PDA

View Full Version : Barcoding People

mutterings
09-08-2003, 10:19 PM
Uk has announced that it will be allocating a unique number for every child in uk.How long before we have a barcode or chip under the skin?Who agrees and why?

james_bond_rulez
09-08-2003, 10:21 PM
yeah and everytime you go shopping the cashier has to scan your head first :D

Snee
09-08-2003, 10:25 PM
I've had a number since I was born, the first six digits signify my birthdate, the last four are chosen to reflect on my gender and previously the location I was born (the locational data was later removed from the system to protect immigrants and those numbers are now picked at random).

This number is unique to me, and everyone in my country has one like it. It's no big deal.

*spellcheck*

lynx
09-08-2003, 10:27 PM
You get other unique numbers anyway. Health registration number or whatever it is called, which in theory you need to get medical treatment (but which is never checked) then when you start work you get a National Insurance Number. Get a passport and you get another number. Get a driving license and you get another number.
This is only starting a little earlier, and it actually makes more sense to have ONE number for everything instead of lots of different unique numbers.

J'Pol
09-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by lynx@8 September 2003 - 23:27
You get other unique numbers anyway. Health registration number or whatever it is called, which in theory you need to get medical treatment (but which is never checked) then when you start work you get a National Insurance Number. Get a passport and you get another number. Get a driving license and you get another number.
This is only starting a little earlier, and it actually makes more sense to have ONE number for everything instead of lots of different unique numbers.
I agree

bigboab
09-08-2003, 10:28 PM
I agree I think everyone in the UK should have an ID card with their photo and NI number on it. After all we require a licence for nearly everything else.

lynx
09-08-2003, 10:30 PM
Must have been a good answer, JP agreed with me ;)

Lilmiss
09-08-2003, 10:31 PM
i would agree to have everyone tagged.
it would do wonders for catching rapists, murderers and other general scum.

plus, it would keep you damn kids outta the pubs.
more beer for me. :D

loz
09-08-2003, 10:32 PM
human rights, tagging would never by compulsery

mutterings
09-08-2003, 10:33 PM
I just cant help thinking of prisoner."I am a man not a number"<<<not sure if thats the exact words :P

bigboab
09-08-2003, 10:33 PM
If it was possible it would be a good idea for everyone to have some kind of DNA code on their ID cards. It would help in solving crime.

Snee
09-08-2003, 10:34 PM
It&#39;s kind of practical to be able to call some buisness or government agency, whatever the reason, tell them your number and have them ready to fill out the forms or whatever in seconds.

It&#39;s not at if they can trace your every move anyway...yet.

loz
09-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@8 September 2003 - 22:34
It&#39;s kind of practical to be able to call some buisness or government agency, whatever the reason, tell them your number and have them ready to fill out the forms or whatever in seconds.

It&#39;s not at if they can trace your every move anyway...yet.
All seems a bit like &#39;minority report&#39;

Snee
09-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Like I said, no big deal.

It&#39;d take way to much resources for them to control us just by assigning us numbers.

thewizeard
09-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by mutterings@8 September 2003 - 23:33
I just cant help thinking of prisoner."I am a man not a number"<<<not sure if thats the exact words :P
You could also think "I am a man and I have a (unique) number&#33;"

I would not like to have a chip inserted under my skin though...

bigboab
09-08-2003, 10:40 PM
"I am a free man, not a prisoner" I think was the saying.

mutterings
09-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by nigel123@8 September 2003 - 22:38
You could also think "I am a man and I have a (unique) number&#33;"

I would not like to have a chip inserted under my skin though...

cats and dogs dont want them either but "we are thier superiors"&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;hmm sounds like government talk :angry:

J'Pol
Originally posted by bigboab@8 September 2003 - 23:33
If it was possible it would be a good idea for everyone to have some kind of DNA code on their ID cards. It would help in solving crime.
I was going to say something along those lines as well.

Why not take a dna sample from everyone. How intrusive is that.

I see no reason why the authorities should not hold a fingerprint and dna sample for everyone. I would happily supply mine.

It would help to protect the innocent and find the guilty. Is that a bad thing.

Snee
What&#39;s wrong with a chip?

I&#39;d like one if I ever was unconcious for example, having the people at the hospital know who to call, and what they should avoid to do (allergies and such) could probably save a few lives.

Snee
09-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by JPaul+8 September 2003 - 23:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 8 September 2003 - 23:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigboab@8 September 2003 - 23:33

I see no reason why the authorities should not hold a fingerprint and dna sample for everyone. I would happily supply mine.

It would help to protect the innocent and find the guilty. Is that a bad thing. [/b][/quote]
Well put&#33;

J'Pol
09-08-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by lynx@8 September 2003 - 23:30
Must have been a good answer, JP agreed with me ;)
My apologies, I&#39;ll try not to agree with you again.

It&#39;s not as if it&#39;s difficult.

thewizeard
09-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by JPaul+8 September 2003 - 23:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 8 September 2003 - 23:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigboab@8 September 2003 - 23:33

It would help to protect the innocent and find the guilty. Is that a bad thing. [/b][/quote]
Well there is the risk of someone &#39;planting&#39; your DNA at the scene of a crime.

bigboab
09-08-2003, 10:51 PM
But that risk is already here&#33;

thewizeard
09-08-2003, 11:06 PM
Just been suffering from a bit of lag.

Of course, but if the authorities had samples, they could use it to incriminate someone. If there was a fail-safe methode of keeping samples, then it would be a good idea.

lynx
09-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Although the risk is diminishing (with better techniques), there is still a possibility that someone could be wrongly identified from a dna sample. As for fingerprints, as far as I know it has never actually been proved that they are unique, they appear to be random so it is possibly that two people at random could have the same pattern.

If everyone had to give samples, the chance of someone being incorrectly identified rises if dna (or fingerprint) samples match more than one person, and if the real offender is a habitual criminal he is more likely to have arranged an &#39;alibi&#39; than the innocent person.

I believe that the odds against being wrongly identified from a dna sample is now about 1 in 50 million. But if you look carefully at what that statistic means, you will see that in a country the size of Britain there is probably someone with dna which matches your own.

loz
09-08-2003, 11:15 PM
Everyone&#39;s eyes are unique too maybe we could have what they do in minority report....

Alpha_Caesar
09-08-2003, 11:18 PM
Barcoding huh? Hmmph I&#39;m sure not getting one when they start to implement it.

evilbagpuss
09-08-2003, 11:20 PM
I&#39;m not religious but I&#39;ve always found this passage rather interesting...

Originally posted by Revelations chapter 13 verses 16-17

He causes all, the small and the great, the rich and the poor, and the free and the slave, to be given marks on their right hands, or on their foreheads;&nbsp; and that no one would be able to buy or to sell, unless he has that mark, the name of the beast or the number of his name.

Anyway... imho ID cards are a bad move. Once you introduce them you cant get rid of them and they could be easily be abused by any future repressive Gvt. With todays technology they could easily track your every move with it.

With regards to the DNA issue... again a very bad idea. The insurance companies would have a good old time finding out who was at risk from hereditary medical conditions and then charging them extortionate prices for cover.

You cannot trust the powers that be with this much info and power, so dont give it to them.

Asides from all that serious stuff... I dont want some Nazi screaming "PAPERS&#33;" in my face every time I leave the house.

loz
09-08-2003, 11:23 PM
If that kind of stuff fell into the wrong hands then it could be bad.

MetroStars
09-09-2003, 12:04 AM
I wud luv 2 b branded like a cow....

give me a barcode on my arm like Kyle Reese from Terminator anyday

:lol:

loz
09-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by MetroStars@9 September 2003 - 00:04
I wud luv 2 b branded like a cow....

give me a barcode on my arm like Kyle Reese from Terminator anyday

:lol:
I&#39;m sure that can be arranged

MetroStars
09-09-2003, 12:13 AM
wud u heat the brabding tool up 4 me Loz

:lol: :lol:

mutterings
09-09-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Alpha_Caesar@8 September 2003 - 23:18
Barcoding huh? Hmmph I&#39;m sure not getting one when they start to implement it.
This is my biggest problem Alpha you dont get a choice&#33;&#33;&#33;its done as a child so you have no choice if you want to tagged or not which in my opinion is a breach of human rights&#33;&#33;ok so you jumped up do gooders are gonna get on your high horse on how good it is that people can be found if they commit a serious offence but what about the people that say fu*k you riaa??what about the people that have not commited a crime YET.and when they do commit a misdemeanor will they not get to become president/primeminister or will they get chosen??(ie people in the know scrub the record for people they can trust??)yes i am paranoid but can you blame me???

bigboab
09-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Would it be such a bad thing if child rapists and murderers could be identified within hours? It would virtually eliminate serial killing. Identity cards were compulsory during the second world war in the UK. I dont think there were many people that refused them. I actually still have mine&#33; :ph34r: