PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience slipstreaming drivers into an XP installation?

Night0wl
12-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I downgraded to XP on a computer and I can't install the audio driver on a loaded system. I tried safe mode without network and everything like that.

I can't uninstall the wrong driver or update it or... anything I try :(

Would it be an easy thing to slipstream the driver into an XP install disk using e.g. nLite?

clocker
12-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Depends on the driver.

Creative drivers cannot be slipstreamed using nLite.

bentomans
12-13-2008, 01:29 AM
which way did you install windows update or setup file ?
did you install with accurate driver ?

Night0wl
12-13-2008, 03:57 PM
The driver I need to install is Realtek HD Audio driver, so not creative thankfully.

My biggest worry is how do I remove the driver that gets installed by default in the install. I somehow need to get Windows install to understand that it's in fact the wrong driver it's installing and instead choose the Realtek one.

clocker
12-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Can't you just remove the faulty Windows supplied driver?
If not, why?

peat moss
12-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Can't you just roll back the driver if not the right one ? I'm with clocker on this one , is this a Windows Update ?

bentomans
12-14-2008, 03:30 AM
The driver I need to install is Realtek HD Audio driver, so not creative thankfully.

My biggest worry is how do I remove the driver that gets installed by default in the install. I somehow need to get Windows install to understand that it's in fact the wrong driver it's installing and instead choose the Realtek one.
just install new driver don't need to remove old driver :D

Night0wl
12-14-2008, 11:20 AM
I can't remove the old driver at all. Whatever I push it will either not react at all, or it will say can't remove files, which are needed for Windows startup (when pressing remove driver).

If I try to install the correct driver through .exe file, it extracts and then says installation failed.

peat moss
12-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Have you tried in safe mode ?

Night0wl
12-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I tried safe mode, but issue resolved now :D

It turned out that something I did previously allowed the wrong audiodriver to get stuck. A new reinstall of XP and installing The Realtek HD Audio Driver as the very first thing did the trick.

Hairbautt
12-17-2008, 04:31 AM
You shoulda nlited the shit out of it anyways. Don't think I'll ever install an XP copy without nlite...

Tho' it takes some learnin' on what to remove and what not to. You can always test using a virtual machine for that...

peat moss
12-17-2008, 05:48 AM
I tried safe mode, but issue resolved now :D

It turned out that something I did previously allowed the wrong audiodriver to get stuck. A new reinstall of XP and installing The Realtek HD Audio Driver as the very first thing did the trick.

Excellent ! Glad you got in fixed , now stay away from Windows Update . :pinch:

clocker
12-17-2008, 01:39 PM
It turned out that something I did previously allowed the wrong audiodriver to get stuck.
What?

Night0wl
12-20-2008, 02:23 PM
It turned out that something I did previously allowed the wrong audiodriver to get stuck.
What?

As in some other driver (non audio) or program triggered something. Hell if I know.. but it works perfectly now. I ran into a similar thing with my own laptop upon reinstall. There it turned out that hotkey drivers had to be installed before some other driver. And uninstalling the other driver didn't work. Only complete reinstall or serious registry modification would fix it. Since a complete reinstall on a new install isn't a big deal, I choose that over registry modification.

Every single driver installed and every single Windows update downloaded and installed.