PDA

View Full Version : XP "Randomly" Freezes

mbucari1
11-21-2008, 06:29 AM
Hello, I'm having a persisting problem with XP freezing almost randomly. It still accepts mouse input though. I have resinstalled windows 3 times and the problem still exists. I haven't made any hardware changes or software changes since my machine was working (a few weeks ago).

The Reason I say almost randomly is that there's 1 thing that almost always causes a freeze. Running Process Monitor, clicking apply in the filter form. It also froze while performing a search in notepad++ and running the installer for winrar. Those are just the specific instances I can remember, it has done it many more times than that. I'm also experiencing intolerable game lag with the same settings I've always used.

Any Ideas?

backlash
11-21-2008, 12:54 PM
have you tried running any tests, such as mem tests? Possibly bad memory?

mbucari1
11-21-2008, 01:59 PM
no, thanks for the tip. Will do.

colombianino
11-21-2008, 06:26 PM
i also remember that mine use to do this (my old one). the problem ended up being the hard drive which was around its time, after we got a new one it wouldn't recognize the old one. (wouldn't show up in explorer). we also changed mobo first but that wasn't what was making it freeze.

try also an hdd check, or check you mobo.

other thoughts: have you checked inside to see if maybe something's loose or maybe broken?

mbucari1
11-22-2008, 01:30 PM
ok, my hdd passed memtest86 and my hdd passed seatools' tests. But my processor is idling at 81C!! Could that be it? My cpu always ran hot, but I don't remember it ever running this hot. It's an e6600 at stock speeds with stock cooling.

clocker
11-22-2008, 02:59 PM
my processor is idling at 81C!! Could that be it?
Yes, it most certainly could.
First of all, how are you getting the CPU temp?

Secondly, assuming that temp is accurate- or even close to accurate- you need to find out why it's so high.
Typically, dust buildup in the heatsink would be the culprit but given the incredibly shitty Intel heatsink retention system, it's certainly possible that the sink isn't even fully fastened down.
I'd check this out ASAP.

mbucari1
11-22-2008, 08:51 PM
I bought and installed a zelman cooler and now my system idles around 38c. However, the problem still exists. It isn't a normal freeze though. Programs in the background continue to function normaly, but my mouse and keyboard don't work properly. I can move the mouse, but can't click. ctrl+alt+del brings up the task manager, but it takes a while and once it's up I can't control it with the keyboard. In games, it seems like input is delayed more than regular game lag. I'll press the crouch button and a second later I'll crouch. Camera movement is delayed as well.

Maybe my usb is bad?

clocker
11-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Then you might begin to suspect the motherboard itself.
If the keyboard is USB, try using a USB to PS2 adaptor and see if the keyboard at least works properly.
If they are both USB, try moving the plugs to different ports.

mbucari1
11-23-2008, 02:23 AM
OK, I tried the usb to ps2 adapter and sill having the same problems. I also tried different usb ports with the same result.

I decided to run memtest86 again for a lot longer this time and here's what it yielded. Could this be the cause?

EDIT** Some more info which might point to my mobo. For months half my processor would be cohnsumed by Hardware Interrupts. I finally narrowed down the cause to one of my hard drives. I switched the sata port and that fixed that problem. I can't be sure, but my current trouble MIGHT have started when I switched the sata ports.

mbucari1
11-23-2008, 11:41 PM
OK, I got my hands on a clean stick of ddr2 and I'm still having the same problems. I'm thinking mobo, but could it also be the processor?

lynx
11-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Well, it really depends on what processor you've got.

If it is an Intel processor, then the memory controller is on the motherboard so the problem is unlikely to be the processor.

If it is one of the earlier AMD processors then the above applies.

If it is a later AMD processor (Athlon 64 or later) then the memory controller is in the processor chip. In that case the problem could be with either the processor or the motherboard.

Is there any overclocking involved? If so, reverting to standard settings might be an idea to try to eliminate that as a possibility.

mbucari1
11-24-2008, 03:31 AM
It's an d6600 at stock speed. So from what you wrote, it's got to be the motherboard?

clocker
11-24-2008, 03:36 AM
The Magic Eight Ball says: "Chances are good".

mbucari1
11-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Got a new mobo and STILL have the same problem

mbucari1
11-27-2008, 08:14 AM
OK, fixed it. I was installing Xp on a partition and the partition must have been corrupt. Formatted the entire disk and no more problems. I'm out $60 for a new mobo, but it overclocks better so I'm not too upset.

mbucari1
11-27-2008, 07:08 PM
OK, nevermind. Same problems as before. Ruled out the mobo, memory and hdd. All that remains is my cpu.

Clocker, would you agree that the cpu is the culprit?

peat moss
11-28-2008, 02:21 AM
I always get pissed off after reading these kind of posts , and the money that people pay out to self diagnose the problem .

That's not a slag against you mbucaril but find a good white box store in your neighborhood that would test for you . I'v made the same mistake on my own buying a new Psu , memory to find its the mobo .

Most would charge maybe 20-30 bucks to tell you . Hey you can still hold your head up high when you say thanks, I'll install it myself or if you buy there won't charge for the labour. :)

mbucari1
11-28-2008, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the advice peat, I think I'm gonna take a trip to the geek squad tomorrow.

peat moss
11-28-2008, 04:00 AM
Oh no not the Geek Squad . I tease and glad you did n't take it personal . You need to find a little Mom and Pop store that has a " Clocker " type mentality that strives for service .

Your problem ,like mine is your stubborn and just a lil bit of knowledge is dangerous . :D

mbucari1
11-28-2008, 04:45 AM
LOL. thanks for the continued advice. I think I know just the place. A mom & pop joint just a few miles away called Delta Computers.

So between you, me and the interwebz, what's wrong with the geek squad? I never used them before. I applied there once, but I think the psych evaluation did me in.

clocker
11-28-2008, 02:51 PM
what's wrong with the geek squad?
What's not?
The Geek Squads primary purpose is to act as a secondary sales arm of Best Buy...why fix something if you can just upsell your way out of a problem?
Everyone has their horror stories about encounters with the GS but I've actually seen them...complete data loss, 1000w PSU installed in an eMachine, the list goes on.

Also, keep in mind that you may have more than one cause of your problems.
Seems like we've been all over the place on this one...

mbucari1
12-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I fixed it? Been working for 3 hours with no problems. Playing games and everything with no crashes!

I thought that my hard drives were drawing too much power, so I disconnected all but my system drive and started hooking them up one by one. Each time I added one the system remained stable. Now all 5 are plugged in and it's working!

Although I'm glad my pc is back to normal, I'd like to know what happened. Any thoughts?

@peat: I've haven't been able to find my keys for days, so I couldn't take my pc anywhere.

peat moss
12-02-2008, 12:44 AM
One of the IDE cables was loose ?

backlash
12-02-2008, 01:01 AM
glad u got it sorted. blessed relief!

mbucari1
12-02-2008, 01:43 AM
One of the IDE cables was loose ?but why would that allow my system to boot and function almost normally?

@backlash: me TOO!

peat moss
12-02-2008, 03:26 AM
One of the IDE cables was loose ?but why would that allow my system to boot and function almost normally?

@backlash: me TOO!

I'm just guessing , I'v had that problem with a faulty dvd rw cable . Can you go back and read the Event Viever ? Administrative Tools / Event Viewer.

mbucari1
12-02-2008, 04:58 AM
I repeatedly get Error 49 ftdisk.