PDA

View Full Version : ESiR Releases Hit or Miss w/DXVA

Reku
01-04-2009, 11:43 PM
I read on this forum a few months ago that ESiR releases are preferred by the majority of posters. I downloaded quite a few and have come across a common problem. With DXVA enabled, certain movies will not play, or will play with severe visual artifacts. My setup has the MPC h264 filter as the preferred decoder and the Cyberlink PDVD8 as the backup. I use both MPC home cinema and Vista Media Center for playback. The Windows XP system has a Geforce 8800 GTS, while the Vista system uses an integrated Geforce 9400. On non DXVA compliant MKV encodes, the MPC filter will disable itself and the PDVD filter will only display a black screen. I do not have the full list of non DXVA compliant releases, but the black screen occurs on "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and "Batman Gotham Knight." Artifacts occur on "Patton." Anyone using DXVA with these videos and not having issues?

Unstable1
01-05-2009, 12:22 AM
I've come across many HD rips that will not play with DXVA enabled in the MPC Video Decoder - it's not an uncommon problem and it's not a problem with just ESIR releases.

I have the GeForce 8800M GTS video card and I attribute the problem more to the video card than the video file.

Its not uncommon for me that I have to disable DXVA in the MPC Video Decoder to get a movie to play properly. Most of the time it works, but sometimes my video card just doesn't seem to likea particular encode.

I could be wrong, but I believe the problem lies with the video card, not the video file.

puckface
01-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Yes, its not the encode that is the problem. Its like any other thing, some video cards just dont agree with some encodes, I have seen this happen with Eureka and CtrlHD encodes on a friends machine as well.

mbucari1
01-05-2009, 07:42 AM
The problem is that h264 offers a lot of complex encoding options, and hardware decoders only support the basic stuff.

TheManMKD
01-05-2009, 04:55 PM
The 8800GTS does not possess DXVA.

Unstable1
01-05-2009, 05:55 PM

The G92 versions do. The older ones don't.

TheManMKD
01-05-2009, 10:47 PM

He hasn't specified which of the 3 GTS versions he has. The 2 older ones don't have DXVA, but I rushed, I'm sorry. I should have asked which version he has.

hotshot6473
01-05-2009, 11:02 PM
If you want DXVA just get Eureka releases. Their encodes are far superior 90% of the time with a few exceptions here and there such as Sin City.

Reku
01-11-2009, 04:59 AM

He hasn't specified which of the 3 GTS versions he has. The 2 older ones don't have DXVA, but I rushed, I'm sorry. I should have asked which version he has.

I do have the newer GTS with DXVA support. I will keep an eye out for eureka releases, thanks.