PDA

View Full Version : Why do you torrent?

Cheeseman1208
12-28-2008, 10:50 PM
The question is simple: what motivates you to download and share files, even if it is considered illegal or unethical?

LJ.
12-28-2008, 10:58 PM
I got a better question, why is my nickname fknpoewnd ?

0Ri0N
12-28-2008, 10:58 PM
self-improvement (if P2P does not exist i wouldn't access so many things since im not rich. Yes Movies/Music/Software/games/ebooks etc etc are expensive) and its always more interesting share knowledge with other people.

teflon05
12-28-2008, 11:18 PM
I picked "other". I dl movies, appz & music mainly because the prices are MUCH more than they should be (at least in the US) & there's a much larger selection to choose from. And, I'm lazy & this way I don't have to leave the house :whistling

Popov
12-28-2008, 11:19 PM
because im too lzy and too poor to bye movies and CDs

ben99
12-28-2008, 11:22 PM
partly because its so fast and convenient. You can get music/games/movies before they even hit stores!

Another reason is that I'd rather spend my money on other things. :/

mrnobody
12-28-2008, 11:25 PM
illegal or unethical? :blink:

LeBronJames
12-28-2008, 11:37 PM

howdy squirr3l, I don't think he was insinuating that the two are necessarily related in any way, but I could be wrong.... :huh:

hof
12-28-2008, 11:38 PM
because it's fun :)

Cheeseman1208
12-28-2008, 11:42 PM
That's how it is viewed by the outside world. Try having a discussion about file-sharing with somebody, you'll find that it is very hard to justify your position when the person thinks you are stealing money from companies or artists that deserve it.

Kyokushin
12-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Because in my 3rd world country prices are, básically, 4 times what they should be. I'm just adding balance to the universe.

Cabalo
12-29-2008, 12:21 AM
i use it because i could never be able to afford all the pc games i wished to play.
and then i found out i could find a lot of movies too !
and even later i realised that my favourite songs could be downloaded too.
and one day i also saw that i had no need to use linux when i could use latest windows versions, including the expensive Server series.

and it goes on and on.

Artemis
12-29-2008, 12:41 AM
I could right some long fluffy reply about how it is the companies not the artists that make the money and I am fighting media shifting etc, but the truth for me is alot more basic. I live in a small country and quite often the DVDrip will hit a tracker before the movie is released in theaters here and the prices are astronomical. I think of torrenting as my fuck you at the media companies which penalise me heavily for not living in America.

alcoholik
12-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Free music/movies/games

PACINO
12-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Free music/movies/games

vpg8000
12-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Free shit. Plus all these cool trackers and the challenge of having good ratio kind of makes it even more interesting.

piratebot
12-29-2008, 01:35 AM
free shit. if i can get media for cheap prices then i consider that.

DVito
12-29-2008, 01:41 AM
I would rather not spend my money on these things. And just like another poster in the topic, too lazy to go and buy things. :)

Frolsa84
12-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Free movies/TV shows/games. Lack of available material. Hassle of ordering online.

respawn40
12-29-2008, 01:49 AM
I download because of the large variety that is offered - whether it be format, quality, or wide selection of things that you would be hard pressed to find elsewhere.

I also don't see the problem with artists/whatever making less money - they're already richer than need be. I'm not fueling their drug addiction/hookers/golden-plated toilets/pricey champagne/multiple mansions/thousand-dollar haircuts, etc.

Not having to pay (except in bandwidth/time/seedboxes/whatever), isn't too bad, either ;)

EDIT: And it's simply easier to download things. There's no hassle, little waiting, and everything is ready to go.

Funkin'
12-29-2008, 01:58 AM
I do it for free shit. Nothing more.

Samurai84
12-29-2008, 02:17 AM
because i like the spirit that is envolv

puckface
12-29-2008, 02:25 AM
I do it for free shit. Nothing more.

Yes, free shit rules.

mrnobody
12-29-2008, 02:26 AM
That's how it is viewed by the outside world. Try having a discussion about file-sharing with somebody, you'll find that it is very hard to justify your position when the person thinks you are stealing money from companies or artists that deserve it.

- torrenting isn't worldwide illegal though. Many countries actually allow torrenting - at least torrenting of foreign stuff...and there are bunch who come from one of those fs friendly countries.

- i have heard people say "isn't that [torrent] illegal?" buncha time irl, but never heard anyone say "torrenting is unethical". It would be awkward if one did anyway.

- funny stuff i never encountered a single person who said torrenting is stealing money from companies. There were a few who said artists deserve money though.

interwebz
12-29-2008, 02:26 AM
because i couldnt afford the ship.

Eargasm
12-29-2008, 02:37 AM
The selection, the quantity, and the quality... It's like having Library of Alexandria right at your fingertips.

martondvn
12-29-2008, 03:21 AM
Because I don't like to pay for the media. For example, from a 20 USD CD (which is, currently, more than 10% the minimum salary in my country), I don't believe more than 1 goes to the artist. The rest goes to the label company, media company, the store, transportation company, package company, not to mention taxes and other indirect costs. That´s to pay for something that is not the real musics.
I have no interest in a plastic disc, in a plastic box, or a paper cover art. My interest, when I download an album, is for the music, so why should I pay for everything else? I have some originals CDs that stopped working. This means the media is not so good, so why do I have to pay for it?
The same goes for DVDs, books, TV shows, and so on.
These companies have to find new ways of putting their products on the market.
For instance, you can watch every episode of south park on their web site for free, and they get some money from advertisement. The Monty Python crew is putting some of theirs stuff on youtube and, the same way, plan on gaining from publicity with their videos.
There´s tons of ways of getting money from these stuff, apart from selling the media. Music artists can get way more money from concerts than on cd sales, movie companies can get money from theater exhibitions (maybe some less money than now, but the movie price can go way down if they don't give some 40 million to Brad Pitt or something), and so on...
About the companies losing money, when they show the numbers, it looks to me that they are always assuming that every copy of something that you download, you would have bought if not being able to download. This is a narrow thinking and hides the real problem. In my country, more than 95% of Windows copies are pirated. That´s not because you can find a cheaper copy on the streets or the internet, but because these 95% don't have the money to buy a real copy. If they didn't have the option to get a pirated copy of Windows, they would just migrate to Linux or something else, or even yet, not use a computer at all. Thinking this way, I can not really see how they are losing money for downloads or piracy, since they wont get it any other way...
All this huge text is just to show my point of view about the subject. I torrent because I don't agree with the current system that tries to obligate me to pay for a lot of products without an option (the media and all that puts costs into it).

cinephilia
12-29-2008, 03:38 AM
i only dl open-license stuff and i never infringe copyright :hypocrite

meelad
12-29-2008, 03:50 AM
to download linux isos

Cheeseman1208
12-29-2008, 04:23 PM
- torrenting isn't worldwide illegal though. Many countries actually allow torrenting - at least torrenting of foreign stuff...and there are bunch who come from one of those fs friendly countries.

- i have heard people say "isn't that [torrent] illegal?" buncha time irl, but never heard anyone say "torrenting is unethical". It would be awkward if one did anyway.

- funny stuff i never encountered a single person who said torrenting is stealing money from companies. There were a few who said artists deserve money though.
Judging from the flag on your profile, I would assume you are from Germany? Where I live (the USA), if you try to talk to someone about file-sharing, they plug they're ears and say "I don't want to know." It reminds of the novel 1984 in the sense that people are afraid to even talk or think about file-sharing in fear of the "thought police." Now, granted, there are people that don't give a damn, and there are others that openly admit to file-sharing, but the majority of population see it as an "underground" activity at the same level as hacking or money-laundering.

Crutavv
12-29-2008, 04:46 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/f5bvwh.png
-
for feeling that they have less money, fuck da system, cyber riots :happy:

cinephilia
12-29-2008, 04:56 PM
for feeling that they have less money, fuck da system, cyber riots :happy:
actually, system fuck you more than you fuck it :rolleyes:

Swift
12-29-2008, 04:58 PM
everything is free and you can get it fast and at high qualitty and with good speeds

mrnobody
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM

Judging from the flag on your profile, I would assume you are from Germany? Where I live (the USA), if you try to talk to someone about file-sharing, they plug they're ears and say "I don't want to know." It reminds of the novel 1984 in the sense that people are afraid to even talk or think about file-sharing in fear of the "thought police." Now, granted, there are people that don't give a damn, and there are others that openly admit to file-sharing, but the majority of population see it as an "underground" activity at the same level as hacking or money-laundering.

- You assume that i live in Germany.

- You assume that i don't live in States.

- You assume (at least it sounds that way) that i have never talked to someone else aboot fs.

- You assume that most see filesharing as unethical.

- You assume that most view file-sharing as hacking or money laundering.

- You assume that people are "to even talk or think about fs in fear of the "thought police."

=> You assume too much.

...and the poll is pretty predictable :dabs:

cinephilia
12-29-2008, 06:33 PM
i assume that you're a squirrel but i'm pretty sure you need some nutz!

Cheeseman1208
12-29-2008, 06:44 PM
:lol:

- You assume (at least it sounds that way) that i have never talked to someone else aboot fs.

- You assume that people are "to even talk or think about fs in fear of the "thought police."

=> You assume too much.

And you are assuming that I am assuming! The only assumption I made is that you live in Germany. The rest are observations of what I have heard when talking with people in the eastern half of the USA. I didn't pull that out of my ass, as that is the general impression I get when I talk to people about file-sharing here. Those are NOT assumptions by any stretch of the imagination, rather first hand accounts of what I see daily.

And I stand by my point that the general public does see file-sharing as unethical or suspicious behavior. It may be seen differently in more progressive social environments(colleges, universities, etc.), but the general public sees it as a crime to share files on the internet (thus, it has been labeled unethical). If you live in the United States, you need to seriously wake up. File-sharing is indeed a crime here, punishable by hefty fines and jail time, and it is treated as such by the public.

interwebz
12-29-2008, 07:22 PM
and i assume that both of you like big fat juicy cocks in ur mouths...

< like that one

CaptanAmerica
12-29-2008, 07:31 PM
i dont use torrents, they use me :(:dabs:

FLEA
12-29-2008, 07:39 PM
because free pronz? :w00t:

mrnobody
12-29-2008, 08:09 PM
:lol:

=> You assume too much.

And you are assuming that I am assuming! The only assumption I made is that you live in Germany. The rest are observations...

"Try having a discussion about file-sharing with somebody"

I would say you were ASSUMING that i never had such convo with anyone, at least it sounds that way.

If you live in the United States, you need to seriously wake up. File-sharing is indeed a crime here, punishable by hefty fines and jail time, and it is treated as such by the public.

I would say you were assuming again. You make it sound like i don't know anything aboot filesharing in States. :blink:

"To take a stand sgainst 'injustices' like DRM"

can't help but are you a politician or something? lol don't answer that one xD

FatBob
12-29-2008, 08:18 PM
it was a means to get new movies in the begining, but thats just the tip of the iceberg ..

believe it or not , torrenting was like a whole new education system for me ..

it exposed me to a whole new world, different cultures

some documentries which i have downloaded via p2p even changed my whole perception of life .if it wasnt for torrents i would even come to know of those documentries . .. damn i love documentries

p2p is like real education for free, if you not just stick to 0day releases

#Palestinian#
12-29-2008, 08:37 PM
For more than 90% , it's for easy to get stuff and the rest are looking for having fun and wasting time :D

StrawDog17
12-30-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm a cheap bastard and love music and movies too much.

Cradle
12-30-2008, 02:13 AM
free is cheap

lostdemon
12-30-2008, 02:19 AM
I torrent because I can't afford all the games I play and music I listen to. I also torrent for my little nephews that like to watch cartoons and the rest of my family or friends that want to watch a certain movie.

Albo Da Kid
12-30-2008, 02:22 AM
It's a way of life now. Whenever im home and theres nothing to do i come check on the torrent situation. For me it's a hobby and for some others it's a business. You'd be surprised at how many people make money of this stuff.

nbo
12-30-2008, 03:28 AM
why not?

AWESOMENess
12-30-2008, 03:48 AM
If there was a option that said "CHEAP!" I would've voted.

fox92
12-30-2008, 06:13 AM
1st, things here are very expensive to buy, softwares movies games that is. 2nd you can get them way before they reach here and 3rd i like downloading!

Albo Da Kid
12-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Why not???? >>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt4BpnfAN-o

Look at what happens when you try to be a good fella.
The system fcuks you over. Id rather tell them to go fcuk themselves than feel sorry for myself.

iheartfiles
12-30-2008, 07:15 AM
I like to consume files.

Sylar666
12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
It's mainly fun. And rest assured a kind of addiction as well. U can resist everything, but temptation: Whenever You try to quit, You're just to be pulled back in.

KushBlow
12-30-2008, 10:33 AM
i chose because I'm sexy :P

Der0
12-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Because i prefer to buy some other sh*t with the money i eventualy am going to give for licenced Music or Games..

slacker
12-30-2008, 11:41 AM
cuz I can't afford buying all the music and movies I like :D

digmen1
12-30-2008, 09:02 PM
I think that it is stealing. But I do it, beacsue I like getting songs, and movies etc.

It would help if as one guy said they did not pay Brad Pritt $40,000,000 per movie. No body is worth that much (even Halle Berry !) That would bring movie prices down, and movie tickets which is very expensive.

Swift
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
cuz I can't afford buying all the music and movies I like :D

thats one way to put it :lol:

benficao
12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
its faster, cheaper, and i can get stuff that i cant buy in shops in my country.

ex: daft punk first album, i had to order it from france, cause in my country the album didint exist!!!!!

tvshows air 2 years before the USA!!!!
i have to pay 50euros for cable tv if i whant to see prison break or heroes, and dexter is only in season 1 !!!!

and so on...

ggsir
12-30-2008, 09:18 PM
It is convenient and cheap...i cant afford to buy 10 movies per week lol

12-31-2008, 01:37 AM
for movies, music and for fun.
best and cheapest solution

laojian
12-31-2008, 06:46 AM
just becuz its funny,and get some sourse from it,something exspecially cant find on other site
i can get most of what i need ,but torrent has lots of fun,ahaha

Sanka113
12-31-2008, 09:50 AM
I pirate because I like free stuff. It's like going on a media shopping spree everyday. WEEEEEEEEEE!

KushBlow
12-31-2008, 09:51 AM
because i live in a box? :naughty:

BlackBird_
12-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Because I don't have a life... :cry:

johny1
12-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Freedom.

Sonnentier
12-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Because it's free :D

I won't accept the demand copyright holders claim.

cao
12-31-2008, 10:31 PM
"There's no penalty for it."

I'm serious, there isn't.

Although the choices aren't mutually exclusive, I wanted to choose the one that was probably chosen the least. Looks like I was right. :shifty: