PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!! Spam infractions make a comeback

Detale
01-08-2009, 05:48 AM
OK so I tried warning the masses about the crap around here. Now almost all spam will be deleted and infractions given out 30 min after the time of this post. I figure a half hour is enough time for people to read it. Apparently we need a crackdown because it has become rampant. This is the only warning you will get so please pay attention, Thanks

Artemis
01-08-2009, 05:51 AM
:fear:

Detale
01-08-2009, 05:54 AM
27 min later you would get one too homeboy :P

Edit: Art I just read this post of yours in another thread. Since you are way more eloquent than I Thanks for hitting the nail on the head for me ;)

To answer your original question, the bt section used to have the same rules as the rest of the board, including no off topic posts, no excessive flaming etc, but the rules have been relaxed and the bt section is treated as a second lounge.
Unfortunately this seems to have spiralled down lately into random posting from small cliques of users. As you may have noticed alot of users are currently sporting disabled privileges, this is because they did not heed the warning that hostile posting infractions would be handed out. If users persist then they can be put into moderation, i.e. every posts is checked by a moderator before it is allowed to be posted, and then of course ultimately there is banning.
I think the core of the matter is not the spam, this section of the board was always a spam haven but much of it was humor, now it has descended into open hostility between different groups of users and serves no useful purpose. It is this negativity which has grown lately which is detrimental to the board , but it is not this forum that needs to change but rather the attitude of some of it's members.

Seriously though I just read this and to be clear its the useless shit that will be frowned upon. If its funny or good natured that's fine, but completely useless and mean spirited has got to be cleansed starting tonight.

Albo Da Kid
01-08-2009, 06:54 AM
I give this about a week, then everything will go back to how it was. But i support you. As long as we get users like **** and ******** to stfu, you got my vote.

Detale
01-08-2009, 07:08 AM
You are no angel yourself Albo, Baiting other isn't cool either.

apextwin146
01-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Is the 30 min timeframe gauranteed or do we need to test this out :naughty: .. In a few hrs u will be asleep(gud nite) and we will be free again .. Same for T.S.O.L .. Muhaha .. forum staff from same continent ftw!! .. Alternatively u can give me the priviliges to hand out infractions while u r sleeping .. I promise i wont let u down :naughty:

Detale
01-08-2009, 07:20 AM
They'll be here when I get up I'm sure. Feel free to bump the thread for me if it falls off the first page like. So no one bitches "I didn't see it"

apextwin146
01-08-2009, 07:26 AM
They'll be here when I get up I'm sure. Feel free to bump the thread for me if it falls off the first page like. So no one bitches "I didn't see it"
So r u giving me the a license to spam to keep this thread on the first page ?
Anyways i hope u got my point in the previosu post regarding moderators from same continent .. Someone from Japan/ Australia wud be great to in these kind of situations

NA_Magus
01-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Most of the spam is people trying to be funny by posting image macros everyone's seen a thousand times. Guess that only annoys me. I'm glad there's going to be stricter moderation of spam posts.

BlackShadow
01-08-2009, 07:39 AM
If its funny or good natured that's fine, but completely useless and mean spirited has got to be cleansed starting tonight.

So not all spams are forbidden ?

Disme
01-08-2009, 07:41 AM
The only way to prevent the useless spam-flaming-posts is to be very strict ... don't hold back and react from the first signs of useless spam/flame.

If you don't do that I'm afraid this is just gonna continue just like before. You and some others warned earlier about infractions too, but nonetheless I still saw a massive amount of useless posts lately.

The moment this policy will be really felt by the members they will stop. It's like Pavlov ... ones the members are conditioned punishment will follow their postings they will refrain from doing it. Off course they can always create dupe-accounts (if they don't have any already) and use those fresh accounts to spam all over the place. yes I know you need one month, but it's no big deal creating a dozen accounts, just in case, and letting them 'sleep' until they are needed.

Detale
01-08-2009, 07:41 AM
If its funny or good natured that's fine, but completely useless and mean spirited has got to be cleansed starting tonight.

So not all spams are forbidden ?

No as I said in the quote

The only way to prevent the useless spam-flaming-posts is to be very strict ... don't hold back and react from the first signs of useless spam/flame.

If you don't do that I'm afraid this is just gonna continue just like before. You and some others warned earlier about infractions too, but nonetheless I still saw a massive amount of useless posts lately.

The moment this policy will be really felt by the members they will stop. It's like Pavlov ... ones the members are conditioned punishment will follow their postings they will refrain from doing it. Off course they can always create dupe-accounts (if they don't have any already) and use those fresh accounts to spam all over the place. yes I know you need one month, but it's no big deal creating a dozen accounts, just in case, and letting them 'sleep' until they are needed.

Yeah Dis I tried to warn everyone and let people know it was coming and it seemingly did no good but after the record number of infractions I predict I think I will win the worst mod (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-worst-moderator-2008-328090) award easily ;)

Albo Da Kid
01-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Eh forget it.

Disme
01-08-2009, 07:52 AM
I predict I think I will win the worst mod (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-worst-moderator-2008-328090) award easily ;)

That should not bother a thing if with your actions you make the board viable again. The members who mean will with FST and care for it will be thankfull, the unhappy ones just proove they don't belong here at all.

:cool:

KushBlow
01-08-2009, 07:53 AM
I predict I think I will win the worst mod (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-worst-moderator-2008-328090) award easily ;)

Being strict does that. But I agree with the spam thing.

sugam
01-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I think it was about time. It's hard for me to find any usefull information in the bittorrent section. I dont mean there is no any, but because of the tons of shit.

Detale
01-08-2009, 07:56 AM

Being strict does that. But I agree with the spam thing.

Wow Sorry I missed a stop there. My bad

Yeah Dis I tried to warn everyone and let people know it was coming and it seemingly did no good but after the record number of infractions I predict.

I think I will win the worst mod (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-worst-moderator-2008-328090) award easily ;)

KushBlow
01-08-2009, 08:00 AM
So did I :mellow:

Hey I have a question, is JUST posting a funny pic in your post (with no text in the post) considered spam?

Detale
01-08-2009, 08:08 AM
So did I :mellow:

Hey I have a question, is JUST posting a funny pic in your post (with no text in the post) considered spam?

There are different ideas of spam no 1 concise list of what is or is not. I imagine that if the pic is meant to express a word or phrase it would be OK. These things are taken on a case by case basis though. Post history has alot to do with it too.

cinephilia
01-08-2009, 08:10 AM
mmmh, very subjective... and up to the mods :pinch:

Sanka113
01-08-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm a person that's ok with spam up to a certain point long as it keeps the forum active and fun. The problem is that a lot of the spam has been negative spam, thus leading to flame wars and other e-drama. If people are joking around (especially with someone they know) I don't see any harm in that. Be strict but not nazi strict.

meelad
01-08-2009, 08:41 AM
The reason for the majority of spam here is (as I personally feel) the age (and hence, the immaturity) of the members here. Most new torrenters are teens who cannot pay monthly to use the superior newsgroups thingy. They are either too lazy to search around the forums or enjoy flaming others. Then there is also the not so strict enforcement of rules. Just see the other forum sections (except the Lounge, of course) and you will find that there is much less spam there.

I hope this spam infraction will last longer. Good Luck Detale.

Albo Da Kid
01-08-2009, 09:06 AM
They are either too lazy to search around the forums or enjoy flaming others. Then there is also the not so strict enforcement of rules. Just see the other forum sections (except the Lounge, of course) and you will find that there is much less spam there.

This is why we don't hang out in the Lounge http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-lounge-10/t-moviefilms-watched-yesterday-326241

It's just too boring.:dog:

EDIT: But i agree that this vicious spamming should stop. I'll start first.

hagckz0r
01-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Great move Detale! Some spammers got scared already. It is the right time for such a decision.

Albo Da Kid
01-08-2009, 09:14 AM
^And there goes the reason why I want to start spamming again.

Hag you're delusional. sorry if i offended you in any way. Peace

Lovestoned
01-08-2009, 10:59 AM
In forums like FST I think it's unavoidable, stuffs like these happens to alot of forums with a huge amount of users in it.

LubTheStaringCat
01-08-2009, 11:15 AM
"Detale" I just want to apologize for what I said the other day In the BR thread, I would guess If anyone deserved Infractions more would be me considering want I said.

Swift
01-08-2009, 01:55 PM
seems fair and correct .

Detale
01-08-2009, 02:18 PM
"Detale" I just want to apologize for what I said the other day In the BR thread, I would guess If anyone deserved Infractions more would be me considering want I said.

Just behave yourself from now on and there shouldn't be a problem.

Swift
01-08-2009, 02:20 PM
btw i hope this iniciative will be followed by the other mods

mamacita
01-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Great move Detale.

I used to love perusing FST. Sometimes it gave a good laugh, sometimes it was very informative and helpful. I miss Srgnt. Major since he was both at the same time.

Lately though, I've been turned off by the incessant amount of childish bickering and just plain stupidity that is rampant in this section.

I think in fact a lot of people have been turned off by it, as the people I used to enjoy reading or communicating with don't appear to bother posting here anymore.

It's great to see people like Artemis still around and as intellectual as ever.

vic
01-08-2009, 03:59 PM
good news.

ajsi
01-08-2009, 05:03 PM
here we go, finally :)

danio
01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
good move detale!
question though, what do you consider spam? i mean i guess the definition of spam is everything that isn't connected to the OP, but if a thread develops into several parallell discussions between users in one thread, and is not flaming, hating, non-constructive etc, is that still considered spam? where do you draw the line?

Artemis
01-08-2009, 07:03 PM
flaming, hating, non-constructive

You summed up your own answer fairly accurately there :whistling

xnugx
01-08-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm really really glad that this is happening. I think these sections are well overdue for it and it will be a move in the right direction. If you think about it, most trackers don't tolerate spamming and crap attitudes, so why should forums concerned with those trackers be any different?

Anyways, props Detale.

IdolEyes787
01-08-2009, 07:37 PM
If you think about it, most trackers don't tolerate spamming and crap attitudes, so why should forums concerned with those trackers be any different?

Anyways, props Detale.

True some people seem to think that FST is their personal playground much to both the site's and their own detriment but some of those trackers that you fondly mention xnugx also don't seem to to tolerate dissenting opinions either .

Reasonable restraint is one thing but pray that this site never goes down that road.

Btw for the millionth time spam by my definition is anything that doesn't enrich the thread.No one needs to be on topic, agreeable or even serious to accomplish that.

Detale
01-08-2009, 09:41 PM
As long as Im here I'll never let that kind of thing happen to FST ;)

Frankthetank1
01-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I agree people just spam topics to get their posts count up. It's sad who really cares how many posts u have?

danio
01-08-2009, 11:00 PM
If you think about it, most trackers don't tolerate spamming and crap attitudes, so why should forums concerned with those trackers be any different?

Anyways, props Detale.

True some people seem to think that FST is their personal playground much to both the site's and their own detriment but some of those trackers that you fondly mention xnugx also don't seem to to tolerate dissenting opinions either .

Reasonable restraint is one thing but pray that this site never goes down that road.

Btw for the millionth time spam by my definition is anything that doesn't enrich the thread.No one needs to be on topic, agreeable or even serious to accomplish that.

BT mod? :w00t: congratulations mate :D

EDIT: Damn. did i just spam this thread? hah

The_Martinator
01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I agree people just spam topics to get their posts count up. It's sad who really cares how many posts u have?

+1 Do people really just look at the post count and go WOW! or what? You can look at people's posting history and get a better idea IMHO (can't be done if a user only has 5 posts).

1000possibleclaws
01-08-2009, 11:45 PM

+1 Do people really just look at the post count and go WOW! or what? You can look at people's posting history and get a better idea IMHO (can't be done if a user only has 5 posts).

From time to time I'll get frustrated with the people who make 1 word spam posts, and then check their history to see that it's all garbage and delete the lot of it. You're right in that a good way to get to know the newer people here quickly is to browse their posting history, which is why I don't mass delete posts too frequently, and only in the more extreme occasions.

I'd like to add to this thread by bringing up hostile posting. If someone instigates a very hostile and personal post towards you, it would be better to report the original post/defend yourself and let us give the guy an infraction instead of bickering personal insults back to him as well.

Detale
01-09-2009, 03:29 AM
I'd like to add to this thread by bringing up hostile posting. If someone instigates a very hostile and personal post towards you, it would be better to report the original post/defend yourself and let us give the guy an infraction instead of bickering personal insults back to him as well.

Great point T.

peat moss
01-09-2009, 04:18 AM
Thirty minutes is up maybe you can close this thread .

Detale
01-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Why? figure leave it up for a few days so it stays on the front page for a while and no one can complain they didn't see it ;)

NinjaX
01-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Great im tired of all this spam wich fills FST!

Artemis
01-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Why? figure leave it up for a few days so it stays on the front page for a while and no one can complain they didn't see it ;)

Can I spam post to bump the fred ? :blink:

The_Martinator
01-09-2009, 08:38 AM

I'll remember that. Good to know that you don't really have to defend yourself, whenever someone is mean to you.