PDA

View Full Version : Omg Scared

mjharns
09-09-2003, 01:08 AM
I just got a message that my system was being shut down and it gave a timer, it said that it was by NT authority/system

it was like an error message

is this bullshit riaa

or a virus

??

TheFilePirater
09-09-2003, 01:12 AM
virus prolly

balamm
09-09-2003, 01:15 AM
mom and dad just bought you a computer did they? Here's a usefull tip.....

There's this place on the internet called Google where they have all sorts of interesting things to read. Try it. Maybe even before you embarass yourself with a post like this again.

boow
09-09-2003, 01:16 AM
msblast ahahaha you should virus check your files before opening them

Paganini
09-09-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by mjharns@9 September 2003 - 01:08
I just got a message that my system was being shut down and it gave a timer, it said that it was by NT authority/system

is this bullshit riaa

or a virus

??
its a virus to fix it you will need to use microsoft hot fix just update your windows that should fix the problem

and raise a firewall or anti-virus program specially wen using kazaa

RaZoR_WiRe
09-09-2003, 05:10 AM
"There's this place on the internet called Google where they have all sorts of interesting things to read. Try it. Maybe even before you embarass yourself with a post like this again."

Thats harsh....go easy on the n00b.

MUSLEMAN
09-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by mjharns@8 September 2003 - 21:08

is this bullshit riaa

or a virus

??
virus go to the main page of your virus scan carrier and follow instructions for removing the blaster

Path0gen
09-09-2003, 08:25 AM
Sounds like the Blasted Worm (http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html)!!

toddiscool
09-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by boow@9 September 2003 - 02:16
I do not think that would have helped because the virus is not spread through a file.

MUSLEMAN
09-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by toddiscool+9 September 2003 - 05:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (toddiscool @ 9 September 2003 - 05:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-boow@9 September 2003 - 02:16
I do not think that would have helped because the virus is not spread through a file. [/b][/quote]
an email attachment could be a file

Barbarossa
09-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+9 September 2003 - 10:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 9 September 2003 - 10:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by toddiscool@9 September 2003 - 05:32
<!--QuoteBegin-boow@9 September 2003 - 02:16
I do not think that would have helped because the virus is not spread through a file.
an email attachment could be a file [/b][/quote]
Yeah, but the MSBlast virus (which this is) isn&#39;t spread through files&#33;&#33; It&#39;s spread because of a vulnerability in the RPC, which needs to be patched immediately.

@mjharns, if you are still here, try and get to Windows Update and install the MSBlast patch.

MUSLEMAN
09-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by barbarossa+9 September 2003 - 06:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (barbarossa @ 9 September 2003 - 06:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@9 September 2003 - 10:36

Yeah, but the MSBlast virus (which this is) isn't spread through files!! It's spread because of a vulnerability in the RPC, which needs to be patched immediately.

@mjharns, if you are still here, try and get to Windows Update and install the MSBlast patch. [/b][/quote]
and how would it get to your pc to effect your windows???? would it be through some kind of a download or does it just appear out of no where??

toddiscool
09-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+9 September 2003 - 12:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 9 September 2003 - 12:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by barbarossa@9 September 2003 - 06:47

Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@9 September 2003 - 10:36

Yeah, but the MSBlast virus (which this is) isn't spread through files!! It's spread because of a vulnerability in the RPC, which needs to be patched immediately.

@mjharns, if you are still here, try and get to Windows Update and install the MSBlast patch.
and how would it get to your pc to effect your windows???? would it be through some kind of a download or does it just appear out of no where?? [/b][/quote]
It attacks through open ports, thus the surge on firewall sales as a result.

Barbarossa
09-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@9 September 2003 - 11:12

and how would it get to your pc to effect your windows???? would it be through some kind of a download or does it just appear out of no where??
Yes, quite simply it appears out of nowhere&#33;&#33;

Where have you been these last few weeks, read and learn&#33;&#33;&#33; (http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_MSBLAST.A&VSect=T)

:ph34r:

MUSLEMAN
09-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by barbarossa+9 September 2003 - 08:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (barbarossa @ 9 September 2003 - 08:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MUSLEMAN@9 September 2003 - 11:12

Yes, quite simply it appears out of nowhere!!

Where have you been these last few weeks, read and learn!!! (http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_MSBLAST.A&VSect=T)

:ph34r: [/b][/quote]
yes i'm very aware that but as long as you go near anything thats infected you could get infected ;) for more details i be glad to give you ms's tech support # so you could learn details B)

Barbarossa
09-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@9 September 2003 - 12:44
yes i&#39;m very aware that but as long as you go near anything thats infected you could get infected ;) for more details i be glad to give you ms&#39;s tech support # so you could learn details B)
Yes, you say you&#39;re aware of that, but you&#39;re not seeming to understand..

You could get infected just by being connected to the internet, and having an unpatched operating system and open ports.

You did not have to download a file to be infected. You did not have to visit a website to be infected. You did not have to open an email attachment to be infected, it was just enough to be connected..

I am pretty comfortable with the level of detail and the understanding I already have thanks, how about you?

B)

toddiscool
09-09-2003, 01:10 PM
The only thing that i do not understand about this virus is how it is still spreading, I reformatted yesterday, first thing installed was AV and fireall, in process of bam remote procedure call failed. Do people not watch the news.

Barbarossa
09-09-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by toddiscool@9 September 2003 - 13:10
The only thing that i do not understand about this virus is how it is still spreading, I reformatted yesterday, first thing installed was AV and fireall, in process of bam remote procedure call failed. Do people not watch the news.
They watch, but they no&#39; understand...

:huh:

MUSLEMAN
09-09-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by barbarossa+9 September 2003 - 08:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (barbarossa @ 9 September 2003 - 08:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MUSLEMAN@9 September 2003 - 12:44
yes i'm very aware that but as long as you go near anything thats infected you could get infected ;) for more details i be glad to give you ms's tech support # so you could learn details B)
Yes, you say you're aware of that, but you're not seeming to understand..

You could get infected just by being connected to the internet, and having an unpatched operating system and open ports.

You did not have to download a file to be infected. You did not have to visit a website to be infected. You did not have to open an email attachment to be infected, it was just enough to be connected..

I am pretty comfortable with the level of detail and the understanding I already have thanks, how about you?

B) [/b][/quote]
no you don't understand what i'm saying :blink: :blink: going on the net is one way of getting it boss not the only way, as i said before would you like the # for ms or a link???

Switeck
09-09-2003, 03:02 PM
If you&#39;re running MICROSOFT Windows (any version :P ), there are enough security holes, bugs, and backdoors INTENTIONALLY put in by Microsoft that viruses/trojans/worms don&#39;t need to trick you into doing something to run them to get into your computer ANYMORE... they just need you to be connected to the internet. Once you&#39;re connected, these viruses can and probably will find you -- it&#39;s only a matter of time.

IF YOU CONNECT TO THE INTERNET, IT CONNECTS TO YOU&#33;

And the odds of being hit by a virus this way are ASTRONOMICALLY more likely than being sued by RIAA/MPAA/BSA/or whatever the copyright clowns call themselves nowdays.

"If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, the first woodpecker to come about would destroy civilization"

The situation virus-wise on the fasttrack (kazaa) network is already desperate enough as it is. Not so much NEW viruses as old ones that are very good at spoofing filenames that many people want to get. Some of them also double as email viruses and/or direct infectors that don&#39;t need anyone to download a file OR read an email.

Even if you NEVER download an EXE file off Kazaa you can still get a virus. I got one that had a MP3 extension over a year ago. Microsoft Media Player could &#39;run&#39; the MP3 virus just fine because it was a VBS virus -- Other MP3 players might not run VBS scripts and thus be unable to activate the virus. There are probably more out there today than then&#33;

There&#39;s also files with extensions of MP3/AVI/MPG which are in fact ASF/WMV files that have scripting abilities that may be hostile -- or can at least contact a website when you play them.

So to make this long story short, get antivirus software -- and update it at least once a month. Because antivirus software CANNOT be expected to be able to deal with viruses written AFTER they were -- that&#39;s like asking them to predict the future. Even this won&#39;t make you safe -- just safer than otherwise.

The price of having a big, well-connected file-sharing network is it&#39;s well-connected for viruses to copy across too -- you can&#39;t really have it both ways: big network AND totally devoid of viruses.

muchspl2
09-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@9 September 2003 - 14:36

[QUOTE=MUSLEMAN,9 September 2003 - 12:44] yes i'm very aware that but as long as you go near anything thats infected you could get infected ;) for more details i be glad to give you ms's tech support # so you could learn details B)

i think your wrong MUSLEMAN, it primery means of propagation in open ports, not files & it not a virus, its a worm

MUSLEMAN
09-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@9 September 2003 - 19:26

[QUOTE=MUSLEMAN,9 September 2003 - 12:44] yes i'm very aware that but as long as you go near anything thats infected you could get infected ;) for more details i be glad to give you ms's tech support # so you could learn details B)

i think your wrong MUSLEMAN, it primery means of propagation in open ports, not files & it not a virus, its a worm
what is wrong with every body i know its a worm, all i'm saying that going on the internet is not the only way to get infected by it, thats it, don't take my word for it please call ms or go on their site <_<

mjharns
09-11-2003, 01:45 AM
listen dudes dont give me no shit....i have my anti virus always updated... and it wasnt a virus...its cus i cant use windows update so stop acting all hardass like ur so cool u can be better than everyone...i had a problem i ask u dudes for help thats all

peace

LIsten to punk rock

evilbagpuss
09-11-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by mjharns+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mjharns)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>listen dudes dont give me no shit....i have my anti virus always updated...[/b]

So why, in your original question, did you ask if it was a virus?

Originally posted by mjharns@
and it wasnt a virus...

No it was a worm

<!--QuoteBegin-mjharns
its cus i cant use windows update so stop acting all hardass like ur so cool u can be better than everyone...i had a problem i ask u dudes for help thats all[/quote]

Change your AV software because its not working properly. Even though your machine wasnt fully patched the AV software should have went mad when you got infected.

Get a decent firewall, get a decent AV program, read this FAQ

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=56265

and dont be so ungrateful when people try to help you out.

supersonic
09-11-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by RaZoR_WiRe@9 September 2003 - 00:10
"There&#39;s this place on the internet called Google where they have all sorts of interesting things to read. Try it. Maybe even before you embarass yourself with a post like this again."

Thats harsh....go easy on the n00b.
leave the LAMER alone&#33;&#33;

Adster
09-11-2003, 03:51 AM
PARANOID

cow_dung
09-11-2003, 06:07 AM
:blink: Blaster Worm :blink:

Pitbul
09-11-2003, 06:12 AM
its the MSblast this moron noob just thinks hes some kind of computer genius heres what u should do run the symantec Remover tool when it finds and and removes it then download te windows updates.

4play
09-11-2003, 06:22 AM
&nbsp; its the MSblast this moron noob just thinks hes some kind of computer genius heres what u should do run the symantec Remover tool when it finds and and removes it then download te windows updates.

thats not very nice calling people noob and you have it the wrong way around. you should download and install the fix first.

there is no point scanning for it since it will probably restart your pc before you get the chance to finish. ;)

m&#036; protection guide (http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/windowsxp/firewall.asp) these seems like a nice guide from the lovely people at m&#036;

strim99
09-11-2003, 07:05 AM
there&#39;s no point in scanning for it with virus scan, cuz it&#39;s not a friggin file on yer puter. it comes in through open ports that ur ISP should prolly block anyway. it&#39;s not a file stored on yer hard drive - and that&#39;s what this thread has argues about back and forth.

just update it w/the microsoft patch (hopefully ur not on a 56k modem) and everything will b dandy.

SHEESH&#33;

4play
09-11-2003, 07:13 AM
there&#39;s no point in scanning for it with virus scan, cuz it&#39;s not a friggin file on yer puter. it comes in through open ports that ur ISP should prolly block anyway. it&#39;s not a file stored on yer hard drive - and that&#39;s what this thread has argues about back and forth.

why should your isp block ports?

and im sure this tries to download a file named msblaster.exe to your windows folder. ;)

toddiscool
09-11-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by 4play@11 September 2003 - 08:13
why should your isp block ports?

Especially those ports. Your ISP should block the ports used for exchange email servers? We had to as a result of the worm, and that made for alot of happy customers ;)

4play
09-11-2003, 07:46 AM
i can understand blocking certain ports for home users but just whacking a blanket block on all your customers is gonna be a very bad idea.

busineses often use many of the ports that blaster used so how can you block them to protect them from such worms.

I can understand how it may be of great use but there are better ways that isps can protect the internet.

for starters they could check all ips that are heading out of their network belong to them. this would eliminate dos attacks overnight since nobody could spoof an adress
a dos would become trivial to trace.