PDA

View Full Version : route, switch and headache

SoulSurvivor
01-08-2009, 04:34 AM
After mucking through this on my own for months I'm hoping someone out there chan help me out. I am trying to integrate my network in my shop to my network in my home without running any cables. So far I have succeeded in everything but the file sharing. My setup is a little unorthadox and that may be the root of all my problems.

All Computers running Windows Vista Home
Home router: Linksys WRT54GS
Shop router: Linksys WRT54G

Shop Desktop contains one eternet adapter and one wireless adapter. I have an external antenna connected to the desktop and mounted outside of my shop as to maximixe the signal between it and the home router. To the ethernet port I have connected the shop router (to a LAN port not WAN. DHCP is disabled so the home router handles all the traffic.) Here's where the fun begins.

I have have the two network adapters on the desktop bridged so that I may route my laptop onto the network when I'm in the shop. (Took me a while just to get that to work. Essentially the laptop connects to the shop router, which connects to the shop desktop, which bridges the connection to the wireless router in the house, that is connected to the internet.... Deep breath) Both computers show up on the network map, and surf the internet, but for the life of me I cannot get filesharing to work.

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the Bridging because If I take my laptop to the shop and delete the bridge on the desktop voila... filesharing. Turn it on... and it's gone.
I would ultimately like to be able to access files on the shop computer from my laptop both in the house and in the shop.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
- §§

----------------------------------------------------------------
Of all the things I've lost... I miss my mind the most.

clocker
01-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Lynx is your man.
Probably be along soon.

He's the smart one around here.