PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Been Capped on OVH?

Carlpb
12-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I hear a lot about OVH capping because of excess bandwidth usage on their standard plans, but I have never heard of anyone actually being capped first hand.

So has anyone here been capped yet?

and

What precautions do you take so that you do not become capped?

Thanks, Carl

andra
12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
i did get one of mine servers put in the noSLA mode.
I did still get max speed on sct and scc where there is many other ovh seedboxes but my ftp speed was quite slow.

I did only get about 10KB/s per thread to my home line in sweden. And i did get 800Kb/s before.

SeedBoxer
12-12-2008, 01:50 AM
hi I did

then I did move to other provider

tgrchan
12-14-2008, 03:35 AM
darn that sucks. I always thought OVH was the good stuff. What's happening?

aturservice
12-20-2008, 07:43 AM
I have heard you have to download/upload alot something like 10-11TB to be capped so it's not easy to get capped i believe.

On my box i have never been capped yet :D

meelad
12-20-2008, 10:04 AM
i was also capped. It was shared 1 gbit server. I was capped within 10 using of maxing out the seedbox.

aturservice
12-21-2008, 02:56 AM
meelad,
how much did you have to download/upload? must of been a fair bit?

Fibre
12-21-2008, 04:52 AM
If you get a server from OVH in Premium mode, you will never be capped. Make sure there is only one server per account :)

puckface
12-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I have heard you have to download/upload alot something like 10-11TB to be capped so it's not easy to get capped i believe.

I was capped after 15 days and 4 TB, so no. This is why they will never again get my money and I will always steer people clear of them.

slayer2005
12-21-2008, 05:05 PM

I was capped after 15 days and 4 TB, so no. This is why they will never again get my money and I will always steer people clear of them.

I have a few members from here who lease from me.
And i have just reniwed 1 of them today,he nos who he is.
He is on a kimi and he has pushed 10tb this month so far with 3 days left.
If you no how to use it you can push it easy.:)

johhn
12-21-2008, 07:03 PM
I have a few members from here who lease from me.
And i have just reniwed 1 of them today,he nos who he is.
He is on a kimi and he has pushed 10tb this month so far with 3 days left.
If you no how to use it you can push it easy.:)

just ordered a cheapest kimi L(23 quid) from co.uk, will see how it will turn out since only used it with old policy before. hope it wont suck too much.
p.s pls share some tips if you dont mind.

fodxx
12-21-2008, 09:56 PM
That same Kimi package, under the new policy (Standard bandwith) I do an average 5TB a month and it's running smooth as silk, never been capped.
...Of course if you use it at 11MB all day your gonna get cut, just try to manage the top speed and your fine.

johhn
12-21-2008, 10:32 PM
That same Kimi package, under the new policy (Standard bandwith) I do an average 5TB a month and it's running smooth as silk, never been capped.
...Of course if you use it at 11MB all day your gonna get cut, just try to manage the top speed and your fine.
5 TB would be totally acceptable for 23 quid, since I will be using it for some high level trackers so constant top speed would be so hard to achive.
by 'managing the top speed', do you mean I should set the dl/up speed limit on ut ? if so ,what should it be, 8mb/s for up and dl ?

fodxx
12-21-2008, 11:36 PM
...by 'managing the top speed', do you mean I should set the dl/up speed limit on ut ? if so ,what should it be, 8mb/s for up and dl ?

Only on some very fast trackers you would get 11MB for long hours, so I guess you 'll be fine.
From what I know, on standard bandwith, OVH only allows you 36 hours/month at top speed so, from this, you know what I mean.
Anyways almost all traffic at top speed is beteween OVH servers and that one is free of any control so don't worry...Just follow this guidlines don't go extreme and you'll get great speeds when you need them.

johhn
12-22-2008, 12:34 AM
...by 'managing the top speed', do you mean I should set the dl/up speed limit on ut ? if so ,what should it be, 8mb/s for up and dl ?
Only on some very fast trackers you would get 11MB for long hours, so I guess you 'll be fine.
From what I know, on standard bandwith, OVH only allows you 36 hours/month at top speed so, from this, you know what I mean.
Anyways almost all traffic at top speed is beteween OVH servers and that one is free of any control so don't worry...Just follow this guidlines don't go extreme and you'll get great speeds when you need them.

thanks for the tip, didnt know about the 36 hrs part.as far as I know bothe transit and peering are included in average traffic calculation so just to be safe I will put a speed limit in ut. but still not sure if they have a hidden traffic limit which can trigger some traffic management.
cheers

Ichigo81
12-30-2008, 03:55 AM
Hey guys, am I under noSLA? I don't come near the limit, but I assume that since I'm getting it from a reseller I am "sharing" the danger zone to be capped. Here's a pic of utorrent speed:

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/2692/987978wi7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Up and down, up and down all day long. It rarely goes over 1MB/s and if it does it quickly comes right back down to 100kB/s. This is really irritating :(

nbo
12-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Hey guys, am I under noSLA? I don't come near the limit, but I assume that since I'm getting it from a reseller I am "sharing" the danger zone to be capped. Here's a pic of utorrent speed:

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/2692/987978wi7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Up and down, up and down all day long. It rarely goes over 1MB/s and if it does it quickly comes right back down to 100kB/s. This is really irritating :(

hmm i get the same speeds, if im lucky ill see something close to 2MB, but
more than half the time im under 60KBS, pretty redicolous if you ask me

Ichigo81
12-30-2008, 04:32 AM
^Well we are with the same reseller, and OVH says something like if a client with more than 1 server goes over 101mbit they will all be put in noSLA. That's my taking on it anyways.

Speeds used to be great, but last couple days it's been like that up there...

seedplace
12-30-2008, 04:41 AM
RPS servers are totally off that rule. That's why they are special server.

Ichigo81
12-30-2008, 05:01 AM
I didn't think it was noSLA, but what else could explain it? This was happening even before OS reinstall.

Here's a 1 second interval:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/5764/986967al5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Edit: According to a post yesterday on OVH forum RPS can be capped:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11588&postcount=10

seedplace
12-30-2008, 06:00 AM
That is tottaly not true :)
Maybe the boy has misunderstood.
The servers ovh offers have different policies each other.
There is no low priority on rps servers .
The only limitation you can face is HD's rpm.
But with some tweaking you can push your rps up to 5mb/s.

And a thing that a lot of you always miss is that you can not always have 10 mb/s and that depends from you not hosting companies. You have to know how to handle a dedicated server. You can not expect great speeds by seeding a torrent with only 80 leechers and 1000 seeders on a server like sct for example

Ichigo81
12-30-2008, 06:25 AM
I know, we've already talked about that :P I don't expect 10mb/s, I don't even expect half that... but I do expect more than 1 when just a couple days ago I was getting that. Now the fluctuating speeds seem here to stay and not topping 1mb/s no matter what the seed/peer ratio is. As an uploader on many sites I am the only seed and it makes no difference.

The first 13 days I uploaded 1.5TB. Last 2 days like 50GB. Something happened, and it's not on my end as I haven't changed any settings at all.

Edit: Could very well be a hardware problem, but seems unlikely. What do you think?

UncleBob
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Ichigo81, what is a scale of time axis on your screenshot?

Ichigo81
12-30-2008, 07:33 PM
The first one I made was a 5 second interval, the second is a 1 second interval.

I wonder since the cache read is exactly the same (the darker red line) that it could be a HDD failure. I dunno, but this sucks now.

UncleBob
12-30-2008, 07:46 PM
You mentioned you reinstalled the OS? If you run Linux, make sure you have upgraded to the latest version of wine. uTorrent has a problem with earlier wine versions. It's also helpful to check uTorent log with all logging options turned on.

Ichigo81
12-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Yea it was doing this before the reinstall tho. I have Wine 1.1.10, I know about the bad disconnect bugs in earlier ones.

Here's a log if you wanna look

http://www.mediafire.com/?w0zmyxmzyxg

UncleBob
12-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Log is pretty much okay. But this graph is something I cannot understand. :( What traffic series is that? Sorry if I missed it in your earlier posts. I'm at 'Standard' and once managed to UL about 800GB/24hr. And once I thought I was being capped, it returned back to normal in about 1-2 hours.

Ichigo81
12-31-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm on the "RPS I" (using a reseller). It won't come close to 800GB in 24 hours :P I was able to get a steady stream of 2-3mb/s upload all day long but now it's like this.

Now, I am trying to download something and the download speed is also being capped/doing the same thing.

Edit: Opening Firefox and downloading off websites don't work either. Download would start up then just crash back to desktop. Now I'm really starting to think it's hardware related.

KushBlow
12-31-2008, 02:25 PM
I have on Kimsufi. I emailed them and threatened to download a 200Gb pack and they uncapped me.

:lol:

nbo
12-31-2008, 07:02 PM
how can you know if youre capped?
lol in the rare event that my ovh rps is up im lucky to get over 100KBS upload

Ichigo81
12-31-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't know what happened last night but I was on my remote client trying to torrent some stuff and I got kicked off. After trying to get back on for awhile once I did speeds were back to normal.

nbo
12-31-2008, 08:10 PM
well thats good, i havent been able to connect all day, this is the worst server ive ever seen in my life

KushBlow
01-01-2009, 01:21 PM

Wow that sure sucks you should email support or something.

nbo
01-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Wow that sure sucks you should email support or something.

I did, they answer quickly but not really directly to what I'm asking... it's an OVH reseller so I assume the problem is with OVH, of course I need to contact the reseller and not OVH but nothing seems to help...
I think next month I'll just drop working through a reseller since I cant get realt direct or helpful support..

teresckova
01-02-2009, 01:01 AM
i am using kimsufi L,the cheapest plan from ovh,just perfect for me...done 4 tb in 3 weeks or so....i hope i dont get capped,will se how much can go

nbo
01-02-2009, 01:03 AM
i once had a kimsufi and it was amazing, this time i was on a tighter budget and let me tell you- getting and RPS was the biggest waste of money ever

cinephilia
01-03-2009, 07:44 AM
hi ratio whores :wave:

KushBlow
01-03-2009, 12:55 PM
hi ratio whores :wave:

:cry1:'

I'm guessing you don't have a seedbox?