PDA

View Full Version : Crabgirl, looky here!

Skiz
12-23-2008, 07:51 PM
You seem to be the resident wine expert, so I here's what I've found in the back of the pantry:

Messina Hof - Ports Of Call dessert wine from 1998

I completely forgot I had it. Is it still good? Should I let it sit for longer? Is it just right? :unsure:

JPaul
12-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Texan Wine - Texan Wine ffs. Wine, from Texas.

It beggars belief.

Rule of thumb Sky zoo, only good wine ages well. Pish doesn't get better with age. Was it good stuff or pish when you bought it.

tesco
12-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Rule of thumb Sky zoo, only good wine ages well. Pish doesn't get better with age. Was it good stuff or pish when you bought it.
I learned that from crabgirl. :yup:

Proper Bo
12-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Pish doesn't get better with age.

ewe can still make me lol once in a while tho'.

Snee
12-23-2008, 08:53 PM
You should probably keep sitting on it. Keep it warm, like.

Proper Bo
12-23-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm going to use that line, cheers snee.

Mr. Mulder
12-23-2008, 09:02 PM
You seem to be the resident wine expert, so I here's what I've found in the back of the pantry:

Messina Hof - Ports Of Call dessert wine from 1998

I completely forgot I had it. Is it still good? Should I let it sit for longer? Is it just right? :unsure:
1998!!!? I'd throw it away if i was ewe, that shits out of date :no:

JPaul
12-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Pish doesn't get better with age.

ewe can still make me lol once in a while tho'.

:lol::earl:

Jock Cockey.

JPaul
12-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Oh wait ...

Skiz
12-23-2008, 09:57 PM

It beggars belief.

There's plenty of decent wine that comes out of the hill country. :)

I don't know what this cost at the time of purchase but I would have never paid a great deal for it. It was prolly $20-30 bucks though. I don't know enough about wine to appreciate anything that costs more than that. :lol:

Skiz
12-23-2008, 09:58 PM
My question was more of, does dessert wine age well or is it best consumed closer to the release/sell date. :unsure:

JPaul
12-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Open it, if it smells like pish don't drink it.

Trust your olfactory senses.

Proper Bo
12-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Open it, if it smells like pish drink it anyway, you paid for it ffs.

fixed.

weenden
12-23-2008, 11:43 PM
as long as the it was in a cool spot and on its side some what and the cork stayed moist it should be fine ....and if its not just cook with it marinate a steak with it you texan

pentomato
12-24-2008, 01:45 AM

It beggars belief.

There's plenty of decent wine that comes out of the hill country. :)

I don't know what this cost at the time of purchase but I would have never paid a great deal for it. It was prolly $20-30 bucks though. I don't know enough about wine to appreciate anything that costs more than that. :lol:

The best wine is not the most expensive, sometimes a $6 is great.
The older the wine the better it is, so if you let it in a corner a few more years it will be great.
Never put a bottle of wine in the fridge, wine is to leave out and drinkit like that.

pentomato
12-24-2008, 01:47 AM
When wine goes bad, because of the cork, or because it was near a source of heat etc, it turns itself into vinager.

CrabGirl
12-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Best wine is not the most expensive - True.
The older a wine is the better it is - Bollocks. True for some wines but pish for others. All wine has eventual drink by dates.
Never put a bottle of wine in the fridge - Bollocks x 2 What about white wine.
When wine goes bad because of the cork or because it was near a source of heat it turns itself into Vinegar. Ummmm..... if you want to know about Wine faults I'll give you some info but thats pish also.

Skizo, Sorry I didn't see this thread. Dessert Wines generally keep well because of the high amount of residual sugar. I'm guessing it may be very good. Let me go look it up in the trade sites and I'll come back to you in a bit. Good maker though.

CrabGirl
12-24-2008, 08:46 AM
as long as the it was in a cool spot and on its side some what and the cork stayed moist it should be fine ....and if its not just cook with it marinate a steak with it you texan

Please PLEASE don't marinade a steak with Dessert wine. Ughhh....

CrabGirl
12-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Has it got a grape variety or any more info on the bottle? Does it say something like "Late Harvest" and then the grape type?

clocker
12-24-2008, 01:05 PM

Please PLEASE don't marinade a steak with Dessert wine. Ughhh....
He would never do that...every Texan knows that the only proper marinade is the blood of an Okie.

Skweeky
12-24-2008, 02:05 PM
What about champagne? The husband won himself a bottle of GH Mumm Cordon Rouge. Is it any good? Should I drink it now or leave it?

Amd why is it that champagne gives me a headache?

Biggles
12-24-2008, 02:54 PM
What about champagne? The husband won himself a bottle of GH Mumm Cordon Rouge. Is it any good? Should I drink it now or leave it?

Good Champagne (in moderation shouldn't give you a headache) That Cava stuff does though - a couple of glasses of that is a like a blow from a hammer.

Skiz
12-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Has it got a grape variety or any more info on the bottle? Does it say something like "Late Harvest" and then the grape type?

No, not really an info at all regarding the grapes or seasonal info, but it does say it was naturally fermented. That prolly doesn't help though. :unsure:

CrabGirl
12-24-2008, 04:32 PM
If its a 98 it should be fine unless its faulty. It's not going to get much better than it is now to be fair so I'd bust it open over xmas and get yer chops round it. Drink it with pudding, but make sure the pudding is not as sweet as the wine so cheesecake or something would be good.

I've found some info about that wine but none as old as yours. They do a red version and a white version. Which is yours?
Whats the alcohol content also?

CrabGirl
12-24-2008, 04:33 PM

Vintage or Non-Vintage? Does it have an NV mark or a date on it?

Proper Bo
12-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I've got bottles of stella, should I drink them now or do they get better after I've bought some more tabs?

Skweeky
12-24-2008, 06:59 PM

It's got a date and a lot number printed on the bottom but I can't make it out. It's blown into the glass.

JPaul
12-24-2008, 09:16 PM
I have a Bottle of Bollinger 1982

Well Mrs JP has if I'm being accurate. I bought it for her.

We have no intention of drinking it btw. I bought it for her in 1992 as a 10th anniversary present. It cost a pretty penny, for the time.

(At Crabby, it was actually actually an R.D. 1982 but these pheasants would know that that means)

Proper Bo
12-24-2008, 09:19 PM
ewe bought wine that was 10 years old instead of getting a new bottle?:no:

JPaul
12-24-2008, 09:22 PM
See

Proper Bo
12-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Was it on the reduced shelf in morrisons or something?

anoneemuse
12-24-2008, 09:23 PM
a wine bottle with a time bomb will work great.. hmmm like you open the cork and it blows up in t - 30 seconds

JPaul
12-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Was it on the reduced shelf in morrisons or something?

Three for a tenner in ASDA, mate.

pentomato
12-25-2008, 12:29 AM

Are you for real with the date thing?
You don't know nothing about wines, they get better with age, expiration dates do not mean nothing to wines, unless you are talking about wine coolers, those are not real wine.

Proper Bo
12-25-2008, 12:32 AM
She drinks wine for a living or something:unsure:

pentomato
12-25-2008, 01:03 AM
She drinks wine for a living or something:unsure:
You mean she is an alcoholic? lol

pentomato
12-25-2008, 01:06 AM
ewe bought wine that was 10 years old instead of getting a new bottle?:no:
You have me rolling lol lol and I am not drinking real wine, just white zinfandel lol

brotherdoobie
12-25-2008, 04:20 AM

You don't know nothing about wines, they get better with age, expiration dates do not mean nothing to wines, unless you are talking about wine coolers, those are not real wine.

You're right, lad - she doesn't know nothing about wine. She knows everything about wine.

Fact.

-bd :snooty:

Skweeky
12-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Yeah, stop dissing the Crabmeister tomato boy :angry:

CrabGirl
12-25-2008, 11:36 AM

Shut it you tard. I have many wine qualifications and work in the industry. I wasn't talking about expiration dates. I was asking whether her Champagne is vintage or non-vintage. High tannic wines such as those from Bordeaux (high tannin Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot) age well because of those tannins and the aging in oak. As they age the tannins mellow, the toasty oak changes into softer gentler oak and the fruit flavors fade and change. it might take donkeys years but eventually the fruit flavors will fade entirely and the wine become past it's best. So even long-aging wines have drink by dates on them, even if that date is 20, 30, 40 years in the future.

Other wines, such as Sauvignon Blanc are much better drunk young , literally within two years of the vintage being released. They have a zippy fresh acidity with fades with age.

So not all wines get better with age, some do, some don't. It depends on the style of wine and on the oak/tannin content.

Fuckwit.

CrabGirl
12-25-2008, 11:38 AM

We have no intention of drinking it btw. I bought it for her in 1992 as a 10th anniversary present. It cost a pretty penny, for the time.

(At Crabby, it was actually actually an R.D. 1982 but these pheasants would know that that means)

Whimper.... I'm moist.

CrabGirl
12-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Skweeks, Drink it now. It's nice, but not worth keeping.

Skweeky
12-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Meh, it's in the fridge already. As soon as the guests are here, it's getting drunk. I was only joking about keeping it. I live in Scotland. The chances of keeping a bottle containing drinkable alcohol intact in the house for any longer than 48 hours are slim to none.

pentomato
12-25-2008, 12:35 PM

Shut it you tard. I have many wine qualifications and work in the industry. I wasn't talking about expiration dates. I was asking whether her Champagne is vintage or non-vintage. High tannic wines such as those from Bordeaux (high tannin Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot) age well because of those tannins and the aging in oak. As they age the tannins mellow, the toasty oak changes into softer gentler oak and the fruit flavors fade and change. it might take donkeys years but eventually the fruit flavors will fade entirely and the wine become past it's best. So even long-aging wines have drink by dates on them, even if that date is 20, 30, 40 years in the future.

Other wines, such as Sauvignon Blanc are much better drunk young , literally within two years of the vintage being released. They have a zippy fresh acidity with fades with age.

So not all wines get better with age, some do, some don't. It depends on the style of wine and on the oak/tannin content.

Fuckwit.

You have a lot to learn Doctor Phill of the vineyars lol

Mr. Mulder
12-25-2008, 01:54 PM
i think we're all a little moranish when it comes to vineyars.

JPaul
12-25-2008, 10:28 PM

(At Crabby, it was actually an R.D. 1982 but these pheasants would know that that means)

Whimper.... I'm moist.

:lol::earl:

"actually, actually" :blink:

JPaul
12-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Meh, it's in the fridge already. As soon as the guests are here, it's getting drunk. I was only joking about keeping it. I live in Scotland. The chances of keeping a bottle containing drinkable alcohol intact in the house for any longer than 48 hours are slim to none.

Hoi, I just told you, we've got a bottle we've had for 16 years.

In other news, I'm not really a big fan of champagne but I can drink Pol Roger. We tend to get that for the celebration of anniversaries. First tried it in The Witchery in Edinburgh and Mrs JP and I both liked it. I may heave mentioned this to you chaps before, I've certainly mentioned The Witchery.

chalice
12-25-2008, 10:53 PM

You're right, lad - she doesn't know nothing about wine. She knows everything about wine.

Fact.

Two Downs make a Downs.

In this, you deny nature cos you are a fucking Flid.

I'd tell you to poke yourself in the eyeball after having grown your thumbnail for several weeks. However, I realise that the aforementioned is quite physically impossible for you, so I'll suggest asking your carer to slam your idiot fucking head in a car door instead. Merry Christmas.

Edit: The above was directed towards Pentspaz, not BD. BD plays geetar and obviously doesn't suffer the effects of pre-natal Thalidomide administration, like.

pentomato
12-25-2008, 11:57 PM

Fact.

Two Downs make a Downs.

In this, you deny nature cos you are a fucking Flid.

I'd tell you to poke yourself in the eyeball after having grown your thumbnail for several weeks. However, I realise that the aforementioned is quite physically impossible for you, so I'll suggest asking your carer to slam your idiot fucking head in a car door instead. Merry Christmas.

Edit: The above was directed towards Pentspaz, not BD. BD plays geetar and obviously doesn't suffer the effects of pre-natal Thalidomide administration, like.
Who are you insulting and why?

chalice
12-26-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm insulting you cos you're a fucking cawk.

Any more questions, spastic?

pentomato
12-26-2008, 12:19 AM

Go play at the special olympics little kid, and next time ask for permission to talk to me, if you need attention jump or nock yourself out.
Insulting anyone for not reason is something a retard would do.

chalice
12-26-2008, 12:23 AM

Go play at the special olympics little kid, and next time ask for permission to talk to me, if you need attention jump or nock yourself out.

Nope, typing words like nock instead of knock and not instead of no is what a retard would do.

Window-licker, that you are.

Edit: Please be aware that you are now deemed as the Lounge's bitch and I will shite on your fucked-up face every time you dare to post here.

And I didn't insult you for no reason. I insulted you, and will continue in that vein ad nauseum cos you insulted a very erudite friend of mine for no reason.

Cawk-spanner.

JPaul
12-26-2008, 12:48 AM

I love it when the hard of thinking become supercilious.

It's comedy gold.

chalice
12-26-2008, 12:54 AM

I love it when the hard of thinking become supercilious.

It's comedy gold.

It's my pet spastic now, mate.

Mine to slap repeatedly upside what passes as it's head, at will, at my leisure, like.

Gotta love them internets. :happy:

JPaul
12-26-2008, 01:00 AM
I love it that you are willing to share your Christmas presents.

That's the kind of guy you are.

chalice
12-26-2008, 01:07 AM
It thinks it's clever cos it tussles with the reasonable/tedious sorts in The Drawing Room.

Reasonable is for queers.

I'm a gonna eat it like a Digestive biscuit. You can have the crumbs, if you're so inclined.

pentomato
12-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Fighting behind a computer is the equivalent of participating in the special olympics.
Crying baby lol lol lol

pentomato
12-26-2008, 01:21 AM
It thinks it's clever cos it tussles with the reasonable/tedious sorts in The Drawing Room.

I'm a gonna eat it like a Digestive biscuit. You can have the crumbs, if you're so inclined.

Shut up or I will get your toys lol lol

JPaul
12-26-2008, 01:22 AM

No thanks, pal. I've eaten.

The Drawing Room, :lol:

I'm afraid I had to stop posting, or even reading there, when it became blindingly obvious that the people contributing never actually went to the bother of reading the things they were replying to.

Call me "old fashioned" but in my day that was part of the game.

JPaul
12-26-2008, 01:24 AM
Fighting behind a computer is the equivalent of participating in the special olympics.
Crying baby lol lol lol

Is that it, is that what you are playing with.

FFS Chavis, how bored are you.

pentomato
12-26-2008, 01:31 AM
Crying baby lol lol lol

I am not fighting, I am making fun of the one that insulted me.
I think that insulting anyone here because of what we write, it is childlish and stupid, that only a retard would insult anyone for not reason.
Hiding behind a computer that's really brave...

chalice
12-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Crying baby lol lol lol

So what would you call insulting a wine expert even though you don't know fuck about water, never mind wine?

That was rhetorical. I'll give you the answer...

Some fucking child who knows fuck all about fuck all except what it has read in some fictional wine guide for spastics, that's what.

Yep, there's a tear in my fucking beer for you, cunt. Especially cos you're stupid enough to think you can pick on women and not get the shit from their friends. Chicken-shit cunt.

chalice
12-26-2008, 01:42 AM

I think that insulting anyone here because of what we write, it is childlish and stupid, that only a retard would insult anyone for not reason.

You're making fun of absolutely fuck all.

If you were funny, that could possibly be a different matter.

As is, you're sad, a bully to women and a stupid cunt. Not to mention, you struggle when spelling and you have a serious problem telling the difference between 'not and 'no'.

Fuck sake, my 8 year old would piss on your grammar from a tall building.

Mong-a-long.

JPaul
12-26-2008, 01:51 AM

I didn't say you were fighting, well not to the best of my recollection. Which is normally quite good.

You did however talk patent nonsense in relation to a subject on which you were quite clearly not even remotely competent to speak. I remember that very well, I laughed at the time. The lass who is actually a wine expert pointed out just how wrong you were, in so many different ways.

In other news you did the "Hiding behind a computer that's really brave..." thing before. It was pathetic then and that hasn't changed. For the love of fuck please don't invite anyone to fight you :earl: that would just be derivative and verging on the pathetic.

JPaul
12-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Mine was much better than yours chavlord.

True story

chalice
12-26-2008, 02:01 AM
:eyebrows:

Yeah but you neglected to call it a spastic.

They've got this short term memory loss thing going on.

They need to be reminded at any given turn.

That or a baseball bat across the temple. Sadly, I can't provide the baseball bat therapy via the internets.

Skweeky
12-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Ah, this is much better than watching Eastenders or Corrie or any of that shite :yes:

Thank fuck Chavis is back to normal eh.

JPaul
12-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Normal and Chavis in the same sentence. Never thought I'd see that.

Mr. Mulder
12-26-2008, 06:17 PM
he was right yesterday about the gym being closed today, its like he's normal and can see teh future.

chalice
12-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Normal like a fox. :smilie4:

JPaul
12-26-2008, 06:37 PM
he was right yesterday about the gym being closed today, its like he's normal and can see teh future.

Chavis knew you were going to say that.

JPaul
12-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Normal like a fox. :smilie4:

It took a wee while but I saw what you did there.

Skiz
12-27-2008, 03:21 AM
If its a 98 it should be fine unless its faulty. It's not going to get much better than it is now to be fair so I'd bust it open over xmas and get yer chops round it. Drink it with pudding, but make sure the pudding is not as sweet as the wine so cheesecake or something would be good.

I've found some info about that wine but none as old as yours. They do a red version and a white version. Which is yours?

So it's ripe then? Excellent. Thanks for that.

Mine's a red. Looks like a dark red too for the dessert type.

Alcohol says 16.9%.

A portion of the description reads, "Ports Of Call is a naturally fermented dessert wine with notes of chocolate flavors. It's wonderful by itself or with any dessert, but it's best served with luscious chocolate and creamy foods or poured over vanilla ice cream."

Sounds to me like it would be good with pudding pie. I'll have to test it out after my hunting trip and report back next week. :)

Snee
12-27-2008, 11:30 AM

If by tussles you mean gets outwitted, trolled, toyed with, laughed at, and looked down on or just plain ignored, then yes, yes, it does tussle with people in the drawing room.

Actually, come to think of it, the only one of any note at all I've seen respond to it on a regular basis is frikkin J2.

Personally, I reckon it's one of them things who aren't worth even making fun of. Which is a sad, sad state of affairs for an it to be in.

Snee
12-27-2008, 11:33 AM
It probably loves any attention, anyways.

JPaul
12-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Sounds to me like it would be good with pudding pie. I'll have to test it out after my hunting trip and report back next week. :)

What in heaven's name is "pudding pie", SkyZoo.

Skiz
12-27-2008, 04:42 PM
It's great stuff. Here's a pic. It has a consistency of something like cheesecake.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/assets/recipe_images/Chocolate_Pudding_Pie.jpg

1-1/2 cups cold milk
4 oz. chocolate pudding
1 OREO Pie Crust (6 oz.)
2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, divided

POUR milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk 2 min. or until well blended. Spoon half of the pudding into crust.
GENTLY stir 1 cup of the whipped topping into remaining pudding; spoon over pudding layer in crust.

CrabGirl
12-27-2008, 06:46 PM

So it's ripe then? Excellent. Thanks for that.

Mine's a red. Looks like a dark red too for the dessert type.

Alcohol says 16.9%.

A portion of the description reads, "Ports Of Call is a naturally fermented dessert wine with notes of chocolate flavors. It's wonderful by itself or with any dessert, but it's best served with luscious chocolate and creamy foods or poured over vanilla ice cream."

If it's a red then, and still ok, that should be lovely. It'll taste a little like an old port, but slightly sweeter, with raisin and maybe walnut or spice flavours depending on how it's aged. I personally think it'll be nice but let us know....I'm intrigued.

chalice
12-28-2008, 10:53 PM

If by tussles you mean gets outwitted, trolled, toyed with, laughed at, and looked down on or just plain ignored, then yes, yes, it does tussle with people in the drawing room.

Actually, come to think of it, the only one of any note at all I've seen respond to it on a regular basis is frikkin J2.

Personally, I reckon it's one of them things who aren't worth even making fun of. Which is a sad, sad state of affairs for an it to be in.

I've been actively ignoring it for months. It just happened to step beyond its bounds this time.

I was acutely aware of its fuckery, but it seemed to me that other, more refined types, were poking at it with toothpicks, when what it needed was a heavy blow with a studded hammer.

If it enjoys the attention, it certainly doesn't seem to have arisen to it. As mentioned in another thread, it's the quickest hounding ever. Hardly even a morsel. Tail between its legs wouldn't be in it, like.

A quadriplegic, illiterate, wannabe troll, if you will.

Skweeky
12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Awww, chavis, you are still calling the fucktards 'it' instead of 'she'. :wub:

Skiz
01-10-2009, 03:44 AM
:(

I drank a half a glass and poured the rest out. I don't think it was "bad" but it tasted like shit and was seconded by the missus.

Snee
01-10-2009, 06:12 PM
but it tasted like shit and was seconded by the missus.

Quoted for posterity.

:blink:

Skiz
01-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I was saying that the missus agreed. Reads fine to me. :snooty:

Snee
01-10-2009, 06:29 PM
That's funny, cos what it reads like is that it tasted like crap and she either helped it do that, endorsed it, or tastes a bit worse.

Snee
01-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Poor her :no:

Skiz
01-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Lost in translation I suppose. :)

Snee
01-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Possibly. Maybe it's a local thing. Where you are, like.

I was sort of hoping for #3, though.