PDA

View Full Version : Question about Windows Vista

tralalala
11-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey all..

Got my new PC the other day and installed Vista 32Bit on it, only to figure out it doesn't use the 4GB of RAM I bought, only 3 of them.. Was wondering if it's worth upgrading to 64Bit, and if so, which games would most likely not work on 64Bit?

On top of that, is it possible to simple upgrade the 32Bit to 64Bit, or do I have to reformat the OS drive and start from completely scratch again?

Detale
11-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Congrats on the new rig man. You will need to reformat homie, Some people say 64 is better performance wise, but IMHO I don't see that much of a difference and I tend to have driver issues with X64 but that's just me.

tralalala
11-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Seems a shame, since I bought 4GB of RAM which windows can only use 3GB of.. :dabs: Will see about it later on, drivers and co.-wise.

Detale
11-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Well it uses over 3 gigs like 3 1/4 I think. Look at it like this soon, if all goes well with the release, you could upgrade to Windows 7 I think that 32 bit uses more than 4.

clocker
11-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Well it uses over 3 gigs like 3 1/4 I think. Look at it like this soon, if all goes well with the release, you could upgrade to Windows 7 I think that 32 bit uses more than 4.
Wrong.
The limit on addressed memory (max amount "recognized") is a function of the 32-bit architecture, not the specific OS.

I'm wondering why they would even make a 32-bit version of Windows7.

Chewie
11-18-2008, 05:56 AM
I've had no driver issues with Vista64 on my desktop.

FX2908
11-18-2008, 07:44 AM
I've had no driver issues with Vista64 on my desktop.

X2. And yes, you'll have to format to install a x64 O.S.

Snee
11-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Wrong.
The limit on addressed memory (max amount "recognized") is a function of the 32-bit architecture, not the specific OS.

I'm wondering why they would even make a 32-bit version of Windows7.

Could be there'll be new netbooks with 32bit architecture.

Microsoft seem willing to jump through a lot of hoops just to make sure people don't end up using any pesky alternatives. Wouldn't want a whole generation end up using linux, or something.

They are already selling oem licenses of vista and xp at low low prices, with current netbooks.

dsa16
11-19-2008, 08:09 PM
I have a HP Pavilion laptop with Windows Vista 64-bit. As far as the gaming aspect, it's a pain getting older games to work. This site is really helpful http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/

colombianino
11-20-2008, 04:12 AM
my opinion, don't get vista unless you want errors, on labtops is a pain, on desktops it should be fine but you'll likely run into an error one day.

db_la_23
11-20-2008, 10:08 AM
use windows Xp w Sp3.

Chewie
11-21-2008, 07:04 PM
my opinion, don't get vista unless you want errors, on labtops is a pain, on desktops it should be fine but you'll likely run into an error one day.You'll likely run into an error with any version of Windows.

use windows Xp w Sp3.
Thank you for such an erudite post.

clocker
11-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Hey all..

Got my new PC the other day and installed Vista 32Bit on it, only to figure out it doesn't use the 4GB of RAM I bought, only 3 of them.. Was wondering if it's worth upgrading to 64Bit...
If you have "access" to a 64 bit version then sure, why not?

On top of that, is it possible to simple upgrade the 32Bit to 64Bit, or do I have to reformat the OS drive and start from completely scratch again?

Reformat.
Since the PC is brand new it shouldn't be that big a deal.

peat moss
11-22-2008, 04:43 PM
One day someone will explain to me the advantage of using a 64 bit O/S . I have the hardware , 4 gig of memory and the patience to tinker .

Just never saw a difference from 32 bit .

tralalala
11-23-2008, 12:39 PM
I will only need to reformat the drive I'm installing to right? I have 2HDD's. One with the OS and programs I've already installed, and one with literally everything else on it.. How much of a hassle is it to install the 64Bit version?

clocker
11-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Yes, only the OS-resident drive need be formatted.
You won't see ANY difference installing the 64bit version...it installs/looks identical to it's bit-challenged brother.

tralalala
11-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Well that was a fucking waste of time.. The USB Wi-Fi adapter I have doesn't work on 64Bit Vista.. In fact I was told by tech-support that I'm lucky it even worked on the 32Bit version.. The LAN card isn't working wither (even after downloading the most updated driver from the internet on the laptop which says it works on 64Bit), so, basically, my main thoughts after installing the 64Bit version of Vista is - Stay away and use the 32Bit as long as you can.. Too many issues :dabs:

clocker
11-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Did you ask "tech support" why it is they haven't managed to get their hardware to work with a mainstream OS yet?

Vash999
11-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Probably because like a lot of hardware makers, at least the smaller ones, they decided it wasn't worth the time/effort to support Vista, much less it's even less common 64-bit cousin. The same thing happened once manufactures realized windows ME wasn't going to take off either. And much like ME, Vista has a more popular previous version (98se/XP), and a much more promising replacement (XP/7)

Not saying it's right, cause it's not, but that's how it tends to work. It's also the same reason you don't see a lot of Manufacturer released linux drivers