PDA

View Full Version : Bonding neighbors' wifi into one connection

Ryan711
12-19-2008, 12:24 AM
I was just wondering if something like this would work. Get a wireless ethernet bridge(s) and latch on the your neighbors wifi connection(s), then plug the ethernet bridge into a multi-wan router. Seems like it should, but don't want to spend money on the equipment if i'm not sure if it will work or not. Anyone know?

ryan20021982
12-19-2008, 04:23 PM
You just want to be able to hook wireless to you non wireless router???

I do that with a wireless access point hooked to my wired router

If thats what you wanted to know

Artemis
12-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I was just wondering if something like this would work. Get a wireless ethernet bridge(s) and latch on the your neighbors wifi connection(s), then plug the ethernet bridge into a multi-wan router. Seems like it should, but don't want to spend money on the equipment if i'm not sure if it will work or not. Anyone know?

why would you connect the ethernet bridge to a muti-wan router ? There is already a router which is providing access as well as being a wireless access point so a second router would only make sense if you were going to subnet and then you would need to configure the other router. You can either buy a single port ethernet bridge and then connect a switch to it to give multiple ethernet connections or buy a multiport ethernet bridge.

Ryan711
12-20-2008, 07:39 PM

why would you connect the ethernet bridge to a muti-wan router ? There is already a router which is providing access as well as being a wireless access point so a second router would only make sense if you were going to subnet and then you would need to configure the other router. You can either buy a single port ethernet bridge and then connect a switch to it to give multiple ethernet connections or buy a multiport ethernet bridge.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. You can't just plug in a bunch of "internet connections" into a switch and have them bonded, you need a multi-wan router to load balance the connections.

If I understand what you're trying to say, and if it was that easy, multi-wan routers would not exist.