PDA

View Full Version : Cd-r Storage

toddiscool
09-09-2003, 09:26 AM
I am just filling up books of cd's too fast now, and it is costing me a fortune for the damn books, plus them being big and in the way. I am trying to find something a little more convenient.

Ideas I have come up with are... taking a 2 ring binder spine out and mounting it under my television stand, then using pages from the books to creat like a flip thingy.

Cons of this idea - would not be able to hang as many sheets as I would need.
- the weight would be on the openings of the rings, probably
too much weight

Idea #2.. same idea spine from a two ring binder, mounting it on a wall and builing a deep box around it to support the sheets. This woudl allow alot of pages, conveint and out of the way.

Cons of this idea - I cannot build a damn thing.
- I live is a studless building so I could not hang the thing properly.

Anyways just wondering if anyone has anything creative they use. I need something for around my tv, hanging under tv stand would be cool, but I like on the wall to. And something for my computer room - I have no ideas for the computer room.

I want them to be easily browsable, while out of the way. Just let me know what u use if it is not a binder or spindel.

PS. I am not at allintrested in the cd, rolledex things that plug into your usb drive. (although a good idea, I am sure they are a pain in the ass to find the cd you were just browsing.)

ilw
09-09-2003, 09:44 AM
I didn't really follow your descriptions but nevermind.... By cd 'books' do u mean those cd wallets which hold up to 300 cds? If so how many cdr's are u going through to say that they're costing u a fortune :blink:

toddiscool
09-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Yeah I mean the cd wallets, I use the 128's after that they are just too big and in the way. Heavier than I care to lift. I burn alot of movies/software/games... alot.

Ya i know the description were not great, I did not go into detail because the ideas were not very good either ... kinda of a draged out intro into the question. I tend to do that, online character flaw.

3rd gen noob
09-09-2003, 09:59 AM
draw some nice picture diagrams...that might help

toddiscool
09-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Like yours on your dsl set up :lol: :P

Ok I will, but after I will have to retrakt my make fun of yours.

toddiscool
09-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Idea one ... under tv stand

http://home.cogeco.ca/~webextras/idea%201.gif

Idea 2, mounted to wall

http://home.cogeco.ca/~webextras/Idea%202.GIF

Both of these ideas are not that good, I was kinda hopin that someone had something that they had that was good.

vivitron 15
09-09-2003, 10:54 AM
get a load of the plastic thingys and take the sleeves out, like you said, and get a giant piece of wood...superglue all the wallets to it, and then stick the wood to the wall somehow...then theyre all on show :)

3rd gen noob
09-09-2003, 11:05 AM
those diagrams look pretty good
i was kind of hoping they were really bad, so i could laugh at them...:P

one question about the first design though...how would the cd's be held in position in the binder?
wouldn't they just fall out? :blink:

toddiscool
09-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@9 September 2003 - 12:05
one question about the first design though...how would the cd's be held in position in the binder?
wouldn't they just fall out? :blink:
Yeah I though that, As said in my con for it. All the weight would be on the "hinge of the binder" With that one I would either need to find something made for that or come up with something. I really do not like it anyway.

In looking at my diagram of 2 I am starting to like that, the problem is though that unless i can d'ld a frame i would cut my finger off trying to cut the wood with a bread Knife.
I was kinda hoping to find somethig commercial like this, maybee i could make it?
Dont even think about stealing I alreaddy have the patent on it.

Actually I may just try that one, see how it turns out.

BTW: has onyone ever seen just normal pages onsale looseleaf like that? I am sure that i could find them online, but the s&h would cost more than the pages.

lynx
09-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by toddiscool@9 September 2003 - 11:43
BTW: has onyone ever seen just normal pages onsale looseleaf like that? I am sure that i could find them online, but the s&h would cost more than the pages.
Try Staples.

They have some economy ones at £3.39 for a pack of 10 (holds 40 cds).
If you want to search online, look for 'cd wallets'

Edit: when you've found what you want, go buy them in the store.

vivitron 15
09-09-2003, 01:10 PM
on a serious note, you do know you can get loose leaf ring binder types in shops?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/36082i0.jpg

taken from : http://www.maplin.co.uk/Products/ModuleInf...082&modulelist= (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Products/ModuleInfo.asp?Addon=&CartID=030909130449688&moduleno=36082&modulelist=)

at www.maplin.co.uk

couldnt u use stg like this and just mount it under the TV by drilling a couple of holes in it and screwing to the frame of your tv stand?

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
09-09-2003, 01:17 PM
I have a Caselogic that holds around 260.....cost me quite a bit($50).But it looks Cool. :P

Am about to get another(have around 400 CDRs of DATA).....that should hold me over for about a Month or two.....and then will need a third one.

Maybe one day you and me have a DVD Burner and will not worry about all these CDRs. :lol:

toddiscool
09-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@9 September 2003 - 14:17
Maybe one day you and me have a DVD Burner and will not worry about all these CDRs. :lol:
Very true, of course the bins and isos, unless we can format the dvd to diffrent parts (can you do that?) I guess could judt extract contents to dvd. (if i would go to work i could get one.)

I have a Caselogic that holds around 260.....cost me quite a bit($50).But it looks Cool. 

Am about to get another(have around 400 CDRs of DATA).....that should hold me over for about a Month or two.....and then will need a third one.

Same boat it jsut becomes to many. I mean i use 128's just a little bit lighter, and easir to put on stuff. But I have 4 of them all full. 1 of movies, 2 of games i never play, and 1 of software titles. I need to do a huge burning run but have no where to put them when I am done, thus this thread.

Back on topic

@vitron - Yeah i thought that route aswell, I cannot see the design of the rings on that one, but the design flaw is that all the weight from the sleeves would be on the "joint" of the ring causing it to open.
Aswell with the rings hung verticley as they would have to be, not many sleeves could actually fit on the ring.

Thanks for all the input btw guys.