PDA

View Full Version : need a dvd burner that doesnt suck

kooftspc11
12-09-2008, 10:59 AM
my liteon dvd burner has crapped out on me in just 6 months and i am now looking for a replacement. at under 30 dollars, these drive are all pretty damn cheap...its not about the money. i just dont want to be here again in 6 months asking for a drive that sucks less than the one you will recommend to me later on in this thread :)

the only requirement i have is for the drive to not suck

i dont care whether its sata or ide

i dont care whether its black or white...or even jew for that matter

i dont care if it can juggle or do magic tricks

all thats important is that it doesnt suck....literally or figuratively

ps. i live in the us and will (more likely than not) be using newegg.com

lets find some fucking dvd burners!!

Skiz
12-09-2008, 11:05 AM
I recommend NEC. I always buy them for my PC's and have never had a single one need to be replaced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=nec+dvd+burner&x=0&y=0

chibislick
12-09-2008, 03:12 PM
take a look over there:

LINK REMOVED - STOP SPAMMING THAT SITE

check out the thread about top 5 Optical drive

:)

Appzalien
12-09-2008, 03:12 PM
With any dvd burner, it doesn't matter $20 or $120 they're all made in China now so its a crap shoot when you buy one. If your lucky you'll get a $20 one that lasts for 10 years, if luck is not on your side though you can pay for a $120 one thats nothing but problems. In 2000 - 2004 I bought several that work fine still, but after 2006 they either fail to read one type or another (cd/dvd), fail altogether or are just buggy. You can try and Rma one of these drives but you'll find they have new hoops for you to jump thru to make it almost impossible to get an rma.

The best way to beat it, and unfortumnately it means spending more, is to buy from Best Buy or stores like that and insist on an extended warranty. That way if it fails within 1 or 2 years (whatever they will sell you) you at least have the option to get another and try again. No guarantees of course that the new one isn't buggy as well though. Otherwise spend your $30 online and throw the dice. Watch for sales below $30, often when a company knows there are alot of bad ones in a batch they discount them and dump them on the market and let the consumer find the bad ones.

Detale
12-09-2008, 08:07 PM
10 years!!! Do you really want the same burner for 10 years? Last 3 I got( for myself and other builds) are samsung burners and haven't had a single hiccup. This model (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154) to be exact.

SniperXX
12-10-2008, 01:09 AM
I recommend NEC. I always buy them for my PC's and have never had a single one need to be replaced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=nec+dvd+burner&x=0&y=0

I too have a solid NEC burner thats been working since like 05 without a problem. Cost me like $30 on newegg back then on sale. Its only 12x I think but does DL which is what I want.:happy:

peat moss
12-10-2008, 05:36 AM
I like LG or Liteon , never failed me yet .

kooftspc11
12-10-2008, 09:53 AM

well that makes one of us....

i just ordered an LG drive from newegg. from what i've read in the reviews it seems the drive is pretty slow but i really dont care about that.

ALL I CARE ABOUT IS THAT IT DOESN'T SUCK

Funkin'
12-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Some nice recommendations. I'm also looking for one.

Artemis
12-10-2008, 11:35 AM
10 years!!! Do you really want the same burner for 10 years? Last 3 I got( for myself and other builds) are samsung burners and haven't had a single hiccup. This model (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154) to be exact.

Have to agree with the worst mod on this one :O Have used Samsung DVD burners for years and they have all performed faultlessly, in fact an old combo drive I bought 7 years ago is still going strong.

kooftspc11
12-10-2008, 10:36 PM
my other drive is a samsung and its been going strong for almost 3 years.

it will beat the shit out of anybody who steps to it...trust me, skizo was not the first

FileZ
12-12-2008, 01:33 AM

well that makes one of us....

i just ordered an LG drive from newegg. from what i've read in the reviews it seems the drive is pretty slow but i really dont care about that.

ALL I CARE ABOUT IS THAT IT DOESN'T SUCK

I have LG 20x and it work great

Appzalien
12-12-2008, 02:30 AM
10 years is nothing for a dvd burner, once cd's reached 52x speed and DVD rw's hit 8x speed, all thats left is DL and once it hits 6-8x speed thats probably it, so if you get one of these it will be good nearly for ever let alone 10 years. They will never break the 52x cd speed and the others will stay relatively where they are as well since the next generation data storage will eventually wipe the cd/dvd from the market anyway, they will always be a decent and cheap source of storage though.

Skiz
12-12-2008, 02:49 AM
10 years is nothing for a dvd burner, once cd's reached 52x speed and DVD rw's hit 8x speed, all thats left is DL and once it hits 6-8x speed thats probably it, so if you get one of these it will be good nearly for ever let alone 10 years. They will never break the 52x cd speed and the others will stay relatively where they are as well since the next generation data storage will eventually wipe the cd/dvd from the market anyway, they will always be a decent and cheap source of storage though.

No one will be burning DVDs in 10 years; at least not judging by the current development trends. If things continue to progress the way they have, BluRay may be outdated by then.

Detale
12-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Good point. I only burn DVD's for friends never for myself anymore.

clocker
12-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Meh.

Optical drives are so yesterday.
Flash media will be the future.

What a boon/revolution it will be for desktop PC design.

One of the fundamental requirements of a desktop case has been easy access to the optical drives.
Assuming no other changes to current component design- think motherboard and power supply here- just switching to solid state hard drives and eliminating the optical drive reduces the needed case size by easily 30%, with no performance hit.

A small remote enclosure with a few USB and eSATA (or whatever the new standards will be) ports would be the only part of the PC you'd need to see/have accessible.

Sweet.

kooftspc11
12-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Meh.

Optical drives are so yesterday.
Flash media will be the future.

What a boon/revolution it will be for desktop PC design.

One of the fundamental requirements of a desktop case has been easy access to the optical drives.
Assuming no other changes to current component design- think motherboard and power supply here- just switching to solid state hard drives and eliminating the optical drive reduces the needed case size by easily 30%, with no performance hit.

A small remote enclosure with a few USB and eSATA (or whatever the new standards will be) ports would be the only part of the PC you'd need to see/have accessible.

Sweet.

well that was pretty fucking useless in a help thread

clocker
12-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Yes, it certainly was.

I'm going to go cut on myself now.