PDA

View Full Version : Delete .avi File?

BILLY-THE-FISH
09-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Not sure if this is the right section for this question? but here goes......
I have an .AVI preview file that is 700mb (some preview 'eh?)
that i just can't delete!! everytime i try it says that maybe some other program is using it! :huh:
But i've closed down everything and it still won't delete!! :blink:
and i can't move it because it sends my comp crazy now whenever i go near it!! :blink:
Can anyone pleeze help??

Cheers

balamm
09-09-2003, 08:10 PM
right click, properties/advanced/security remove everything from the ownership box. Add your account only, assuming you have administrator status. remove inheritable parent propagation, and apply. You should be able to delete it now. If not, restart the PC and try again.

Darth Sushi
09-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Unable to Delete AVI Fix.

Open regedit and go to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
Delete the value you find there.

This is due to XP (explorer in particular) trying to create a preview
for it. Now because the file is corrupted or incomplete,
it cannot read it properly, hence, it will not release the file.
This prevents explorer from doing this.

As usual, backup the registry key before deleting it.

balamm
09-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Darth Sushi, that has global and undesireable effects and is permanent.

Darth Sushi
09-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by balamm@9 September 2003 - 21:12
Darth Sushi, that has global and undesireable effects and is permanent.
Perhaps, but I haven't notice any problems keeping my system like this. Also, this method does not requires a reboot. Of course, you can always restore it back if you do a registry backup before deleting the entry.

pol
09-09-2003, 08:48 PM
i never really have any problems deleting or moving avi's. sometimes they dont want to go first time, but another try or 2 always works for me. i think i remember reading in this forum before that you can delete them easily (if your having probs) by using the file browser in nero and some other progs, just right click the file then delete. must be better than editing the registry

BILLY-THE-FISH
09-09-2003, 09:51 PM
thanks but...
Darth's idea seemed ok until balamm put me off! :lol:
And balamm i've got xp and not sure i can do what u said??
anyone else got any ideas???

nikita69
09-10-2003, 06:18 AM
try my sig, there is tip for stubborn files.

six
09-10-2003, 06:28 AM
that happened to me a couple times but i dont know if your file is corrupt.
if it isnt, just highlight the file, wait for the xp to process the preview(give it, say 30seconds) then right click and delete.

BILLY-THE-FISH
09-10-2003, 08:00 AM
Thanks Six!
tried that trick but it still won't budge :o
DAMN IT!!!!

ilw
09-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Yeah delete a reg key, but the one i found is slightly different

Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. there is a fix to let xp behave much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files. The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll. To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489- 5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32 This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files. Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find. As always newbie or not, if you FUBAR your registry its your own fault.

That reg key is confirmed by multiple places and i would definitely recommend deleting it or not using windows explorer.I don't know what the other reg key mentioned does, maybe the same thing?

nikita69
09-10-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by nikita69@10 September 2003 - 06:18
try my sig, there is tip for stubborn files.
:blink: :blink: :blink: :beerchug:

Kk4S-HaVoK
09-11-2003, 06:33 PM
i reboot that works also click delete and try to close the window the avi is in :rolleyes:

[B][O][T]
09-11-2003, 06:46 PM
How to delete a file with Windows XP / Windows 2000.

Start - Run - Command - cd C:\Movies - del something.avi [THIS WILL DELETE SOMETHING.AVI]

How to delete all files in a FOLDER.

Start - Run - Command - cd c:\ - del foldername [CHOOSE Y]

How to delete a file using SAFE MODE.

Re-boot Your machine and press F8 while Windows starts to load.
Choose SAFE MODE, locate the file and delete it.

BOT

balamm
09-11-2003, 06:46 PM
The important thing is to take ownership of the file away from the system and give it to the account holder only. That way the system can't argue with you. Any way you can, get into the advanced security properties for that one file and delete any system attributes or ownership, then with you as owner, and no inheritable properties, it will delete very simply.

BILLY-THE-FISH
09-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Thanks you guys i'll try these idea's now and let you know!! :o

BILLY-THE-FISH
09-11-2003, 08:38 PM
BOT .... I tried it in safe mode but it still won't let me delete it (still says some prog. maybe is using it!

I tried to delete a file like you suggested in DOS but it kept putting up a message saying "too many parameters"????? not sure what this means?

And i'm not sure about your advice on deleting a folder seeing as it's in my documents and I can't now move it? also not sure what you mean't by (CHOOSE Y)??

I appreciate your help tho' CHEERS!!!
:beerchug:

BILLY-THE-FISH
09-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Balamm... How do you get into the advanced security properties of a certain file
as you suggested?

balamm
09-11-2003, 09:26 PM
It should be in right click/properties/ advanced, maybe security in XP. All the attributes will be listed with the owner and permissions. Any thing other than administrator should be removed, check the do not inherit box, check all permission levels boxes for the admin, click apply, then delete.

ilw
09-11-2003, 09:26 PM
In win explorer go to
tools -> Options -> view -> Uncheck simple file sharing (at the bottom)
now when u right click a file and go to properties there should be a security tab and from there an advanced button.
But i think this is a case of the well known bug Darth Sushi pointed out and balamms solution may not work, if it doesn't I reckon u should try either my or Darth Sushi's solution or do a litttle search on google for 'delete avi file xp' and u should find all the info you need.

Sibre
09-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Ok, I have had the same problem...I have found three solutions.

The first involved clicking on the file, and waiting for a bit until the little preview on the side panel loads and all the information about it on the status bar has loaded...they try deleting it.

Another thing that I have found that works is to select the file, and choose Edit --> Cut. Then, close the folder, and paste it into the recycle bin...then just simply empty the recycle bin.

The final solution is to find a file deletion utility. They are widely available for free on the net. Check on Download.com and you should be able to find one

I don't recommend deleting registry entries unless you know what you are doing...you could end up deleting something accidentally and screwing up your computer

gbfan
09-12-2003, 01:10 AM
This probably won't help cuz I'm sure you've checked it out, but k-lite wouldn't happen to still be running hidden in the taskbar. Sometimes that causes that to happen to me and not all of them just one or two usually at a time.

BILLY-THE-FISH
09-14-2003, 12:27 AM
iLW........ when i click on TOOLS .. FOLDER OPTIONS...then the VIEW tab
there doe's appear to be a SIMPLE FILE SHARING box to un-check as you suggested?? You do mean on XP that i'm using yes?

ilw
09-14-2003, 12:35 AM
On mine (XP pro) if you scroll right down to the bottom, it says
"use simple file sharing (recommended)"

MUSLEMAN
09-14-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by BILLY-THE-FISH@13 September 2003 - 20:27
iLW........ when i click on TOOLS .. FOLDER OPTIONS...then the VIEW tab
there doe's appear to be a SIMPLE FILE SHARING box to un-check as you suggested?? You do mean on XP that i'm using yes?
ok go start>run>type msconfig>sevices>here at the bottom check the box that says hide all microsoft services then go to start up hit disable all, hit apply and hit ok and when prompted for restart hit ok and restart

BILLY-THE-FISH
09-14-2003, 01:10 AM
I'll try that muscleman
But what am i doing that for??
And what do i do after i've done that??

Thanks for help tho'! :beerchug:

MUSLEMAN
09-14-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by BILLY-THE-FISH@13 September 2003 - 21:10
I'll try that muscleman
But what am i doing that for??
And what do i do after i've done that??

Thanks for help tho'! :beerchug:
well it starts your system with only microsoft programs needed to run the os and nothing else, after it restarts try to delete the file, and don't start no programs either just right after reboot go and delete the file, the msconfig window will come up again, this time chose close without restart

pol
09-14-2003, 01:28 AM
hey billy the fish did you try the nero thing ? :D

BILLY-THE-FISH
09-14-2003, 12:30 PM
pol......which nero thing??

BILLY-THE-FISH
09-14-2003, 12:41 PM
WOW SORRY pol just read back and tried the NERO thing you was on about.......
and it WORKED!!!!! :D

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must of missed your post the other day :huh: !
Maybe opening it in normal Explorer makes it thinks others are using it! but in NERO it doe'snt??

I'm soooo pleased!!! :lol:

and i would like to THANK everyone peronally who tried to help!!
peoples like....ilw,muscleman,gbfan,sibre,balamm,darth sushi,nikita69,sixkk4s havok and BOT! CHEERS :beerchug:

pol
09-14-2003, 01:12 PM
glad it worked for you billy boy :D