PDA

View Full Version : search as you type on trackers

Polarbear
01-09-2009, 09:41 PM
i just noticed that softmp3 implemented a search as you type feature. a dynamic real-time search.

i think that's pretty cool and i haven't seen this on any other tracker. i like to be suprised by new innovative features. well done softmp3. :)

integral
01-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Do you mean as you're typing in the search box, a drop-down window appears below it with live torrent search results? It's a good feature, not entirely new but it's not widespread by any means. I hope more trackers implement it, as it's much better than a search results page in my opinion.

Swift
01-09-2009, 09:45 PM
so if you type the incials from some artist it's show a small list in the search box ? if thats the case i saw that before on other trackers !

Polarbear
01-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Do you mean as you're typing in the search box, a drop-down window appears below it with live torrent search results? It's a good feature, not entirely new but it's not widespread by any means. I hope more trackers implement it, as it's much better than a search results page in my opinion.

no, that's old and common.

it shows you the direct hits in the browse page while you type in real time.

check it out. it's really something i havent seen before on bt sites.

Cabalo
01-09-2009, 11:29 PM
sceneFZ has the same.
i saw it at some other trackers too, but right now i can't remember which.

Ghostbusters
01-10-2009, 01:13 AM
anything that saves finger strokes can only be good thing, presumably it filters for categories ?

phrenzy
01-10-2009, 01:29 AM
anything that saves finger strokes can only be good thing, presumably it filters for categories ?

A certain 0day site has that and yes it filters by categories....

ConkiZz
01-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Swedvdr have it too :P Softmp3 is swedvdr's little sister ^^
And an other swedish tracker, powerbits have it.

Skiz
01-10-2009, 01:44 AM
FTN has had this for some time. Never been a fan of it myself. It seems to cater more towards the slow typer than anything else.

Polarbear
01-10-2009, 01:59 AM
you can't even hit the return button after typing your search term in the search field. the results are instantly there. there's no browse.php?incldead=0&search=keyword&titleonly=1 which takes time. i'm not talking about the suggestions in a drop down window in the search field. you can access the whole torrent database in real time while typing.

that would be great for what, waffles or 0-day trackers.

must be a swedish thing.

SaviouR
01-10-2009, 02:06 AM
excellent stuff from the site again . its anyways the most underrated BT site out there be it music or 0day .

db_la_23
01-10-2009, 02:08 AM
demonoid has it

Polarbear
01-10-2009, 02:13 AM
demonoid has it

no, it doesn't. :pinch:

vic
01-10-2009, 02:14 AM
haven't seen that in action but sounds to me like it's really useful, waiting for other tracker to implement this feature

Polarbear
01-10-2009, 02:27 AM
you can also search for songs inside the albums in realtime - nice.

Sanka113
01-10-2009, 07:00 AM
That is pretty cool. Now only they had a one click way to download singles too.

sugam
01-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Just made some tests. Its really helpful. I think I like it.

Ev0
01-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Is it like this search your on about?

http://i43.tinypic.com/b4yj3s.jpg

Polarbear
01-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Is it like this search your on about?

NO, for the third time. :wacko:

TakeMS
01-10-2009, 08:03 PM
FTN has good system! problem their site not good as was cos content slow gets worst. it is problem cos freelech cause it.

jason1337
01-10-2009, 08:08 PM
is it something like this ? :whoosh:

hijump
01-10-2009, 08:25 PM
no .. they have some automated search .. no press the enter buton

BlackKnight
01-10-2009, 08:28 PM
hey mates, could someone give a pic of it. I'm really curious what it is but I'm not in those trackers

is it more comfortable?

hijump
01-10-2009, 08:30 PM
the system is like automated one .... no press the enter buton ...

Brenya
01-10-2009, 09:14 PM
i just noticed that softmp3 implemented a search as you type feature. a dynamic real-time search.
I've seen something similar on TPB. Their multi-page comments aren't divided into distinct webpages or web addresses. You just click on the page you want to view, they show this "Loading..." message, and then the new comments are displayed.

It saves time and bandwidth, but you can't bookmark or load a particular page of the comments (except the first, you know). Same with the searches in softmp3, which could be a drawback.

When I learned PHP, they told us bookmarking was the main reason to use the "GET" method:

<form action="/path/to/receiver.html" method="GET">

instead of the POST. For those who don't know, the GET method sends the variables of the form and their values through the http address. Each variable is a name of an input field:

<input type="text" name="search" value="type your search here" />

and the value is the input. Maybe that's why google uses it.

hxxp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bittorrent&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

It looks like hl means language, whose value is en. That tells the server to display the english version, I guess. The q variable probably stands for query. I "queried" bittorrent. I don't know the rest. But yeah, they are probably from the GET method, although they don't have to be...

So now is the million-dollar question: How do they do it?

Polarbear
01-10-2009, 10:49 PM
probably some combination of an ajax live search and a xmlhttprequest call.

i'm not a coder, i don't care. i'm just interested in results.

i just wanted to point out that this was the first time i've seen a text live search for a whole browse page on a torrent site. not just search suggestions in the search box. no explicit submission is required. the results are ready almost immediately. there's no page reload. results are updated, but the input query is completely unaffected.