lawsuits regarding copyright in my country before. Anyway, how is providing links braking the law?
Is there some way to link to a third party website that links to the downloads byitself, and by that making me proof against legal actions?
thanks for your help :happy:

Frolsa84
11-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, trackers "only" provide links to torrents. You're looking for some loophole, but laws vary from country to country and I'm afraid I can't help you with that. If there were no lawsuits (similar to my country - only a few) you should be fine. Authorities usually go after people that try to distribute hard copies.

Peanut
11-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Using the internet is a daily RISK
-For some PEOPLE
BLAH

sheriff 01
11-21-2008, 04:19 PM
-For some PEOPLE
BLAH

I am truly glad that it is not a risk for me!:)

colombianino
11-21-2008, 06:59 PM
-For some PEOPLE
BLAH

I am truly glad that it is not a risk for me!:)

yep, never use the inenet without proxies :pinch:.

that didn't sound right.....

but yea Frolsa84 is right, anti-piracy companies only go after you if you're billionare and making more billions from piracy, that way they get a big piece of the pie. :naughty:

egejo
11-24-2008, 04:17 AM
Well most commonly you will first got a notice from any company claiming to be under this site and had copyrights...so till you don't get any notice of this don't worry...this is the way they work..

Skiz
11-24-2008, 04:53 AM

Why are you asking what country he/she lives in if you're already certain he/she has broken the law? :dabs:

@Yinon - I suggest you read up on 3rd party liability and how it pertains to your countries laws.

kareemamir
11-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Under UK law, linking to another site is NOT illegal.

Take this case of TV Links. Nothing happened to the guy.

Skiz
11-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Under UK law, linking to another site is NOT illegal.

Take this case of TV Links. Nothing happened to the guy.

Many times the situation doesn't revolve around what is legal and what is not. You can sue someone for anything. The burden rests on the defendant to cover his/her/their legal costs to prove their innocence. Yinon may not be willing or even able to defend himself should a lawsuit arise.

net.Gh0st
11-26-2008, 09:33 AM
You should be fine.

All things considered , you're not in a European affiliated country [north america included] and you're [no offense] a small fish in comparison to others like PB and the like.

I wouldnt' worry
all the best