PDA

View Full Version : Dupe accounts

pone44
11-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Lately, i have seen a lot of members requesting invites to sites they were/are a member of.
How can they really know if the member they are considering inviting does not have a FST account registered under another alias?

I only have 1 account on FST! I have no need for more than 1 account here or on any site!

If anyone is going to do a giveaway-check members post history-get profile links.

slymester
11-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Some just want the rep ;)

alcoholik
11-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Some just want the rep ;)

yes

pone44
11-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Also members making requests with only 10 posts here. Thought you needed 20 or more posts and a member for thirty days to access the BT invite section?

integral
11-19-2008, 08:19 PM
I think reqs changed.

Concerning inviting people from FST, you have to be really careful, if you consider your invites valuable. It's really easy for a cheater/trader to have duplicate accounts.

pone44
11-19-2008, 08:48 PM
I can definitely see that.

PirateEagle
11-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Alot sign up for dupe accounts so they can get accounts from the traders...They then signup for another account which is an "anti-trader" account and get accounts from the Anti-Traders as well.Its how they beat the odds they get accounts from both parties.

pone44
11-19-2008, 08:57 PM
That is foul! Anyone doing that should have there 2nd account taken away or something.? :angry:

Alot sign up for dupe accounts so they can get accounts from the traders...They then signup for another account which is an "anti-trader" account and get accounts from the Anti-Traders as well.Its how they beat the odds they get accounts from both parties.

IdolEyes787
11-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Some people have several FST accounts.Personally I've never understood why it been allowed.
Hopefully some staff member will enlighten me.

nbo
11-19-2008, 09:16 PM
the requirement changed a while ago, you used to need a star and be on for 30 days but that was back in the day for the invite trade section, before they added the giveaway and request section, today you just need to be a member for 30 days, its fine cuz
usually members who request something and have 3 posts wont get in anyway.

about the dup accounts, there is really no way of knowing if the memeber doesnt make any mistakes that give it away

ghurka
11-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Some people have several FST accounts.Personally I've never understood why it been allowed.
Hopefully some staff member will enlighten me.Something that I've never understood either. I know there are older members here who frequent the lounge that have dupe accounts but they don't misuse them. Most of those who create dupe accounts and post in the BT section will be doing it to gain an advantage in some way.

I know that when they choose to, the staff here will look out for certain banned users who try to create dupe accounts and usually catch them. The problem seems to be that if you're not banned there's nothing in the rules here to stop you creating a dupe account....should be though!

pone44
11-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Check the giveaway section, that could be just one account.Not even posting about the trade section-some of those are the members requesting invites in the giveaway section under a different nick. Wow!

Cabalo
11-20-2008, 01:10 AM
well, it's a long job looking for dupe IPs, trust me.
no need for special scripts as it comes built in vB since install, but yet doing a check on some members that look shady could reveal interesting results.

IMO, both accounts should be deleted in case they were found, but that's not what it happens, one of them stays.
I understand that probably the member would create another 3rd one, and it's an extra hassle. I think they should disable the most "popular" account of the ones.

or maybe make the criteria to access those sections a bit tougher to reach. when i registered it was like 30 posts or so + a month. I think it was pretty fair, one post per day.
now, i've no idea how it works.

pone44
11-20-2008, 01:13 AM
That is how it was when i first came here. 1 post per day in the giveaway section, i thought? That rule is gone now.?

well, it's a long job looking for dupe IPs, trust me.
no need for special scripts as it comes built in vB since install, but yet doing a check on some members that look shady could reveal interesting results.

IMO, both accounts should be deleted in case they were found, but that's not what it happens, one of them stays.
I understand that probably the member would create another 3rd one, and it's an extra hassle. I think they should disable the most "popular" account of the ones.

or maybe make the criteria to access those sections a bit tougher to reach. when i registered it was like 30 posts or so + a month. I think it was pretty fair, one post per day.
now, i've no idea how it works.

WhoopDeDoo
11-20-2008, 04:31 AM
Anyone with a dupe account should have their IP banned. Period. I've belonged to a lot of strict communities before and they've never had a problem simply because they banned idiots who do that type of thing.

soulreaper
11-20-2008, 05:34 AM
Hopefully some staff member will enlighten me.

I think it's more a technology thing as opposed to staff being negligent.

Detale
11-20-2008, 06:14 AM
Having more than one acct is infact allowed, I myself don't exactly understand it, none the less it is the rule here. More specifically only 1 acct you may have is allowed to access the Bt section. If we find users like this we will disable all but one of their accts. If you guys think this is somethingthat should be changed start a poll about it and get the upper level staff's attention and maybe something can be done.

redMonster
11-20-2008, 08:06 AM
I agree about allowing dupe accounts. This is an open forum and not a private tracker with stiff rules about dupe accounts.

IdolEyes787
11-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Fine to say that but can you give a single legitimate reason why a second account would be necessary?

I'm not saying go on a banning spree.Just prune the dupes for the sake of integrity.

Cabalo
11-20-2008, 04:56 PM
another one that i already discussed privately with the staff is the nick changing policy.
i can understand that sometimes people want to change their nick, but a problem arises when you have BT reps around here.
theoretically they are bound to that specific user, with that nickname etc etc.

what is happening is that some change nick (to keep their postcount), hide their BT rep past, and voila, here they are fresh as new to start over, but with enough post count so that in giveaway they aren't considered newbs.

in all my honesty, i think that changing the current policies towards dupe accounts, possibility of hiding the bt rep and nick changing would solve a lot of the lack of trust that is in order here.

i can open three separate polls to see what the members think, but first i would like to ask the staff if i should/could do it, and then further discuss it there.

sheriff 01
11-20-2008, 05:30 PM
another one that i already discussed privately with the staff is the nick changing policy.
i can understand that sometimes people want to change their nick, but a problem arises when you have BT reps around here.

what is happening is that some change nick (to keep their postcount), hide their BT rep past, and voila, here they are fresh as new to start over, but with enough post count so that in giveaway they aren't considered newbs.

in all my honesty, i think that changing the current policies towards dupe accounts, possibility of hiding the bt rep and nick changing would solve a lot of the lack of trust that is in order here.

i can open three separate polls to see what the members think, but first i would like to ask the staff if i should/could do it, and then further discuss it there.

waiting in anticipation for those polls!:yup:

pone44
11-20-2008, 08:07 PM
I am against both(change nick and 2 accounts)if there was a poll.

Did not know you can change site nick also.

I think staff here and verified BT staff should have those options ONLY!

Detale- if i am going to far with this, please let me know?

It would be more friendly-honest that way, i think.?

PirateEagle
11-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Seriously if they have any type of cleanup script in place it would be quite easy to have the system automatically clear the dupe accounts itself. They wouldnt even need anyone to manually check them.I dont think it matters much if people have dupe accounts here anyways. If they are using a dupe nick to fool you and trick you into doing stuff they can and already do it on a single nick anyways im sure... and get away with it.Are there any measures put in place to acctually stop users from having 2 accounts with access to the bt section? I have yet to see anyone complain about not having access to the bt section on the account. If you have access to limit certain forums like that then thats pretty cool. ;)

ukgenius
11-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I think it is terrible that some people have 2 accounts. I don't mean to be stupid, but isn't there a way that the IP address can be banned?

And about changing nicknames, I think it is ok but only in certain situations. For example I changed my nickname because it was the same as the nicknames I had on some trackers!

anoneemuse
11-20-2008, 08:47 PM
if you take away the trade section , why worry about dupe accounts :dabs:

thats your answer

IdolEyes787
11-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Call me crazy but I like to have a clear idea who I'm talking to.

Detale
11-20-2008, 09:00 PM
I am against both(change nick and 2 accounts)if there was a poll.

Did not know you can change site nick also.

I think staff here and verified BT staff should have those options ONLY!

Detale- if i am going to far with this, please let me know?

It would be more friendly-honest that way, i think.?

Too far?? With what? Speak your minds this is your forum as much as mine. As far a the nick change thing though sure the nick changes but the posts remain exactly the same so if you check the persons post history you can see that it is the same person with a new nick.

if you take away the trade section , why worry about dupe accounts :dabs:

thats your answer

Wow helpful and on topic, thanks for the meaningful and helpful post:frusty:

integral
11-20-2008, 09:09 PM
I think if you don't participate in invite giveaways/trading on this forum, then dupe accounts shouldn't affect you. I don't think staff are exactly aggressive against dupe accounts, but if it's mentioned in a thread I'm sure they investigate it.

Catching dupe accounts isn't so black and white either. Most people are competent enough to know how to use proxies, so it's harder to detect and prove duplicate accounts.

I think the policy of two dupe accounts both accessing the invite/trade forum being disallowed is plenty enough. If you're one of the people who participates in trading/invite giveaways, then you should already be skeptical, so just consider this another reason to be skeptical. :)

anoneemuse
11-20-2008, 09:13 PM

http://www.almostsmart.com/upload/files/2004/Jan/asl1_001.jpg

Detale
11-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Another helpful one eh. Easy on the spam buddy, Thanks

sheriff 01
11-21-2008, 03:52 PM

http://www.almostsmart.com/upload/files/2004/Jan/asl1_001.jpg

Isn't that the truth! :lol: