PDA

View Full Version : School Internet

hotshot6473
11-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I am currently at a University and want to use their internet bandwith to download and seed.
However whenever I am on their network my downloads start and then all the bandwith is taken away instantly but webpages still work.
I am thinking they are killing my connection as soon as they see alot of bandwith being drawn.
Is there anyway to prevent this or am I screwed? BTW I am on a mac laptop.

vobilli
11-21-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty sure you're screwed. They tend to lock that shit down and ban those that pirate pretty quickly.

Rigel9
11-22-2008, 01:08 AM
If you're ballsy you might want to go with a VPN tunnel.

But I don't know a way to use only their connection...

th0r
11-22-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm pretty sure you're screwed.wow, why the jump to such a bold (C WAT I DID THAR?!/1) conclusion?

anyways, you (the op) and i are alike; i realized the nerds at it are buttplugging all of the student's ports so they won't infect the network. you can try vpn'ing your traffic or port sniff for an open one, but the intarweb superstars on campus might notice it and cut you off completely; if the traffic is suspicious, it might get worse

i would say move off campus and subscribe to another internet provider, if you can

Rigel9
11-22-2008, 02:22 AM
best solution for the time being might be a cheap and trustworthy seedbox with linux savvy friends, whatbox, etc...

th0r
11-22-2008, 02:25 AM
do you think that that kind of traffic from a seedbox will go unnoticed? i have considered renting one, but with the ~75x speeds on my network i would easily get canned from the university intranet

TrAnCeTaSTiC
11-22-2008, 03:01 AM
Many schools that are on a network are pretty locked down when it comes to P2P sharing. Kind of like Comcast and their throttled uploads! Not entirely sure what can be done about it because most of the limited options (i.e. seedbox) are risky and can be traced back to you.

colbert
11-22-2008, 03:33 AM
Moving off campus is about your only solution. Most colleges including the one I attended have the campus network on lockdown for anything other than "research" and "learning". ;)

H&K
11-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Have you tried relakks? I used it at my uni and it did the job. If they say anything just say its a linux distro, they should be far less likely to say anything that way.

hotshot6473
11-22-2008, 03:29 PM
I live off campus but the internet available pails in comparison to the school internet. What program could I use to port sniff the network?

colbert
11-23-2008, 04:55 AM
How will the campus network help you if you live off campus?

nthpeter
11-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Our college isnt locked :) They ban ppl using bittorrent client, but other clients can be used. The only limit is 2Gb/day for uploading.

Scott1487
11-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Aside from using a seedbox and downloading your files through ftp/http, another option might be to use a solution such as www.http-tunnel.com. This allows you to configure your bittorrent client to use to use a local socks server, and route all of your traffic through an http connection. I used a setup like this in the past (with utorrent), and it works well as long as you stick to public trackers. The price is fairly cheap when compared to a seedbox, and it allows you to somewhat utilize the speed of your connection. PM me if you have any questions or need help setting something like this up.