PDA

View Full Version : Astraweb retention being increased to 270 days

unoriginal
01-01-2009, 05:53 AM
http://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=12

Astraweb Announces Retention Upgrade to 270 Days

Astraweb is pleased to announce that we have just completed an infrastructure upgrade to increase our retention and improve our network.

Our retention is currently growing towards 270 days from 160 days. The latest retention statistics as our retention grows is available at:

http://www.news.astraweb.com/tools/stats.html

Our retention growth is for ALL groups. Our retention growth also includes headers, unlike many other services that do not include headers as part of their retention growth.

Along with our retention upgrade, Astraweb is also committed to provide the best network connectivity. As such, we have signed a new agreement with Level 3. The majority of our traffic will now be sent via Level 3, one of the best Tier 1 providers in the world!

Astraweb is committed to providing the best value service!

seh
01-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Wow, great news, thanks!:naughty:
Happy New Year to everyone btw!

dutchmaster420
01-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Amazing:)!!!

Happy New Year

piratebot
01-01-2009, 07:52 AM
wow that's crazy :yahoo:

quadomatic
01-01-2009, 08:04 AM
WOW

Now I don't think there is ANY reason to stick with Giganews anymore.

Windy72
01-01-2009, 12:41 PM
That looks impressive now we wait for the Giganews response. Will we finally get 365 days of retention.

asmithz
01-01-2009, 02:06 PM
$11/ month for 270 day retention, crazy, just crazy good news.

UsenetGuy
01-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Holy fucking shit, i'm speechless. :D

technovert
01-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Retention is growing at a rate someday when we want to see classic films and play classic games we may download the original usenet post. Its rather astonishing when you consider the growth of usenet in recent years as far as the overall feed size that they are able to continue to scale their servers to hold so much information.

222MHz
01-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I liked it better when it was ... huh? what's this usenet? What goes up, must come down... Tragic.

-bzzzz-

xuxoxux
01-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Hummm. I am definitely looking forward to this. :)

basilhaydens
01-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Fantastic!!

rippinitup4fun
01-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Great news.

Skiz
01-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Considering how cheap storage has become, this shouldn't be much of a shock.

Perhaps Giganews will extend their retention or drop prices?

basilhaydens
01-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Giganews to 300+ is my bet.

rippinitup4fun
01-02-2009, 04:45 AM
Giganews to 300+ is my bet.

Agreed.

They need to do something to keep justifying the extra 15-20 dollars more per month that they charge for unlimited accounts.

Beck38
01-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Considering how cheap storage has become, this shouldn't be much of a shock.

Perhaps Giganews will extend their retention or drop prices?

With others also extending their storage, I see a price war on the near horizon.

The cost of storage, particularly with SATA drives, continues it's downward spiral. Prices now are breaching < $100/terabyte, I just bought two 1.5T at less than that level ($140).

So the next 'level' will be 365 days retention, it's almost within an easy shot right now. But every once in a while I do a 'sight check' on GN retention, and they're still 'ramping up' on the popular binary groups, still quite a bit short on retention there (last check a couple weeks ago showed around 170+ days).

Sova
01-02-2009, 02:49 PM
All in all it's all good for us consumers. Some healthy competition is a good thing.
I've been an Astraweb user for a year now and I'm very satisfied with their services.

All i can say is Astraweb FTW :D.

llama85
01-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Wonder if a price increase will follow? I'm glad i got in at 11$/ Month

222MHz
01-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I think I might jump in today.. Need to go get a 'gift' visa for internet transactions..

Beck38
01-02-2009, 09:34 PM
I think I might jump in today.. Need to go get a 'gift' visa for internet transactions..

Astraweb was my 'second' back in the day that I chased after fills (i.e., before I 'bit the bullet' and paid the bucks for GN). Still have quite a bit of 'leftovers' from my last bulk purchase (several years ago).

But a few months ago, had some leftover monies on a gift card I tried to use to get a bit more from Astraweb, and their site would simply not accept it; not that it was something out of the ordinary, it was a BofA Gift Card, the biggest in the industry (at that time). But their site still wouldn't accept it.

Virtually all the 'Gift Card' purveyors (BofA has since gotten out of the business, btw), require tons of private information, virtually as bad as getting a credit card. There are a handful left that don't, but you have to really dig around without giving up your 'first born'.

They supposedly are 'accepting' paypal, so if you already have that set up (eBay, etc.), then maybe it's a way to go.

quadomatic
01-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Wonder if a price increase will follow? I'm glad i got in at 11$/ Month

Yup, so am I.

Everybody better get on it before they drop the deal. The price won't increase for current $11/month subscribers.

mbucari1
01-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Looks like I'm too late. It's $15/month now.

EyeBaller
01-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Looks like I'm too late. It's $15/month now.

Not if you click the link http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

222MHz
01-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Well fuck.. I went a got a $25 card.. I was going for astraweb, but they don't seem to like the 'gift' cards AMEX from BoA.. But guess who didn't care.. Yup, Giganews.. So until I decide to get a bank account again and welcome myself out of SSL and back to the grid, I'll be happy to pay a couple bucks more for peace of mind.

Regardless I'm glad to be done with fucking Easynews..

UsenetGuy
01-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Well fuck.. I went a got a $25 card.. I was going for astraweb, but they don't seem to like the 'gift' cards AMEX from BoA.. But guess who didn't care.. Yup, Giganews.. So until I decide to get a bank account again and welcome myself out of SSL and back to the grid, I'll be happy to pay a couple bucks more for peace of mind.

Regardless I'm glad to be done with fucking Easynews..

Technically, it's not astraweb that didn't like the gift card.. it's their payment processor. I'm guessing you just clicked the Buy Now button? that takes you to 2checkout.
They also use other payment processors though, if you used the special kleverig offer, you'll see at the bottom of the page it says: Dutch Users pay with iDeal here. You could try that, they also accept AMEX, ignore the part about dutch users, just change the country on the payment page :P

If you're doing one of the normal plans, the iDeal link will be on the left side of the page :)

222MHz
01-03-2009, 02:48 AM
There's an idea for next month..

Gekko
01-03-2009, 03:33 AM
amazing news, yeah atm. there is no reason to stay with giganews, paying the extra 15 a month is getting kinda costly for me, already canceled giganews so at the next invoice, astraweb here i come! +D

222MHz
01-03-2009, 03:39 AM
I emailed Giganews questioning the competitors announcements.. The reply was
"Please keep an eye on our website, should be an update there shortly..."Less than 2 hours ago.. Time shall tell.

Funkin'
01-03-2009, 03:52 AM
Holy shit is all I can say. I wonder how long it will take for them to start increasing.

Nice to see Astraweb starting to step it up.

222MHz
01-03-2009, 04:08 AM
The real issue comes down to price over retention, we will hit a wall, if we haven't already where retention becomes a non-issue with quickly available reposts. While advertised retention is one thing, actual retention of the physical data on all possible drives (in the world) is an entire different retention. 10 years ago there were 1/2 the personal computers on the planet. 10 years ago, it would have made a shit load of sense of who could hold on to what the longest. TODAY, however it only matters who can give me close to the socially accepted window of 'it's still being passed around' before a repost is requesonested.. Case in point, member "Broken" was in search of Cars 2006 this week.. We'll at first is didn't look available, but mentioned here and another member got working on an upload intending to publish the nzb, because he still had it on HIS disk. Giving usenet another year to try to forget about it. SO, as older files can not grow in size and todays bandwidth and disk sizes do, retention should be the least of our concerns.

Same with connection, although as bandwidth goes up our connection might need to aswell.. But 20 connection is WAY more than enough for 95% or residential customers.

ifelder
01-03-2009, 04:16 AM
this is good news as i just signed up !

mbucari1
01-03-2009, 04:34 PM
So are astraweb's speeds consistently high, or do they fluctuate a lot? Giganews will max out my 6.5mbps connection 24/7.

UsenetGuy
01-03-2009, 04:41 PM
So are astraweb's speeds consistently high, or do they fluctuate a lot? Giganews will max out my 6.5mbps connection 24/7.

All depends on the route it takes from the server to you, that is the main thing that affects you're speed. Use the reverse traceroute utility on the site to check it. http://www.news.astraweb.com/tools/tracepub.cgi

Though I think you will easily be able to reach 6.5Mb/s without fluctuation (or minor fluctuation). I've seen 62Mb/s with minor fluctuation (but that's normal for speed that high) :)

dutchmaster420
01-03-2009, 05:49 PM
i have 30mb download speed and it constantly maxes out on astraweb

vipervin
01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I've been happy with Astraweb so far. Their block size downloads are perfect for me. And now their increased retention is an awesome plus.

wespog
01-04-2009, 06:00 AM
I'm not sure if this was always the case, but if you go directly to their site it is $15/month for DSL unlimited, or $39/3 months. But if you click on the advertisements the special is for $11/month.

Link to $11 special: http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

I signed up today for Astraweb. I would have done so without the increase over Giganews. The increase is a bonus.
Nothing against Giganews, just too pricey for their unlimited plans.

asmithz
01-04-2009, 06:40 AM
I emailed Giganews questioning the competitors announcements.. The reply was
"Please keep an eye on our website, should be an update there shortly..."Less than 2 hours ago.. Time shall tell.

It really doesn't even matter how high their retention goes. 270 is more then enough for anyone to get what they need. The price is a big problem, I don't know how they can justify charging more then almost all other competitors.

MultiForce
01-04-2009, 03:38 PM
I emailed Giganews questioning the competitors announcements.. The reply was Less than 2 hours ago.. Time shall tell.

It really doesn't even matter how high their retention goes. 270 is more then enough for anyone to get what they need. The price is a big problem, I don't know how they can justify charging more then almost all other competitors.

I want more if I can get it.

And I don't really see a problem in paying $20-$30. This is just pocket money anyway.

xuxoxux
01-04-2009, 04:49 PM

I want more if I can get it.

And I don't really see a problem in paying $20-$30. This is just pocket money anyway.

Mehh, I think at a certain point retention becomes all the same.....
I personally dont care when it goes over 250 because all the stuff posted then is out of date for me anyway. ( Apps )
Although I can see it for other stuff too ( movies, games, music ).

grishnakh
01-04-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm all for a increase in usenet retention. Even though most stuff gets reposted quite quickly, there is always something perverse or bizarre that is posted only that one time, and that extra retention increases your chances in getting it.

Windy72
01-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I have given it some thought and will probably ditch giganews end of my billing cycle. But I got a couple weeks left just interested in their response. I am low level user if they throw in free SSL I may just stay save the effort of signing elsewhere to save a few pence... Competition is good.. Cmon giga what you going to offer..

xuxoxux
01-05-2009, 01:37 AM
I have given it some thought and will probably ditch giganews end of my billing cycle. But I got a couple weeks left just interested in their response. I am low level user if they throw in free SSL I may just stay save the effort of signing elsewhere to save a few pence... Competition is good.. Cmon giga what you going to offer..

It is logical if giganews were to lower prices or increase retention. I would think the lower prices has a better chance of going though, if anything.

If they also increase retention, given a another year or so, adds will be like this:

*******News:
$0.25 / Month
4,000 SSL Connections
33 Years Retention
Unlimited Speed/Downloads

jbloggs
01-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Its been 160 days for a while now. Wonder they will start increasing.

Funkin'
01-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm sure the increasing will start fairly soon.

I'm really eager to see what Giganews is going to come back. I think they need to work on their prices right now and not their retention. Even if they up retention to 300(or whatever), why would you pay that much more Giganews? Astraweb has become a huge contender because of their price. And with this new retention, more and more are going to sign up with them.

humchu
01-05-2009, 09:40 PM
In addition to lowering prices, giganews should implement block pricing as well.

Most giganews value seems to be in their unlimited plans,

Subscription may work well in the US where bandwidth is quite cheap but in countries where isp's offer low download quota it is much cheaper to buy a astraweb block and use it over say three months than it is to subscribe a low end giganews plan for three months

Moves like that this would encourage people without an unlimited internet connection to try giganews

EyeBaller
01-06-2009, 01:56 AM
In addition to lowering prices, giganews should implement block pricing as well.

Most giganews value seems to be in their unlimited plans,

Subscription may work well in the US where bandwidth is quite cheap but in countries where isp's offer low download quota it is much cheaper to buy a astraweb block and use it over say three months than it is to subscribe a low end giganews plan for three months

Moves like that this would encourage people without an unlimited internet connection to try giganews

270 days unlimited Astraweb for $11 with a backup block account with 365 days retention on Giganews would be the ultimate set up!

:drool:

Broken
01-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Giganews already has plans for an expansion of it's retention "well past 240 days" (http://www.giganews.com/news/article/newsfeed-growth.html).

But Astraweb's price,
that nearly unbeatable. I just hope their member base doesn't grow beyond their network's capabilities like Usenetsever did last year.

seh
01-06-2009, 03:55 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. Not like I really need the extra 90 days retention right NOW, but still.. :shifty:

rippinitup4fun
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. Not like I really need the extra 90 days retention right NOW, but still.. :shifty:

I emailed them and asked and got the following respopnse:

Hi

The retention should reach 270 days in 110 days time (160 + 110 days).

Thank you for using Astraweb!

Looks like they are increasing it literally 1 day at a time.

basilhaydens
01-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I presumed it was obvious that that retention increases henceforth, i.e. if XYZ is on the server aged 160 days, they would retain that for an additional 110 days going forward.

jbloggs
01-06-2009, 06:43 PM

I emailed them and asked and got the following respopnse:

Hi

The retention should reach 270 days in 110 days time (160 + 110 days).

Thank you for using Astraweb!Looks like they are increasing it literally 1 day at a time.

Thanks for that info.

Windy72
01-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Looks like they are increasing it literally 1 day at a time.

Then I will stick with Giganews for time being. Giganews website:

Giganews has grown to over 240 days of binary retention, the highest retention available from any Usenet server!

EyeBaller
01-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I presumed it was obvious that that retention increases henceforth, i.e. if XYZ is on the server aged 160 days, they would retain that for an additional 110 days going forward.

I agree. I'm not sure how they would grow retention any faster than "real-time" .. they're not gonna recover overwritten files on their servers...

Then I will stick with Giganews for time being.

Just hope the Astraweb $11 deal doesn't expire.. Who knows when they'll pull it..

Funkin'
01-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Even if they pull the $11 a month deal(which I'm sure they will, it's stated it's a limited offer), I just hope they'll keep the $39 for 3 months deal.

xuxoxux
01-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Even if they pull the $11 a month deal(which I'm sure they will, it's stated it's a limited offer), I just hope they'll keep the $39 for 3 months deal.

I am not placing any solid bets as to what will happen to the $11 offer, but it seems to be a very long limited time offer.
( 3 months for $39 is a very nice price for me too! )

h1pp0
01-16-2009, 09:28 PM
I had astraweb for a while now and love them. Haven't had any connectivity issues the only thing is that even though they announced the upgrade to 270 days I still get partial missing pieces for files around 160 days old (thier old retention period). Other then that, $11/mo WITH SSL for more then 1/2 the price of giganews is a real good deal!

quadomatic
01-17-2009, 02:13 AM
If you're worried about the $11 deal disappearing, then jump on it now! As long as you subscribed under the deal, it'll always be that price for you.

LarsCS
01-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Astraweb has been really great for me. I usually do not need 270 days but sometimes it is helpful.

pyr0000
01-28-2009, 03:41 AM
has anyone else noticed astraweb being slow?

Skiz
01-28-2009, 03:55 AM
The "Limited time" statement might even be a marketing ploy to get users to sign up immediately. They might not have any intention of ever upping the price.

I mean, look at infomercials - they say "Order now while supplies last!", or "this is a limited time offer!" and the same commercial runs for a year.

asmithz
01-28-2009, 04:12 AM
The "Limited time" statement might even be a marketing ploy to get users to sign up immediately. They might not have any intention of ever upping the price.

I mean, look at infomercials - they say "Order now while supplies last!", or "this is a limited time offer!" and the same commercial runs for a year.

That could be true, and I think it is. But I have had a conversation with one of the admins awhile back about how it was limited. But that was like 7 months ago. So yea, I think it is just a marketing ploy too.

basilhaydens
01-28-2009, 05:56 PM
That's probably true. I like the commercials with the timer already counting down the best.

I wonder how well kleverig.nl has done with that link being spread around and everyone signing up for $11/mo...

dutchmaster420
02-03-2009, 06:13 PM
looks like retention is up to about 177 days...anything over that all the files are incomplete...im guessing there not going to update their website until 200d

Mystic
02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I grabbed some DVDRs today that were 181 days old.

dutchmaster420
02-04-2009, 01:57 PM
yea looks like in the main dvd groups 181 can be had...in a.b.g.wii it was at about 177days...i can grab stuff close to 200days but everyfile will be incomplete where as it use to just say article not found be4 they started the upgrade

KultNavn
02-04-2009, 04:12 PM
wow, 270 days is nice. Considering switching to astraweb now. Low prices as well.

sassan
02-08-2009, 05:08 PM
I have been trying to figure out what the retention is right now, and I belive that the retention is at 180 days as of today and growing.

dutchmaster420
02-09-2009, 11:23 PM
there website rentention stats now says 180 days

sassan
02-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Im getting 183 and more on some groups :)

Best 11$'s spent.

piratebot
02-10-2009, 07:10 AM
time to change some of my settings to 180

hasu
02-11-2009, 02:02 PM
here is all usenet providers reviews. ;)
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/usenet-providers.html

dutchmaster420
02-20-2009, 08:28 PM
190:)

sassan
02-22-2009, 10:29 PM
190:)

It's actually 194, but being advertised for 190 :D still awesome.

dutchmaster420
02-23-2009, 03:09 AM
well its going up by 1 a day so it should be by 200 by end of week

Overlord
02-23-2009, 09:50 AM
This is fantastic news. I'll switch either the end of this monthly cycle or next. Giganews does not have 240-day retention across the board, in fact it's not even close it's closer to 200 days in some newsgroups. Now I don't even trust them to really have 200+ day stuff. So after almost 10 years (yes, 10!) with Giganews, it's see ya later! I love competition.

timdafweak
02-23-2009, 04:19 PM
I am a Giganews subscriber, and am switching to Astraweb at the end of the current billing cycle (in about 3 days). I'm so psyched at being able to indulge in my obsession for a lot less per month (just about half!), without losing any significant retention. Giganews has been great for me, however at the current price I pay per month, it is kind of hard to justify it to the wife.

Windy72
02-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Now a proud astrawebber!:D
Giganews lets face it has been a little slow to respond. Users must be leaving in droves.

pbjabba
02-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Man astraweb is awesome :D Slightly cheaper than my old provider AND with an extra 90 days retention (so far... ;))

sassan
02-28-2009, 06:27 AM
200 :)

dutchmaster420
02-28-2009, 08:16 PM
200 :)

Nice:)