PDA

View Full Version : Usenet client for linux

Something Else
12-05-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm running Fedora. Is there any decent client that a) Doesn't use a lot of ram and b) Has 10 connections c) Is still being developed.

Thanks.

basilhaydens
12-05-2008, 10:03 PM
hellanzb might suit you, since I guess you are trying to exclude sabnzbd with "c".

UsenetGuy
12-05-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm running Fedora. Is there any decent client that a) Doesn't use a lot of ram and b) Has 10 connections c) Is still being developed.

Thanks.

SABnzbd+ ;)

http://sabnzbd.org it's a very decent client and pretty lightweight, I use it myself and it doesn't affect my systems performance at all. Its based on python so it will work with any system capable of using python. It's also completely web-based (you manage it by using you're web browser) so you can even access it remotely if you want :P

Think it's still in active development but I don't check the site that much.

:)

Something Else
12-05-2008, 11:40 PM
I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Update. It's a FAQing nightmare. :pinch:

Funkin'
12-07-2008, 03:47 AM
Yes, Sabnzbd+ is the way to go. When I switched to Linux I looked around for good readers. And finally got suggested Sabnzbd+, and now I"ll always use it.

Another one that is low on CPU is Pan. There's also NNTPGrab.

iLOVENZB
12-15-2008, 03:10 AM
Another one that is low on CPU is Pan. There's also NNTPGrab.

An excellent suggestion ive been using it on my Linux box with no problems.

It's lightweight, decent gui, and supports nzb's.

link2009
12-15-2008, 03:15 AM
SabNZBD+ is the way to go...you can remotely control it (through HTTP).

tusks
12-18-2008, 10:54 PM
I highly recommend NNTPGrab if you don't want to bother with CLI but hellanzb is excellent if you are willing to manually edit the config file (which is easy as pie). Never tried SabNZBD+.

technovert
12-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Hellanzb (highly recommended) combined with screen and you can have a very powerful usenet downloading setup. Personally, I use sabnzbd because of the web interface but have used both clients.

link2009
12-19-2008, 01:37 AM
Hmm...this got me thinking, has anyone tried running Newsleecher under Wine or Cedega? I wonder if we get emulate the Windows client on a Linux setup...

cimithan
12-19-2008, 02:58 AM
alt.bin work fine under wine, i used it as hellanzb backup

222MHz
12-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I use Pan to browse headers a lot.. And sabnzbd is running as a daemon watching the desktop for .zip and .nzb's .. I do notice that Pan seems to hold back the connect a bit, probably in design.. sab happily chugs away ~700KB and pan doesn't like getting past around 600.. I don't really care, fast enough for me.

As far as connections goes.. Pan has a max of 4 by default keeping them in the "Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval" however you can edit ~/.pan2/servers.xml and set it to whatever you'd like. Be aware that Editing News Servers from pan itself will rewrite that file replacing anything you did by hand.

alt.bin work fine under wine, i used it as hellanzb backup

WINE should be used as a last resort. There are bountiful GNU tools to preform any tasks needed..

man apropos
aptitude search ~dnzb (debian dudes) ;)
google.com/linux

Should you run into a tool that is lacking a feature you'd like to see, have a look at the projects website/mailing lists and see what you can do to file a feature request. You don't have to be a developer to participate in the advancement of GNU/Linux.

cimithan
12-19-2008, 07:02 PM
WINE should be used as a last resort. There are bountiful GNU tools to preform any tasks needed..

he..he.. dont worry about that mate ;)

btw, can you download newsmangler (http://www.madcowdisease.org/mcd/newsmangler) from https://svn.madcowdisease.org/mcd/newsmangler/trunk ? i keep getting "connection refused"

222MHz
12-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Iceweasel can't establish a connection to the server at svn.madcowdisease.org.