PDA

View Full Version : Is super seeding acceptable

thrillerboy
12-17-2008, 01:17 PM
I've just came across the term super-seeding. What is that by the way?

If what I heard is correct, its seeding to extreme buffer, Is it acceptable?

Nemrod
12-17-2008, 01:26 PM
In my opinion is not a good thing. What you get with that are amazing and useless buffers... and to make very difficult to others with bad connections to upload and even to get 1:1 ratio.
Some sites are strongly against that practice, good for them.

stoi
12-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Super seeding in clients means you never send the same piece twice, great for an initial seeder, but if there are other seeders on it then turn it off, as it can do more harm than good.

and the way you are describing it, it depends on the tracker, some frown upon it, as its harder for others to get a 1 ratio if some are getting 10-200 ratios on some torrents, others do not care, because they have other things in place to combat it (freeleech, SP, etc etc etc)

ajsi
12-17-2008, 02:55 PM
i don't think that overseeding(if i take it as downloading file and then seeding it for a very long time) is bad or not acceptable. why would it? it makes that downloaded file more accessible for longer time. that's a good thing, why would this behaviour be bad for others? if everybody would disconnect after getting ratio 1. on some torrent, speeds would not be good. and at the end, the torrent may die. you don't seed because of buffer, but because of sharing. that's the way it is supposed to be, isn't it? torrents mean sharing, that's what we do. not some overseeding... another thing is just buffering with seedboxes...

Swift
12-17-2008, 03:38 PM
if you have a torrent you should seed it untill you can ( only delete it when you don't have space on your HDD )

slimdogp
12-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Superseeding, or initial seeding, should only be used when you are the first uploader of the torrent, and not even always then!

It does a few things. It waits for a confirmation from the peer that it (the peer) has sent the data on to someone else before it sends that peer more data. Well imagine you are on a torrent with 20 seeds and then 1 leecher comes along. Your client is now waiting on confirmation from that peer that it has sent the data along to another person. But wait! There IS NO OTHER PERSON because they are the only leecher.

That is just one of the problems that can arise. Basically all you need to know is that superseeding has several design features to seed more efficiently. Getting out more distributed copies of the torrent faster and with less upload bandwidth used.

If you're looking to build a buffer or good ratio on a site regular seeding is much much better.

The Wanderer
12-17-2008, 05:35 PM
nothing to see, move on

Alpine01
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
This is super seeding not over seeding :rolleyes:

The Wanderer
12-17-2008, 05:53 PM
This is super seeding not over seeding :rolleyes:

Damn, next time I'll read more careful the topic. :lol:

DanielleD87
12-18-2008, 01:44 AM
if you're upping a rls to a site than yes (if you have a slow upload rate)
else: NOOOOOO!

edit: most sites auto ban super seeding because it falls under hit and run rules as well.

stoi
12-18-2008, 08:23 AM
not to sound like a complete fucking noob here

edit: most sites auto ban super seeding because it falls under hit and run rules as well.

but eh!!!

That is something that i have never,ever heard off or even thought about in all honesty, it just cant be seen as the same at all.

care to explain the reasoning.

integral
12-18-2008, 08:54 AM
not to sound like a complete fucking noob here

edit: most sites auto ban super seeding because it falls under hit and run rules as well.but eh!!!

That is something that i have never,ever heard off or even thought about in all honesty, it just cant be seen as the same at all.

care to explain the reasoning.

I'm assuming they meant that superseeding could possibly lead to not sending out data anymore (if there are too many seeds and too little leechers). And that's only an assumption, it's hard to decipher the thought processes of some of these vague people... :frusty:

stoi
12-18-2008, 09:01 AM
but if they are superseeding, they have completed it, so its not a hit and run, because its hmm completed, whether they actually downloaded it from the tracker or are just helping to seed it, its still completed.

so I have no clue how it could even be seen as a hit and run.

monk3y
12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
isn't it OVER seeding ?

Sanka113
12-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Basically, superseeding is meant to help people with slow connections share whatever they're uploading to the person with the fastest connection. They basically seed the entire file to that one person (instead of having bits and pieces going to multiple people.) That person in turn seed that back to everyone else with their fast connection thus creating more complete seeds than the regular method of seeding.

stoi
12-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Basically, superseeding is meant to help people with slow connections share whatever they're uploading to the person with the fastest connection. They basically seed the entire file to that one person (instead of having bits and pieces going to multiple people.) That person in turn seed that back to everyone else with their fast connection thus creating more complete seeds than the regular method of seeding.

well i do not know what client you use but it has never worked like that for me.

lets say you have 10 pieces, and 10 leechers.

it will give 1 leecher 1 piece each and they will be all unique pieces, so you should never give the same piece out twice, hence why it is faster (obviously you may give 5 pieces to 2 leechers each, but they will still be unique)

When i used to upload a lot, it went something like this.

1 gig file

Azureus would upload 1.4gig
Utorrent would upload 1.2gig
Bittornado would upload 1.1gig

on superseed.

without superseed it was something like

Azureus would upload 1.7gig
Utorrent would upload 1.4 gig
Bittornado would upload 1.3gig

and that was to see 1 leech become a seed, but it has been awhile since i was a serious uploader, so those numbers may have changed a lot.

basically you just get seeders faster, and upload less.

DanielleD87
12-21-2008, 07:37 AM
hit and run is when you download and don't seed back. superseed is not seeding and regardless if you superseed for months you're still not seeding so you're tech hit 'n running. on most sites you will not get banned for such and will get a warning but it is in the rules on most sites not to super seed.

superseed != overseeding. superseed is were your client registers to the tracker that you are still a peer after you finish downloading. this way your client decides what pieces to seed to others instead of the tracker allocating it which can help in rare situations, but the tracker and the other peers on the torrent will all see you as a peer instead a seed which can lead people to think there isn't any seeds or ...

cadaffi
12-21-2008, 08:17 PM
overall I think superseeding is a bad thing. But especially with seedboxes, people are able to build a huge buffer nowadays and the little guy at home who already had a difficult time against the swedish connections, now has even a bigger trouble.

It starts to look like torrenting is going to become pay2leech....

stoi
12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
hit and run is when you download and don't seed back. superseed is not seeding and regardless if you superseed for months you're still not seeding so you're tech hit 'n running. on most sites you will not get banned for such and will get a warning but it is in the rules on most sites not to super seed.

superseed != overseeding. superseed is were your client registers to the tracker that you are still a peer after you finish downloading. this way your client decides what pieces to seed to others instead of the tracker allocating it which can help in rare situations, but the tracker and the other peers on the torrent will all see you as a peer instead a seed which can lead people to think there isn't any seeds or ...

what??? lol

The top bit i mean, how if you are superseeding, you are not seeding.

I just dont get it and i have ran a tracker for 5 years and I am still at a loss with some of the crap people come up with.

Polarbear
12-21-2008, 10:25 PM
i experimented once with it on one of my uploads on E****. when the first leecher came, my client didn't connect to the peer with superseed turned on.
i turned ss off again, it connected to the peer with full upload speed. turned it on again: peer disconnected again.

that was enough for me to prove that it doesn't make sense for me. i never used it again since.

stoi
12-21-2008, 10:59 PM
it is only good if there are 10 or more leechers, and you are the only seed.