PDA

View Full Version : JP, or someone else who knows stuff about lawyering

Skweeky
11-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Gonnae explain to me what the difference is between a lawyer, a solicitor and a barrister? :blink:

I was watching that knew barrister programme on the telly box last night and I am confused about the whole thing :unsure:

Something Else
11-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Is it....type of wig.

Something Else
11-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Or length of wig. :unsure:

enoughfakefiles
11-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Isn't it they're allowed to wear wigs in court :unsure:

cilice
11-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Lawyers and solicitors are pretty much the same entity as I understand it. They do a lot of donkey work and speak in defence of lesser crimes in the magistrate's court.

When things go beyond that to the higher courts, they feed information and support to barristers who wear wigs and are quite partial to sado-masochistic sexual practices and also talk good.

enoughfakefiles
11-26-2008, 10:03 PM
When things go beyond that to the higher courts, they feed information and support to barristers who wear wigs and are quite partial to sado-masochistic sexual practices and also talk good.

Rly :O

We might have to hire one for our empoyment tribunal case

IdolEyes787
11-26-2008, 10:12 PM
are quite partial to sado-masochistic sexual practices .

I hear cross dressing will do that to you.

cilice
11-26-2008, 10:25 PM
are quite partial to sado-masochistic sexual practices .

Noice.

I bet the pre-edit didn't contain 'I hear'.

You're getting used to the lounge, dammit.

cilice
11-26-2008, 10:40 PM
I suppose the distinction between lawyers and solicitors would be that lawyers tend to prostitute themselves in the civil courts in circumstances which have either been ultimately rejected by the magistrate's/higher court or have been deemed not worth prosecuting in the first instance.

Longest sentence without punctuation of the year award.

JPaul
11-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Lawyer is a generic term.

Solicitors deal with civil matters and if they are criminally trained fairly minor criminal matters. They will appear in the Sheriff Court, in Scotland, or the lower Courts in England. They cannot appear in the High Court, they do not have right of audience. If they are prosecutors they work for The Procurator Fiscal and are salaried. If they work for the defence they are in private practice and charge for their work.

Barristers are criminal lawyers with right of audience in the High Court. They can actually work in the lower Courts as well but rarely do. Unless the defendant (accused in Scotland) can afford their exorbitant fees. QCs are Barristers who have been selected as Queen's Council. They are like ubber Barristers. In Scotland they are known as Advocates. If they are employed by the Crown (The Lord Advocate) they work for the prosecution and are known as an Advocate Depute. Other QCs normally do defence work, however they can be instructed by The Crown. Some refuse to do prosecution work.

That's kind of a simplistic explanation. I've jumped between Scotland and England (in a legal sense) because I can.

cilice
11-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Sheriff's Court in Scotland/Lower Court in England is known as Magistrate Court over here, like. Any offence which doesn't potentially carry a sentence of over two years custodial sentence will be defended by a solicitor.

When it comes to appeal or if new, more serious charges are added, then that is taken to the High Court, and that'll be defended by a barrister or QC as JP (obviously, is aware of) pointed out.

In my experience, solicitors generally have a favoured barrister who they will work closely with if their client (the solicitor's) has transcended his legal boundaries. This might arise if the client has had added charges or goes for appeal, like. In my case, I had a piss poor solicitor but a fucking eloquent barrister who actually happened to be an alumni (albeit by a distance of 20 years) of mine.

Maybe this isn't the norm. Correct me, JP. Feel free, mate.

JPaul
11-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Sheriff's Court in Scotland/Lower Court in England is known as Magistrate Court over here, like. Any offence which doesn't potentially carry a sentence of over two years custodial sentence will be defended by a solicitor.

When it comes to appeal or if new, more serious charges are added, then that is taken to the High Court, and that'll be defended by a barrister or QC as JP (obviously, is aware of) pointed out.

In my experience, solicitors generally have a favoured barrister who they will work closely with if their client (the solicitor's) has transcended his legal boundaries. This might arise if the client has had added charges or goes for appeal, like. In my case, I had a piss poor solicitor but a fucking eloquent barrister who actually happened to be an alumni (albeit by a distance of 20 years) of mine.

Maybe this isn't the norm. Correct me, JP. Feel free, mate.

Works for me, mate.

Barbarossa
11-27-2008, 09:36 AM

Noice.

Pre-edit post:-

I here cross dressing will do that to you.

:frusty:

Skweeky
11-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Ta muchly.

So what do you do JP?

And did anyone watch the barrister thing? It all seems a bit sect like having to attend dinners and dances etc!

Alien5
11-27-2008, 10:15 AM
...Unless you are in the USA where they dont have solicitors or barristers, and just one person doing all the jobs of Sol's and B's that they call a lawyer.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071205025616AAd9La1

JPaul
11-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Ta muchly.

So what do you do JP?

How many times do I need to tell you I'm an accountant.

Skweeky
11-27-2008, 07:22 PM
I thought you were into building :snooty:

JPaul
11-27-2008, 07:26 PM
I am.

There's no comma in my previous, please don't read one into it.

Snee
11-27-2008, 08:47 PM
One's called a lawyer, the other a solicitor and the third a barrister, obviousaly.

IdolEyes787
11-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Noice.

I here cross dressing will do that to you.:frusty:

I here you're a wanker.

enoughfakefiles
11-27-2008, 09:17 PM

I here cross dressing will do that to you.:frusty:

I here you're a wanker.

Is barbie single :eyebrows:

Barbarossa
11-28-2008, 12:21 AM