PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Charger

johnq86
12-10-2008, 03:09 AM
I would like to know if someone can help me.I have a laptop that for some reason when i plug in the charger it doesn't stay in properly and is very lose.One move and the charger falls out,can it be the charger itself or the laptop hole?

Detale
12-10-2008, 03:24 AM
I recently fixed a friends laptop having this problem. in his case the internal part that accepts the plug was broken on the inside. I found the part on Ebay i think for around $50(on the sony site it was $130 :O . It was a huge pain in the ass though I had to take the whole laptop apart, which is always dangerous and tedious, but it worked out in the end. What model laptop is it?

johnq86
12-10-2008, 03:28 AM
Vaio

johnq86
12-10-2008, 01:39 PM
what would I have to get to fix this?

Detale
12-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Well I would need more info then simply "viao". A model number would help, also if it's still under warranty they will fix it for you.

johnq86
12-11-2008, 08:53 PM
It is a Vaio NR series

Detale
12-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Ok, I tried, I'm done

Santa
12-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Agreed :lol:

Use;
Glue or velcro or magnet or karma.

kooftspc11
12-12-2008, 11:33 PM
if its the actual part where the cord bends and gets thicker you can just strip it and reattach

tesco
12-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Ok, I tried, I'm done
This guy has been doing this for the 5 years he has been a member here.
Look at his threads.
Also never repsonds to say if what people suggested actually worked.;)

johnq86
12-13-2008, 12:41 AM
o0oo0 OK goodbye forever

Detale
12-13-2008, 03:46 AM
Agreed :lol:

Use;
Glue or velcro or magnet or karma.
LOL Glue I'm sure that will work

@ the op. Dude if you want help you need to give us something to go on. This reminds me of when I lived in California and I was assistant manager of Warehouse music (Best job ever) People would come in and say "Do you know that song, the one on the radio, it goes like do do do dee dee?" I obviously would say uh no sorry. They would then get all pissed like I was not only supposed to know every song ever played on the radio but I was supposed to figure it out in three noises they would utter. Get what I mean here?

I clearly asked for a model number otherwise no one can help you. I'll still even help you if you post a model number

clocker
12-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Power ports are the Achilles heel of every laptop.
No one- absolutely no one- has gotten it right, which I find amazing and illuminating at the same time.
"Amazing" because it wouldn't be that hard to redesign and permanently fix the issue, "illuminating" because it's obvious that manufacturers don't want to fix the problem and would rather you bought a new laptop every few years.

The only proper fix is to unsolder the broken port from the motherboard, locate a new part (good luck with that!) and then solder the new port back on.
Naturally, there is no logic or standardization of ports- they differ from maker to maker and even within the same product line.
Even better, manufacturers consider the port to be part of the motherboard (or, in some cases, part of a power supply daughterboard), so the port itself is not listed as a separate part- basically, only experience and aftermarket info can lead you to the proper replacement.

I've seen probably every conceivable "fix"- from hot glue to duct tape- most of which last only long enough for the "repairperson" to get your money and hustle you out the front door.

New port and solder is the only semi-permanent repair but that still leaves you vulnerable to the inherent weakness of the original design.
It WILL fail again- because it's intended to.

I hate laptops.

Detale
12-13-2008, 09:45 PM
The last two I fixed like this I was able to replace the entire part from inside the laptop. It was a small two pin connector held in by a clip and a screw to hold it in place. Both were Sony Vaio's though so I don't know if this is a Sony thing or what. I agree to the unth degree I hate Laptops!!!